Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Article Written About Failure of John Fox and Coaching Staff

116 posts in this topic

Posted

What also sucks, is that we can't even really evaluate our players when we run this shitty offense. Hell, Jimmy could be doing as well as Sam Bradford if he played in their scheme for all we know. We're running a diluted offense that gives nothing but frustration to our fans and our team seemingly. GAHHH

1 person likes this

Posted

and as far as Im concerned, Fox can screw himself. Lame duck or not, no vets are not, he has a job to do, and is getting $6.5 million to do it. I have zero sympathy for him.

Agree 100%... He wasn't whining about the lack of talent and a "budget" when JR gave him his first head coaching job taking over a 1-15 team...

This isn't the first article talking about the lack of quality coaches on Fox's coaching staff, which have went progressively downhill since he's been here.

Henning and Del Rio (and even Trgovac) are a far cry from Davidson and Meeks.

I know Meeks gets props here but he is not very well-regarded nationally. Meeks is a very likeable coach, but the general consensus is that he is not a very strong or demanding coach. People believe Dungy protected him in Indy even when he had under-performing units, and Polian showed him the door once Dungy was gone.

Most league people think the defense remains competive b/c of Fox, which I agree.

And Davidson is a joke. Worst play-calling I've ever seen at the pro level given the players on this team. Maybe some of the blame lies with Fox as well, but it's lazy, unimaginative, self-defeating, garbage.

St. Louis is in a similar situation on offense and they are finding ways to get their playmakers involved, put points on the board, and win games.

It does make you wonder why... Does Fox not want strong voices (and coaches) on his staff or can he not attract top assistants? Either way, the Panthers have suffered b/c of this, and I'm sure JR has taken notice...

The mass exodus of coaches after the 2008 season is still strange to me

Fox is a very good (if not great) Defensive Coordinator, but he does not have the makings of a great head coach. Average maybe, but not great and not even very good. And 9 years is a large enough sample size to make a judgement.

Posted

same stuff a lot of us have been saying for a long time. very interesting to see those thoughts expressed by industry folks.

for those of you thinking that fox will have a job right away when he walks out of carolina...you might want to be thinking otherwise. unless it is a team that has a history of making bad coaching decisions i doubt you will see him anywhere. it isn't just his coaching that will give him a hard time...do you think anyone will be able to trust him with finding the right coaching staff?

i was looking yesterday at the upcoming schedule and the more i look at it, the more i figure we might be able to get 2 wins this year....might. rams just beat the chargers and that was one of the games we were thinking we would do well in. the seahawks just beat the bears in chicago.

we might be able to beat the 49ers and cleveland but even then, unless something changes with the coaching i wouldn't count on it.

Posted

Moore may have never been yanked at all had everything not gone wrong here. The O-Line takes so much of the blame, as does Double Trouble's traditional slow start. That, countered with Davdison's lack of a sack doomed this team from the get go and it has dug us to a point of no return. I feel bad for our QBs. Neither of them are THIS bad, but they have what they have and it's up to them to work with it. I still say it'll take 3-5 more games before guys like Gettis and LaFell are comfortable out there. Thankfully they signed Clowney and Thomas. Though that only helps a tad.

Posted

well, we have incompetent people leading the way.....doing more probably doesn't help when you are doing the wrong things.

We basically went to Clev to get our offense. OC and QB coach.....no wonder we suck on offense.

where did we find out WR coach? not much better there.

Posted

Tyke Tolbert came from Buffalo...

We are picking coaching talent from Cleveland and Buffalo... And now we have joined them at the bottom of the league

1 person likes this

Posted

Dan Arkush and the PFW staff are based out of Chicago, so it'd be no surprise if his "talent evaluator" was someone on the Bears staff (maybe even Jerry Angelo). That said, they've most certainly got contacts all over, so who knows?

As far as the article, I think it's probably (sadly) accurate. I don't buy for a moment that jerry Richardson planned to tank this season. Nor do I believe Marty Hurney expected things to go this bad.

Fox though? Given the circumstances, it's possible he's taken a "screw it, I'm outta here" approach.

Posted

Sigh...

Posted

From the Bills...:(

Man, this article is painfully true. JR will have ALOT of explaining to do in the upcoming year

Posted

Tyke Tolbert came from Buffalo...

We are picking coaching talent from Cleveland and Buffalo... And now we have joined them at the bottom of the league

so to sum it up, we went to Clev and Buffalo to get the offensive help.

went to Indy for the defensive help.

that makes sense I guess.....

I agree with others, the spin that Fox will find a job right away is nonsense. Organizations are able to see the same nonsense we are as fans.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think a lot of John Fox. I don't get it — maybe they have just had too much change on that coaching staff. I don't get it. I have seen high school teams that are coached much better."

Davidson, in particular, is receiving his share of flak.

"They are getting the quarterback killed," the executive said. "Jeff Davidson does not get it — look at his track record and how he has fared as a coordinator. Some of those coaches that could not get it done in Cleveland are now coaching for Carolina, and it's the same story. Forget taking advantage of matchups — they have a hard time just getting the right personnel on the field. They leave a lot of points on the board.

"They are on the one-yard line and they are going to run a toss into the boundary — come on! If you are going to keep running the stretch all day, you better have some plays to change it up. They don't; that's why the ends keep crashing hard and DeAngelo (Williams) is getting tackled behind the line.

"There is not an easier team in the league to defend against."

Sounds pretty hopeless. Makes me wish JR had thrown them all out during the bye week and got some guys who wanted to prove they were good coaches.

And yea, all this is stuff we have been saying here.

Posted

It appears Fox and his lackluster bunch of misfit coaches are giving JR the shaft maybe like they feel he has give them. At least he is paying them good. Terrible situation!