Photo
- - - - -

When Jon Fox came to Carolina he wanted to do two things.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

Run the Ball.

Play Physical Defense.

Please tell me how Trgo is a yes man when we played Soft zone and our CBs were a mile from the Receivers the past two years? Thats the Damn exact opposite to Physical Defense right there! This could be the reason why no coaches are getting signed this year..........

#2 CarolinaSock

CarolinaSock

• ALL-PRO
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:35 PM

Run the Ball.

Play Physical Defense.

Please tell me how Trgo is a yes man when we played Soft zone and our CBs were a mile from the Receivers the past two years? Thats the Damn exact opposite to Physical Defense right there! This could be the reason why no coaches are getting signed this year..........

At this point I place just as much blame on Fox as Turd. If Fox saw something he didn't like, he should have fixed it. He was a DC, he should be able to get the defense he wants played. If Turd wasn't up to it he should have canned him. But, Fox didn't can him and our defense is now middle of the pack or worse (nearly dead last 2nd half of season).

#3 Pumpkin Eater

Pumpkin Eater

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

I say the new style has something to do with an overeaction to the way offenses played the defense after the superbowl season, with tons of three step drops.

#4 Sandy Claws

Sandy Claws

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

Run the Ball.

Play Physical Defense.

Turning this around, Fox has seen what is happening in game preps, is on the headset to hear the calls, and has to be aware whether or not the D is meeting his expectations. In most people's view, the D has under performed for at least 2 years. Why keep a guy who can't get his staff to do what he wants?

#5 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,061 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

Been thinking about this. Maybe we have been blaming the wrong person. Maybe Peppers was bringing the team down. Just like Jenkins before him.

#6 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 18,335 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

Run the Ball.

Play Physical Defense.

Sounds great, when do we start?

#7 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

Sounds great, when do we start?

lol

#8 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,817 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

Fox is too conservative to take any chance. So instead of a 20% chance of giving up a big play, he'll go with the 50% chance of giving up smaller play after smaller play and end up giving up a touchdown anyway.

IMO the guy's no better than Jim Fassel as a HC, but in a different way. His conservativeness is unyieldy and limiting his potential to be the best out there.

#9 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Fox is too conservative to take any chance. So instead of a 20% chance of giving up a big play, he'll go with the 50% chance of giving up smaller play after smaller play and end up giving up a touchdown anyway.

That was kinda my thinking around mid season....two years ago.:) I'll be suprised if anything changes....I really hate this brand of football but we did go 12-4.

#10 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

We had Trgo in 03 with Manning mauling wr's at the line of scrimmage playing physical, knowing why that has changed is a good question and everyone's speculation on here is getting old.

#11 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

We had Trgo in 03 with Manning mauling wr's at the line of scrimmage playing physical, knowing why that has changed is a good question and everyone's speculation on here is getting old.

it changed because it was Del Rios scheme, Turgo changed it because he wanted to put his on stamp on it; a turd.

#12 SCpanther

SCpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

Run the Ball.

Play Physical Defense.

Even if Trgo isn't a yes man, do you really think a former defensive coordinator like Fox would allow a scheme he didn't approve of? As you said, they've been running it for a couple years now. If Fox didn't like it then he would have forced changes.

#13 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,161 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

bend but don't break does you know good when you have the strength of a wet noodle.

i fully blame fox and hurney now. any inefficiencies in the defense next year is squarely on their heads.

unless you play an aggressive defense you aren't doing what fox promised he would be doing.

i have no confidence in their ability to correct things on the defense based on what i have seen. i would love for them to prove me wrong. i would love to see us turn into a feared defense that can shut down any offense and i believe that we can be given the right direction and leadership. right now i don't believe we have that.

#14 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

it changed because it was Del Rios scheme, Turgo changed it because he wanted to put his on stamp on it; a turd.

Hmmm, strong assumption. Someone asked Buck a similar question today on the radio and he said Del Rio's scheme was all zone/cover 2 as compared to Trgo running more man and more blitzing. All of it is attitude, and I am not sure for whatever reason our d-line as whole seems hungry or mean enough to get the job done. Who knows? We definitely don't.

#15 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,231 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

i have no confidence in their ability to correct things on the defense based on what i have seen. i would love for them to prove me wrong. i would love to see us turn into a feared defense that can shut down any offense and i believe that we can be given the right direction and leadership. right now i don't believe we have that.

Unfortunately, I am with you on that, or maybe very little confidence.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com