45 replies to this topic

#31 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,716 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

If Bush said half the things LBJ said on those tapes, he'd be vilified.

lbj would be vilified because you shouldn't let someone else record half of your tapes for you.

#32 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,670 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

lbj would be vilified because you shouldn't let someone else record half of your tapes for you.

If I were president, the first thing I would do is get rid of all the tape recorders. Wouldn't want the folks in Dallas hearing me refer to pansy ass cowboy fans on Sundays. :)

#33 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

What was the word they had for Democrats who would never vote for a black man? Yellow dog democrats? Something like that? LBJ was a yellow dog Dem from the word go.

#34 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

What was the word they had for Democrats who would never vote for a black man? Yellow dog democrats? Something like that? LBJ was a yellow dog Dem from the word go.

yellow dog dems were old southern dems who would vote for a yellow dog before a republican. the term was dead before anyone even thought about putting black men in seats of power.

http://en.wikipedia....ow_dog_democrat

here you go.

#35 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:25 PM

Okay. Well some were using it last year to describe the dems who wouldn't vote for Obama.

I seriously doubt LBJ pushed for Civil Rights legislation so much as he just got out of its way.

#36 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,670 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

Sigmund, I think you are thinking of Blue dog democrats. Those are conservative democrats.

#37 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,105 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

No, LBJ did a lot of work on getting the Civil Rights Act passed. He is the one who said we would lose the white southern vote for at least a generation, and he was right.

There was a documentary about LBJ on PBS a while ago showing all the calls and favors he made to get the votes needed to pass, and all the arm twisting he did.

http://en.wikipedia....Representatives

Passage in the House of Representatives
The bill was sent to the House of Representatives, and referred to the House Judiciary Committee, chaired by Emmanuel Celler. After a series of hearings on the bill, Celler's committee greatly strengthened the act, adding provisions to ban racial discrimination in employment, providing greater protection to black voters, eliminating segregation in all publicly-owned facilities (not just schools), and strengthening the anti-segregation clauses regarding public facilities such as lunch counters. They also added authorization for the Attorney General to file lawsuits to protect individuals against the deprivation of any rights secured by the Constitution or U.S. law. In essence, this was the controversial "Title III" that had been removed from the 1957 and 1960 Acts. Civil rights organizations pressed hard for this provision because it could be used to protect peaceful protesters and black voters from police brutality and suppression of free speech rights.

The bill was reported out of the Judiciary Committee in November 1963, and was then referred to the Rules Committee, whose chairman, Howard W. Smith, a Democrat from Virginia, indicated his intention to keep the bill bottled up indefinitely. It was at this point that President Kennedy was assassinated. The new president, Lyndon Johnson, utilized his experience in legislative politics and the bully pulpit he wielded as president in support of the bill.

Because of Smith's stalling of the bill in the Rules Committee, Celler filed a petition to discharge the bill from the Committee. Only if a majority of members signed the discharge petition would the bill move directly to the House floor without consideration by Smith's committee. Initially Celler had a difficult time acquiring the signatures necessary, as even many congressmen who supported the civil rights bill itself were cautious about violating House procedure with the discharge petition. By the time of the 1963 winter recess, 50 signatures were still needed.

On the return from the winter recess, however, matters took a significant turn. The pressure of the civil rights movement, the March on Washington, and the President's public advocacy of the Act had made a difference of opinion in Representatives' home districts, and soon it became apparent that the petition would acquire the necessary signatures. To prevent the humiliation of the success of the petition, Chairman Smith allowed the bill to pass through the Rules Committee. The bill was brought to a vote in the House on February 10, 1964, and passed by a vote of 290 to 130, and sent to the Senate.

#38 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

He pulled his dog up by its ears. Need I say more? He was berry berry berry bad main.

#39 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

Some of those mundane tapes are the best.

'The crotch, down where your nuts hang....' classic.

Crappy president, funny tapes.

#40 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

the best story about lbj is that the second nixon became president and the door on johnson's airplane closed, he whipped out a cigarette, his first since becoming vice president.

his daughter said, "dad, no, you'll kill yourself."

he looked at her and said "i've raised you, i've been president, ive done all i can. it's time."

he spent the last 4 or so years of his life drinking straight scotch and speeding around the roads of texas with the top down.

#41 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,670 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

LBJ was a politician first and foremost. He voted against the Truman Civil Rights package because he knew that he had to in order to get re-elected. In private conversations, he used the n word frequently. Yet as cwg said, he worked hard to get the Civil Rights bill passed while he was president. He definitely had some contradictions in his life.

But as someone said earlier about Bush, Johnson's civil rights work doesn't excuse 350,000 american casualties in Vietnam.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 19 January 2009 - 04:04 PM.

#42 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

In fairness, LBJ and Ford never would have been president if not for what happened to Kennedy and Nixon. Bush, on the other hand, was elected twice. He's living proof of the dangers of knee jerk reactions in either direction.

#43 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

what did LBJ say I am uninformed on the tapes and would love for you to tell me what he said...with links to your resources...of course.

#44 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

what did LBJ say I am uninformed on the tapes and would love for you to tell me what he said...with links to your resources...of course.

http://americanradio...lbj_haggar.html

#45 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

all you need to know is that he had to have his pants specially tailored to give him more room in the crotch region...."near the bunghole"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com