Photo
- - - - -

Duke 2011 vs. Duke 2010

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#61 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

Meat right. Duke fan wrong.

Like Meat you have no idea.:rolleyes:

#62 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:24 AM

Really? Now I know you are crazy. In 2006 UF played 14-11-7-1-11-2, and the #1 seed they beat was Nova who was struggling at the end of the year. They were blown out by Pitt in the Big East tourney, only beat Monmouth by 13 in the first round, only beat Arizona by 4 in the second round, and squeaked by BC in OT by a point before losing to UF. But that was tougher than Duke's run this year, right?:rolleyes:

I thought about that (because of George Mason) after I wrote it, but was too lazy to go back and change it because they beat UCLA in the final.

Basically it always comes down to this. Did you beat name schools on the way, or beat the schools who beat the name schools? Duke did the latter. That's not their fault. That's the other name schools' fault. But it's just not as impressive to beat a Purdue team that was a shell of itself without that white kid, a Baylor team that choked down the stretch because it had never been there before, a West Virginia team that thought it could beat Duke the same way it beat UK, and a Butler team that, correct me if I'm wrong, had never been past the Sweet 16 before.

But so what? Ten years from now it's not like people are going to say "Duke has three and a half titles, because that one wasn't as impressive." Just enjoy it without trying to tell us it was as tough as the other ones. Hell, Kentucky beat Seattle to win one of its early titles. I don't think Seattle is still a Division I team. In 1978 we escaped a showdown with top five team Marquette in the Sweet 16 when they lost to Miami of Ohio. Stuff happens.

It's not like Duke can be like Achilles in Troy ("Get up prince, I won't let a stone take my glory") and demand to play UK in the Final Four and Kansas in the Final.

#63 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

HUDDLER

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

I thought about that (because of George Mason) after I wrote it, but was too lazy to go back and change it because they beat UCLA in the final.

Basically it always comes down to this. Did you beat name schools on the way, or beat the schools who beat the name schools? Duke did the latter. That's not their fault. That's the other name schools' fault. But it's just not as impressive to beat a Purdue team that was a shell of itself without that white kid, a Baylor team that choked down the stretch because it had never been there before, a West Virginia team that thought it could beat Duke the same way it beat UK, and a Butler team that, correct me if I'm wrong, had never been past the Sweet 16 before. But so what? Ten years from now it's not like people are going to say "Duke has three and a half titles, because that one wasn't as impressive." Just enjoy it without trying to tell us it was as tough as the other ones. Hell, Kentucky beat Seattle to win one of its early titles. I don't think Seattle is still a Division I team. In 1978 we escaped a showdown with top five team Marquette in the Sweet 16 when they lost to Miami of Ohio. Stuff happens.

It's not like Duke can be like Achilles in Troy ("Get up prince, I won't let a stone take my glory") and demand to play UK in the Final Four and Kansas in the Final.

Like I said Purdue was a likely #1 maybe #2 with Hummel but he was not the whole team so they were still a tough out as a #4. Baylor choked? Duke outplayed them at the end of the game it had absolutely nothing to do with Baylor choking, it was a home game for god's sake. Duke was just better then WVU, offensively and defensively. I am not saying it was the toughest road ever but it sure as hell was not the easiest. Even unc's run in 2005 was not as tough as Duke's, they played a 16,9,5,6,5,1, but in your mind, I guess since they had to play a "#1" it was tougher.

#64 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

HUDDLER

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

Like Meat you have no idea.:rolleyes:

:eek: you are so right

#65 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

Like I said Purdue was a likely #1 maybe #2 with Hummel but he was not the whole team so they were still a tough out as a #4. Baylor choked? Duke outplayed them at the end of the game it had absolutely nothing to do with Baylor choking, it was a home game for god's sake. Duke was just better then WVU, offensively and defensively. I am not saying it was the toughest road ever but it sure as hell was not the easiest. Even unc's run in 2005 was not as tough as Duke's, they played a 16,9,5,6,5,1, but in your mind, I guess since they had to play a "#1" it was tougher.

Yes, Illinois in St. Louis was tougher than Butler in Indianapolis. Illinois was THE team to beat that year. And yes, UNC had a cakewalk before that.

#66 pdandy1994

pdandy1994

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:26 PM

I think what it comes down to is just the fact that Duke had a team that could withstand the exhaustion of a late season run. They had size down low for rebounding, played awesome defense and had good perimeter shooting...kinda like...Butler. They played as teams, they had perfect role players. Not one star like a John Wall (i know Singler and Heyward) but it wasn't that "prodigy" 1 and done type guys.

#67 Jhyler12

Jhyler12

Go Time!

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

It doesn't matter Duke sucks...

#68 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

Administrators

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

Watching Kyrie Irving....Holy Jesus Christ.

#69 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

HUDDLER

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

It doesn't matter Duke sucks...

Wow, great insight, thanks for posting.:rolleyes: