Photo
- - - - -

Michigan Lottery Bill Would Block Welfare Recipients From Winning Big Prizes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#106 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

Again, to me, that's the smoke and mirrors. Worrying about where the money came from and where it goes is the morass that we get lost in on the way to the fact that this is a bill that would authorize the state to take 72 million dollars from a citizen (assuming they hit the Powerball today).

Let that sink in a bit. $72,000,000.00

This law would allow the State to claim all but $600.00 of that money. They are in effect playing the lottery by proxy.

#107 Claws

Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

gEEEEZUSssss

People down on the luck, getting welfare, food stamps, unemployment.....Hit the lottery at the fuging gas station and these assholes wanna prevent you from getting it.

WTF is that poo?

#108 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

gEEEEZUSssss

People down on the luck, getting welfare, food stamps, unemployment.....Hit the lottery at the fuging gas station and these assholes wanna prevent you from getting it.

WTF is that poo?

It is the fact that they are using someone else's tax dollars to PLAY the lottery that is the issue.

If they need tax payer money to live....they should not have money to waste on buying lottery tickets.

#109 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Again, to me, that's the smoke and mirrors. Worrying about where the money came from and where it goes is the morass that we get lost in on the way to the fact that this is a bill that would authorize the state to take 72 million dollars from a citizen (assuming they hit the Powerball today).

Let that sink in a bit. $72,000,000.00

This law would allow the State to claim all but $600.00 of that money. They are in effect playing the lottery by proxy.

I think the proposed law is more of a tactic to scare people into not playing than to really make any change.

#110 Claws

Claws

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

It is the fact that they are using someone else's tax dollars to PLAY the lottery that is the issue.

If they need tax payer money to live....they should not have money to waste on buying lottery tickets.

Meh, I see your point but I just don't subscribe to it.

I'm gonna pay the taxes regardless of whether that person gets some of it or not. You have a job, you pay taxes....period.

So if someone actually hits the lottery, instead of saying "They shouldn't get it cause of my taxes" I say "Good for them"

What's the difference to me? I still have to pay the damned taxes regardless.

#111 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

If it was up to me, all welfare recipients would receive food stamps only and live in free, albeit schiity, housing.

#112 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

[quote name='Claws']
I'm gonna pay the taxes regardless of whether that person gets some of it or not. You have a job, you pay taxes....period.QUOTE]

So, you are actually saying that you could care less if the taxes you paid are wasted? How about taking the same tax revenue...not waste it...pay down some of the debt...and try and get our country out of this deficit.

Instead of....taking the tax revenue....wasting it....borrowing more....raising taxes....spend even more.

#113 Claws

Claws

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

[quote name='MadHatter'][quote name='Claws']
I'm gonna pay the taxes regardless of whether that person gets some of it or not. You have a job, you pay taxes....period.QUOTE]

So, you are actually saying that you could care less if the taxes you paid are wasted? How about taking the same tax revenue...not waste it...pay down some of the debt...and try and get our country out of this deficit.

Instead of....taking the tax revenue....wasting it....borrowing more....raising taxes....spend even more.[/QUOTE]

I suppose yes, I'm saying I don't care what they do with....HELL NO that's not what Im saying! haha

I agree that taking the revenue and paying down the debt is the right thing to do. I don't see how that correlates to this particular subject. The govt is going to get your tax money or people with guns are sent to visit you. It's just that simple. Then, they will do with it whatever the fug they want. We don't have a say in it. We don't. We can say we do thru elections but we don't. It's bullshit. They spend it how they want.

So under the current conditions I've just stated, which is my firm belief in our how govt works, what do I give a poo if someone on welfare wins the lotto? Again, I say good for them.

#114 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Since a big crux of this conversation assumes that the welfare recipient isn't buying necessities, lets make a couple more assumptions...

What if... the Welfare guy/gal is walking into the gas station to buy some milk. Laying in the parking lot between where two cars park, is a fresh $20! Just her/his luck!

When they enter the store, they buy 3 powerball tickets with the hope they could get out of the situation they are in. One of them happens to have a $150,000 payout!

Now... this person didn't "steal" from the government. They got lucky that a 17 year old kid of a rich lawyer was careless with what he considered lose change, and left some money on the ground.

If I understand what this law is proposing... even though they happened across that $20 (which is not a reportable income increase on taxes)... the state would take their money on the premise that they were on welfare.

How is that fair?

#115 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

I think the proposed law is more of a tactic to scare people into not playing than to really make any change.

To the contrary, if this legislation were to pass then the state would actually benefit from welfare recipients far more if they did play the lottery than if they didn't. The gain in revenue from seizures would far outweigh the reduction in their drag on the system if they saved their money.

#116 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

To the contrary, if this legislation were to pass then the state would actually benefit from welfare recipients far more if they did play the lottery than if they didn't. The gain in revenue from seizures would far outweigh the reduction in their drag on the system if they saved their money.

That, or people on welfare would stop playing because it'd be pointless. Lottery revenue would go down, and a bunch of idiot lawmakers would be looking at the numbers, scratching their heads and asking themselves "Wait, why did that happen?" :confused:

At least part of the reason they're doing this is the reason politicians do a lot of things, i.e. salivating over what they think will be a source of big money. They rarely account for the notion that people might adjust their behavior, leaving them to look like dimbulbs (again).

Edited by Mr Scot, 27 October 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#117 Claws

Claws

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

Good examples guys. It's a terrible idea.