Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Delhommey

Last Day

Delhommey    2,796

Finally the country gets to pull the handle and flush away the worst president in a generation.

Here's hoping he doesn't nuke somebody on his last day.

Davidson Deac II    4,210

I remember a few of our posters saying, or at least posting articles that said he would attack Iran before leaving office. They have less than 24 hours to be proven right. :)

cookinwithgas    7,381

If Iraq had gone the way he expected, I would imagine that we would be a lot more actively engaged militarily with them over the accusations of Iranian help against us in the Shiite areas of Iraq.

Matt Foley    1

If Iraq had gone the way he expected, I would imagine that we would be a lot more actively engaged militarily with them over the accusations of Iranian help against us in the Shiite areas of Iraq.

Israel wanted to strike Iran and Bush said "not with our blessing."

Zod    14,969

Worst President in nearly a century. And some of you people voted for him....twice.

ugh

Jase    12,328

Finally the country gets to pull the handle and flush away the worst president in a generation, so we can drop a new, freshly polished turd in there.

:conehead:

cookinwithgas    7,381

Well Jimmy didn't start any stupid wars. He inherited a terrible economy from a lame duck presidential replacement and did not do much to help (my position is that the President can't control this too much anyways), and to his credit brought Israel and Egypt to the table, something that no other President has had as much success at.

Johnson did a lot of bad things (Vietnam escalation) but also did a lot of good things (equal rights). At least he had the humanity to realize that his Vietnam decision was wrong and it caused him a lot of anguish later on.

Dubyas choice to go into Afganistan (his best decision maybe), IMHO, would have been the course of action of any person sitting in that chair. Economically he had no problem with cutting taxes without cutting spending, led us into massive debt and refused to check it, added a gigantic unneeded war, and then kind of retreated into a shell during the election cycle. He was in fact a terrible leader, relied on people more interested in conservative dogma than practical reality, and IMHO used the highest office in the land to prove himself to his daddy.

People don't seem to remember that Reagan won because he made a deal with the religious right - something that the Republicans were not interested in before, as republican "free choice" ideology does not work well with far right Christian "do as we say!" attitudes on many subjects. Dogmatism in the Republican party led to the same on the left, which explains the complete polarization of the parties, despite their both really being in the middle on most subjects, that we see today.

Bush is the ultimate representation of the Reagan sell out philosophy based on "the good old days" that never really existed - he wore his contradictions on his sleeve and people could finally figure out that they didn't make a lot of sense. Now the Republicans are trying to "reinvent themselves" which I am all in favor of - dump the moral high ground crap, become more Libertarian, and embrace the issues of the people that will be the majority by the end of the century if you want to provide a true counterpoint to the Democrats, as sheer numbers will continue to roll in their direction and will cause them to get complacent and further away from what the people may actually want.