Photo
- - - - -

New QB Coach: Rip Scherer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#61 bigdog_10_2002

bigdog_10_2002

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

I must be missing something...what the hell is good about the man that coached Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn and Ken Dorsey to the great fantastic QBs they are right now?

Quinn wasn't playing badly this year before his injury

and

Anderson's bad year had a good bit to do with braylon edwards having butter fingers and Kellen Winslow going through his own soap opera week in and week out.

#62 Ragz

Ragz

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hey everyone. First post here as I now have a good reason for the Panthers becoming my 2nd favorite team (Even family can't beat the years of crying over my pathetic burgundy and gold). Thank god I don't have to bother with the Browns anymore.

You've got yourself a good QB coach here.

Fella who knows a thing or two from another board did some research on him. He called him a QB technician. His career is mostly as a college coach, and he's done well in that arena. Even worked at one stop with panthers OL coach Dave Magazu.

Derek Anderson, Charlie Frye, Brady Quinn, Bruce Gradkowsk, Ken Dorsey

legacy of success

QB Technician is the good call here. He played the position in college ball and its been a focus of him throughout his coaching career. While the Browns was his first trip into the NFL, he did do pretty well through college.

On the lower scale of things, he pretty much shaped JMU into being one of the more respected 1-AA systems and set the groundwork for a lot of what Mickey Matthews has since done with it. He was coaching in Memphis during their big upset miracle win over Mannings Vol's. His last year was marred with extremely close loses and a bad relationship with the Athletic Director that caused the split to happen despite public opinion in support of Rip.

Going into this year he was in the running for the OC job for the Browns but they wanted to go with a "splashier" pick with Chud.

At the start of last year, he and their OC were pushing for DA to start the season. Romeo went with Fyre and we see what happened after that point. A lot of the development of DA likely can be attributed to him. Quinn was also lobbying for him to stay on in Cleveland as he liked him as a coach and wanted him to stick around. Dilfer speaks highly of him and has referenced him as one of the best QB coaches he's had throughout his career.

Him and your OC are apparently of similar minds and should get on well. Hopefully he'll help with the mechanical issues of Delhomme and can help the development of whatever young QB you all have/plan on getting to groom.

If you all were wanting someone that can help polish and coach up the fundamentals and technical aspects of QB play I think you've got yourself a great coach here.

Looking forward to watching the Panthers in 09.

#63 mantal

mantal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Hey everyone. First post here as I now have a good reason for the Panthers becoming my 2nd favorite team (Even family can't beat the years of crying over my pathetic burgundy and gold). Thank god I don't have to bother with the Browns anymore.

You've got yourself a good QB coach here.

QB Technician is the good call here. He played the position in college ball and its been a focus of him throughout his coaching career. While the Browns was his first trip into the NFL, he did do pretty well through college.

On the lower scale of things, he pretty much shaped JMU into being one of the more respected 1-AA systems and set the groundwork for a lot of what Mickey Matthews has since done with it. He was coaching in Memphis during their big upset miracle win over Mannings Vol's. His last year was marred with extremely close loses and a bad relationship with the Athletic Director that caused the split to happen despite public opinion in support of Rip.

Going into this year he was in the running for the OC job for the Browns but they wanted to go with a "splashier" pick with Chud.

At the start of last year, he and their OC were pushing for DA to start the season. Romeo went with Fyre and we see what happened after that point. A lot of the development of DA likely can be attributed to him. Quinn was also lobbying for him to stay on in Cleveland as he liked him as a coach and wanted him to stick around. Dilfer speaks highly of him and has referenced him as one of the best QB coaches he's had throughout his career.

Him and your OC are apparently of similar minds and should get on well. Hopefully he'll help with the mechanical issues of Delhomme and can help the development of whatever young QB you all have/plan on getting to groom.

If you all were wanting someone that can help polish and coach up the fundamentals and technical aspects of QB play I think you've got yourself a great coach here.

Looking forward to watching the Panthers in 09.

Welcome to the Huddle. I believe this is probably the first time we've ever gotten a new fan due to a coaching hire...

#64 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

Fella who knows a thing or two from another board did some research on him. He called him a QB technician. His career is mostly as a college coach, and he's done well in that arena. Even worked at one stop with panthers OL coach Dave Magazu.

His being a "technician" could well make him the "anti-McCoy", actually working with QBs on their mechanics rather than just saying "throw how you like". People will expect that he'll likely have more impact on Matt Moore than on McCown or Delhomme, but I wouldn't be too quick to rule out his having an effect on the veteran guys.

sounds about where I was on this, yes :D

fwiw, he was head coach at Memphis and Magazu was already an assistant there. He kept Magazu, who then left for BC, and had a different line coach every year thereafter. His biggest problems as a head coach included lackluster recruiting and the line coach issue, but he was considered a man with a lot of integrity, a hard worker, and a good coach.

#65 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,217 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

sounds about where I was on this, yes :D

fwiw, he was head coach at Memphis and Magazu was already an assistant there. He kept Magazu, who then left for BC, and had a different line coach every year thereafter. His biggest problems as a head coach included lackluster recruiting and the line coach issue, but he was considered a man with a lot of integrity, a hard worker, and a good coach.

Do I know you? :confused:

:cool:

#66 tachman

tachman

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

Nice.

Now for a new DC.

observer says defensive whats his name is going to be resigned, dooms day, next year the panthers or kittet kats with that tg cant pronounce it will play a tougher schedule, like maybe pittsburgh, baltimore,indy, they will get the crap pounded out of them, the panthers suck right now, where is cowher:nopity:

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com