#976 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

Adam Schefter expounded on his comments from monday night:

It is a foregone conclusion that coach John Fox will be leaving the Panthers when his contract expires after this season. And there's already talk centering on one of the candidates to replace him. The Panthers will consider hiring Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm to replace Fox, according to two NFL sources. Grimm is a logical candidate for a multitude of reasons. For starters, Grimm's credentials make him one of the top assistant coaching prospects available. Panthers owner Jerry Richardson also is close to Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, whose team trained Grimm as a coach. When Richardson made his first head-coaching hire, he hired former Steelers defensive coordinator Dom Capers. And Grimm's former head coach with the Washington Redskins, Joe Gibbs, who is popular in NASCAR country in Charlotte, has been pushing Grimm's candidacy. Grimm would not be as pricey as a coach like Bill Cowher, which would make him even more appealing to Richardson. But when the Panthers sift through head-coaching candidates after this season, Grimm is firmly expected to be on or near the top of the list.

http://sports.espn.g...10spot/10week13

#977 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,574 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

All still speculation, and nothing we hadn't said here weeks ago.

(outside of attributing it to "NFL sources")

#978 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

the term "NFL sources" amuse me. It's so vague, it could be anyone, in any position.

#979 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

I found the Harbaugh part interesting

Adam Schefter
(2:54 PM)

No, Pete, my report simply implies that Carolina has considered Russ Grimm and it won't surprise me to see the Panthers interview him after this season. Can't talk to him now; not allowed. Ron Rivera also is another superb candidate and worthy choice. He's done a great job with the Chargers defense and has been ready for a head-coaching gig for a while now. As for Harbaugh, I don't see the Panthers spending the money it would take.

http://espn.go.com/s...r-adam-schefter

#980 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,730 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

I found the Harbaugh part interesting

http://espn.go.com/s...r-adam-schefter

aside from the penny pinching that obviously resulted in a big fail this year (even richardson realizes it) why people would think richardson won't pay money for a coach...esp. like harbaugh. the type of money that cowher most likely is going to be demanding....that might be questionable, but harbaugh?

one thing that schefter said in his chat today was that luck coming out and carolina getting the first pick would be a heck of a HC recruiting tool. same goes for harbaugh. being able to get luck would be a great recruiting tool for harbaugh and having both of them would be a great recruiting tool for FAs down the road.

from what i have seen, harbaugh loves the idea of being able to build a team and that is exactly what he would have here with players not a whole lot older than what he has had at stanford. he'd have a run game similar to what he had there (well, a lot better actually) and his QB already primed to carry out his offense. it just seems like a no brainer to me. richardson's contract would most likely be incentive based and he has shown that if you win big here, he'll pay you big.

#981 whynot

whynot

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

Its not likely that next coach will turn team around in one season,but Richardson
needs a coach that can bring back some excitment. If we lose I hope theteam knows
it was in a game.Id love to have Harbaugh and Luck if we are going to struggle a little while with a young team.A couple of years down the road we could be serious contenders

#982 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

Its not likely that next coach will turn team around in one season,but Richardson
needs a coach that can bring back some excitment. If we lose I hope theteam knows
it was in a game.Id love to have Harbaugh and Luck if we are going to struggle a little while with a young team.A couple of years down the road we could be serious contenders

There is talent on this team. The turnaround won't be that hard.

#983 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,574 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

aside from the penny pinching that obviously resulted in a big fail this year (even richardson realizes it) why people would think richardson won't pay money for a coach...esp. like harbaugh. the type of money that cowher most likely is going to be demanding....that might be questionable, but harbaugh?

one thing that schefter said in his chat today was that luck coming out and carolina getting the first pick would be a heck of a HC recruiting tool. same goes for harbaugh. being able to get luck would be a great recruiting tool for harbaugh and having both of them would be a great recruiting tool for FAs down the road.

from what i have seen, harbaugh loves the idea of being able to build a team and that is exactly what he would have here with players not a whole lot older than what he has had at stanford. he'd have a run game similar to what he had there (well, a lot better actually) and his QB already primed to carry out his offense. it just seems like a no brainer to me. richardson's contract would most likely be incentive based and he has shown that if you win big here, he'll pay you big.

I'm trying to remember the last time Schefter speculated something about the Panthers that made sense (or came true). He's gone way downhill since parting ways with the NFL Network.

Gantt has said that Richardson wants the next coach to be a special guy, a guy who can coach here for a decade or more (at least) and have the team in perennial contention.

He knows he doesn't have as much time left as he used to, and he wants to see this team be what he imagined it to be before he passes. So as far as the next head coach goes, I seriously doubt salary is going to be an issue for the guy he really wants.

Edited by Mr Scot, 04 December 2010 - 01:13 AM.

#984 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:52 AM

Agreed. I also think it's possible J.R. goes for broke and makes either a big splash hire or a big splash in free agency to send a message to the fanbase that he's not the cheapskate he's been accused of being due to the potential lockout.

Imagine Larry Fitzgerald in a Panthers uniform with #1 overall pick Andrew Luck under center throwing to him AND Steve Smith... :eek:

#985 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:24 AM

I'm trying to remember the last time Schefter speculated something about the Panthers that made sense (or came true). He's gone way downhill since parting ways with the NFL Network.

Gantt has said that Richardson wants the next coach to be a special guy, a guy who can coach here for a decade or more (at least) and have the team in perennial contention.

He knows he doesn't have as much time left as he used to, and he wants to see this team be what he imagined it to be before he passes. So as far as the next head coach goes, I seriously doubt salary is going to be an issue for the guy he really wants.

Sounds like a young college head coach named Harbaugh to me

#986 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

Or Brian Schottenheimer.

#987 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:06 AM

Or Brian Schottenheimer.

Touche'

#988 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,574 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

I can't say the thought of Schottenheimer makes me feel all that confident, honestly.

He may indeed turn out to be a good head coach someday, but he's not someone that I find especially intriguing right now.

#989 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,000 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

Question:

Considering how many moves Richardson has made to brace for the lockout (which he seems to be pretty damn convinced will happen), what type of coach does he want for a franchise in such discourse over the span of a year without football?

He needs a coach who first and foremost can adapt to how the GM-HC relationship here works for basically a year of post-season. That's why this whole thing is gonna completely surprise us and its because the interviews are gonna mean just as much, maybe even more than a resume in the end. I can totally see our FO retreating, going a safe route for an experienced coach who understands how to really operate a team off the field and who can also be relatively quite.

So, its fun to think about Harbaugh, but I don't think he'd want to wade around in a franchise with our situation for a potential year without football. Additionally, I don't think Richardson would want a coach that talks as much as he does under the scenario. This whole search is still a huge question mark because the whole CBA thing will not only determine what type of coach Richardson wants here, but how much of a risk he's willing to take. I'm deciding to wait for a while on guessing who there actually gonna pick even though I have my favorites. I'm expecting a surprise for better or worse.

#990 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,574 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

Question:

Considering how many moves Richardson has made to brace for the lockout (which he seems to be pretty damn convinced will happen), what type of coach does he want for a franchise in such discourse over the span of a year without football?

He needs a coach who first and foremost can adapt to how the GM-HC relationship here works for basically a year of post-season. That's why this whole thing is gonna completely surprise us and its because the interviews are gonna mean just as much, maybe even more than a resume in the end. I can totally see our FO retreating, going a safe route for an experienced coach who understands how to really operate a team off the field and who can also be relatively quite.

So, its fun to think about Harbaugh, but I don't think he'd want to wade around in a franchise with our situation for a potential year without football. Additionally, I don't think Richardson would want a coach that talks as much as he does under the scenario. This whole search is still a huge question mark because the whole CBA thing will not only determine what type of coach Richardson wants here, but how much of a risk he's willing to take. I'm deciding to wait for a while on guessing who there actually gonna pick even though I have my favorites. I'm expecting a surprise for better or worse.

The lockout would affect every team, not just us. Every team looking for a new coach will be in the same boat we are.

Richardson's not stupid. He isn't going to choose a coach based on how he'll perform during a labor stoppage. He'll hire based on how that guy will coach once the labor stoppage is over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.