Photo
- - - - -

Of course Tea Party people aren't racist! Part 47

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#91 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:52 PM

That's not the point. Bunche's success is ignored while so much emphasis is put on Jackie Robinson. In the grand scheme of things, what's more important, a baseball game, or international appeal that possibly saved tens of thousands of lives?
I consider Jesse Jackson in the same light. It's easy to sit back and make fun of the way he holds businesses hostage and forces them to pay his personal friends six figure salaries to ease race relations. But nobody talks about his leadership and success when negotiating hostage releases in the 80s. Why is that? Why, in general, is black America willing to celebrate such trivial matters when they have been part of much greater events?

I was responding to the "economically advantaged" part.

I'd say that in the case of Robinson/Bunche, Robinson broke boundaries in a way that poor, black Americans could more easily relate. Anyone could play baseball; all they needed was a stick, a ball and some landmarks. I guess it's easier to dream of being a pro baseball player than it is to dream of one day receiving a doctorate and a Nobel Peace Prize.

#92 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:24 AM

Hopefully Obama changes the way an entire generation of black youths think. Be nice if there was one good thing to come out of his presidency.

#93 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

I was responding to the "economically advantaged" part.

I'd say that in the case of Robinson/Bunche, Robinson broke boundaries in a way that poor, black Americans could more easily relate. Anyone could play baseball; all they needed was a stick, a ball and some landmarks. I guess it's easier to dream of being a pro baseball player than it is to dream of one day receiving a doctorate and a Nobel Peace Prize.

Your logic feeds the problem today. They see sports as a way to try and improve their life....instead of studying and an education.

Problem is that one out of a million will have success in sports....while an education would provide a sound foundation for their future.

And when that other 999,999 out of a million do not find success in sports....our tax dollars will go to support them for the rest of their lives.

#94 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

HUDDLER

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Your logic feeds the problem today. They see sports as a way to try and improve their life....instead of studying and an education.

Problem is that one out of a million will have success in sports....while an education would provide a sound foundation for their future.

And when that other 999,999 out of a million do not find success in sports....our tax dollars will go to support them for the rest of their lives.

Except for many people, playing a sport is the only way out.

Sorry, but I'm not into victim blaming. The achievement and income gaps don't exist because black youths look up to athletes. You know, white youths look up to athletes too. Things tend to work out better for them.

This is pretty relevant:

But the ugly truth is that the road to success that the degree they've earned was supposed to open up is littered with potholes that their education alone cannot overcome. This year, blacks who have earned a bachelor's degree and higher have a higher unemployment rate than whites who have only obtained a two-year college degree. And blacks with college degrees earn substantially less than white college graduates.

In 2008, the mean annual income of blacks with a four-year degree was more than $13,000 less than that of whites with the same level of education. And blacks who had a master's earned about $1,500 a year less than whites with a bachelor's degree.

http://www.usatoday....umn11_ST1_N.htm

http://www.census.gov

It's almost as if societal structure leads to a discriminatory outcome. Nah, that can't be right. They just don't want it enough.

#95 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Is it true you don't even live here?

#96 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

HUDDLER

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hopefully Obama changes the way an entire generation of black youths think. Be nice if there was one good thing to come out of his presidency.

Possibly two...10th Amendment reinforcement/precedent. ;)

Waiting to see on that one.