31 replies to this topic

#1 PantherPhann

PantherPhann

The voice of reason!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

Am I the only one thats a little upset that we gave Moose #87 to David Clowney. Now this is not a shot at Clowney, he has been given a great oppurtunity here as well as Thomas b/c they're going up against rookies for roster spots. I just think/believe in a little more loyalty. Moose has been great for us for so many years, I just think that its a little disrepectful to give his number away all willy nilly like that. If we aren't going to retire a players number that has earned it, then at least we should hold on to it for a while. At least then it will look like we really respected him. What you guys think bout this?

#2 Makish

Makish

Your In the Danger Zone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

dont care a numbers a number,its not like moose was J.Rice

#3 cdandi1

cdandi1

Formerly JerryRich4Pres

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

does anyone know what number thomas will wear?

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

not a big deal. might have been a bigger deal had he never left but even then...meh.

#5 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

yes

#6 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

does anyone know what number thomas will wear?

80. blah.

here's hoping that the new 87 and the new 80 will have greater success than the guys who wore them before.

#7 Phil Dees

Phil Dees

1-20-2013 End of an Error

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

If we aren't going to retire a players number that has earned it, then at least we should hold on to it for a while.

#51 was retired.

#8 PantherPhann

PantherPhann

The voice of reason!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Well maybe it is just me. Moose proved himself time and time again with us. I believes that he deserved a little more respect. I think that respecting/honoring players builds character within the organization. That is something that I think NFL players would and do appreciate, but it can't be appreciated if its not being done. All the little things matters and I think that this is one of those little things!

#9 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

moose was great and is borderline as far retiring his jersey, number 89 most likely will be the next to be retired(even if he ends his career somewhere else)

#10 9ernation94

9ernation94

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

dont care a numbers a number,its not like moose was J.Rice

:cheers2:

#11 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

not a big deal. might have been a bigger deal had he never left but even then...meh.

this

#12 cdandi1

cdandi1

Formerly JerryRich4Pres

• HUDDLER
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

I remember a few people were upset when we gave Minter's number to Godfrey, but at the end of the day its not a huge deal. IF you retired everyone's number who was a decent player, players would be wearing numbers in the 200's.

#13 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

that's what happens when you have a team that has managed to stay mediocre for most of it's existence and has only a few players that were consistently above average who were here for a long time.

there isn't one player that has been on the team for more than a couple years who i would consider HoF material. a couple have been close but in the long run they will only be footnotes. some might have to do with their surroundings but oh well.

imo, it's a sad state of affairs when there is even a thought that moose's #87 should be retired or even held back. might have been a fan favorite but i don't think we have all that high of a set of standards. i mean people got upset at losing an old and increasingly injury prone FB that took 8 years of playing before he turned anywhere close to relevant. dwayne jarrett had his own fan club.
it's a culture of mediocrity and john "all i want to be is a little better than average" fox did nothing to help it.

/making mountain out of a molehill

#14 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,593 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

why are people so obsessed with retiring numbers when we haven't even gone 20 seasons yet

#15 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

why are people so obsessed with retiring numbers when we haven't even gone 20 seasons yet

jealousy?

it's the same reason we complain about our fanbase being so small and the team getting so little recognition. same reason we complain about having so many jerseys of other teams in the BoA.

we just haven't been around long enough for us to have much of a history and we haven't done enough to warrant many people paying much attention to us. some of it stems from the owner. we want to be just like some other teams instead of creating our own legacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.