75 replies to this topic

#46 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Jeez.

It was just a silly crack made by a guy that is most likely southern himself.

Lighten up.

Racism is everywhere, as it is a sad component of our ingroup-outgroup natural tendencies.
Only through education and exposure can we overcome the ignorance, and it takes time.
And effort.

But I would say the South is doing a whole helluva lot better lately, wouldn't you?

#47 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,564 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

But I would say the South is doing a whole helluva lot better lately, wouldn't you?

Panthro would say that's because of all of the gracious northerners who have come down here to show us the way. :cool:

#48 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

Panthro would say that's because of all of the gracious northerners who have come down here to show us the way. :cool:

I have another name for that:

Polution

#49 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,256 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

You are able to tell me pollution via computer instead of by carrier pigeon bc of us

#50 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

Jeez.

It was just a silly crack made by a guy that is most likely southern himself.

Lighten up.

Racism is everywhere, as it is a sad component of our ingroup-outgroup natural tendencies.
Only through education and exposure can we overcome the ignorance, and it takes time.
And effort.

It is, which is why we can make jokes about ourselves now.

Well, some of us anyway.

The fact that there's still a LOT of defensiveness about the role of slavery and racism throughout the history of the South shows there's a long way to go.

BTW the most racist group of people I've ever met were the Japanese.

#51 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

You are able to tell me pollution via computer instead of by carrier pigeon bc of us

True. Thus we sent all our pigeons up to NY to infest the city.

You know, karma and all that.

#52 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

The fact that there's still a LOT of defensiveness about the role of slavery and racism throughout the history of the South shows there's a long way to go.

We probably wouldn't be defensive about it if people like you didn't point out the evil of stereotypes out of one side of your mouth, then perpetuate the ones about Southerners out the other side.

Just sayin'.

#53 Guest_CatofWar_*

Guest_CatofWar_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

It is, which is why we can make jokes about ourselves now.

Well, some of us anyway.

Now that you mentioned that, they are pretty racist. So are the Chinese. The poo is everywhere.

#54 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

We probably wouldn't be defensive about it if people like you didn't point out the evil of stereotypes out of one side of your mouth, then perpetuate the ones about Southerners out the other side.

Just sayin'.

I can say whatever I like about my own group. Specially when it's self-deprecating humor.

You guys need to lighten up and stop watching Ted Turner historical movies.

#55 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

I can say whatever I like about my own group. Specially when it's self-deprecating humor.

You guys need to lighten up and stop watching Ted Turner historical movies.

When have YOU ever made a self deprecating joke? And I didn't realize Texas was part of "the South". Texas considers itself its own entity. And I'm not saying this in anger. Sometimes it sounds that way on a message board. Personally, I don't care if Northerners make fun of us. They keep moving down here, don't they?

#56 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,564 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

Most people don't have a problem with the history of racism and slavery in the south, considering the whole region was forcibly deterred from both.

Most people do, on the other hand, have a problem with being called racist or unevolved today, just because he or she lives in the south; mostly by people who have never had to deal with issues of race in their lifetime because they've had the benefit of living in segregated regions like the northeast or the midwest.

#57 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

When have YOU ever made a self deprecating joke? And I didn't realize Texas was part of "the South". Texas considers itself its own entity. And I'm not saying this in anger. Sometimes it sounds that way on a message board. Personally, I don't care if Northerners make fun of us. They keep moving down here, don't they?

A) Texas does not make one renounce ones own heritage when one moves into the state
B) Even if they did they were part of the Confederacy which is the common definition of what consists of the South (and yes, Arkansas, Kentucky and West Virginia need not apply)

#58 Guest_CatofWar_*

Guest_CatofWar_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:50 PM

I was born in that state. They are some proud folks, thats for damn sure.

#59 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,306 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

Since we are tossing out historical hand grenades, where have the last few race RIOTS been the last 20 years?
LA. NYC(cops countless times involved). LA again. NYC cops again.

I think the definsiveness for some come from the overrated racial issues of the CURRENT south. Not saying there isn't any, but it's not the scale Hollywood churns out.
And Panthro is right to a point about the dif between the north and south except the north is all about heritage. Italian, Irish, Polish, Black, Puerto Rican blah blah blah.

I think the South is tired of the lectures from folks who are either living or have come from some of the most racist areas of the country.

But all in all, lighten up Francis.

#60 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

A) Texas does not make one renounce ones own heritage when one moves into the state
B) Even if they did they were part of the Confederacy which is the common definition of what consists of the South (and yes, Arkansas, Kentucky and West Virginia need not apply)

Do you have an SEC football team? Then you ain't "the South", baby. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.