Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Potential Head Coaches

1,228 posts in this topic

I'll give a PS to my post above, I guarantee you, they did not see Siefert or Fox coming here either. They know what the organization wants them to know and nothing more.

We don't know until Jerry speaks.

Actually, they have seen prior coaches coming, and they've seen roster moves coming before we did as well.

It's pretty tough to defend the notion that fans on a message board know as much or more than the beat writers who actually have access to people inside the organization on a regular basis. Especially so given that nearly everything we know comes from them.

If you're a Cowher or Gruden fan, feel free to hope. But if I were you, I'd prepare for disappointment.

I will just be happy when the season is over. Its just time for a major change in Carolina...

I don't care what anyone's opinons are.

It's just annoying when people say 'it isn't going to happen' when the fact is, particularly on the coaching move, the only one who knows what is going to happen is the man who writes the checks, and that man is JR.

Everyone else, just guessing or pontificating.

There's guessing, and there's educated guessing.

I could theorize that Jerry Richardson's going to hire Dabo Swinney, and if anyone doubted me I could come back with "well you don't know, he might" but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, would it?

Based on what we've heard from people with better sources than we do, I'm saying Cowher and Gruden are not possibilities. Circumstances tell me that Frazier, Garrett, Zimmer and probably Heimerdinger are out of the picture too. Grimm, Harbaugh, McDermott and others are still in play.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. But as the saying goes, them's the facts.

I know JR wants to go after a young hot coordinator because he wont have to pay them as much, but it seems like that he tries to penny pinch with everything. Why? I know it's a business and money is a big factor in all decisions, but come on man! It seems like a role of the dice to hire these first time head coaches. Bill is there for the taking. Does he really think Bill Cowher is not going to win?

Jr wants a hot young coordinator because he believes in the Steelers hiring system and they hire hot young coordinators.

I looked back at the Steelers HC search when they hired Tomlin and found:

The Steelers chose Mr. Tomlin after vacillating between him and Russ Grimm, the team's assistant head coach and offensive line coach. The Steelers decided not to wait for Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the third finalist for the job, because he would not be available to be hired for another two weeks.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755830-66.stm#ixzz17IRTtxuK

and this:

Knowing that JR talks with the Rooney's on a regular basis, I see him going with Grimm or Rivera. I would prefer Harbaugh but that seems less likely to me.