Photo
- - - - -

Let's Talk Passing Defense

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#31 vanilla B

vanilla B

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

I love how Marshall blames everyone of his blown coverages on the S. Last year it was Godfrey and now this year its Martin.

I've been extremely impressed with Martin this year. I rarely see him get beat and usually the only time you'll hear an announcer call his name is when he comes in to clean up a tackle someone else missed. Only real negative about him this year is getting trucked by Cedric Benson.

#32 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

I've been extremely impressed with Martin this year. I rarely see him get beat and usually the only time you'll hear an announcer call his name is when he comes in to clean up a tackle someone else missed. Only real negative about him this year is getting trucked by Cedric Benson.

Yea dude is a solid player. Marhshall might of had reason to with Godfrey but Martin seems to always be in position. Like that goal line play where he came out of a zone for run support and Marshall was supposed to keep with his man and didn't. You really cant expect over the top help on the freaking goal line...

#33 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

we are allowing an average of 128 yards a game on the ground..

#34 Baschski

Baschski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hilarious how everyone in this thread can rave about how good our pass defense is, and then say that Marshall and Godfrey suck.

#35 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Most of the times the blown coverages are the fault of the safeties and not the corners. People beat the cover 2 by flooding zones and throwing the ball in the areas between where the corner releases and the safety comes over to cover. If the safety is late or out of position the corner has to try and recover and looks like it is his fault when it is actually on the safety.

The reason cover 2s are often highly rated is you are looking at total yards surrendered and the cover 2 keeps everything short and underneath which limits deep balls and big total yards numbers. But if you look at the number of passes defended or the number of catches we allow receiver to make, we might be much lower than top 10.

#36 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

I still have no confidence in Marshall or Gamblez, more-so tackling then anything else. Everyone else in the 2nd-ary I'm fine with...for now.

#37 Baschski

Baschski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

I still have no confidence in Marshall or Gamblez, more-so tackling then anything else. Everyone else in the 2nd-ary I'm fine with...for now.

Really? Gamble isn't great at tackling, but his primary job is to cover, and he does that better than most in the NFL. It's not often that you see his guy beat him. In fact the guys Gamble covers are rarely targeted at all. Marshall is a little more hit-or-miss but he's still solid.

#38 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

HUDDLER

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:02 AM

Guess I have high standards when it comes to open-field tackling.

#39 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:08 AM

Don't resign Marshall, he's going to want more than he's worth. Draft P. Peterson.

#40 Carolinator

Carolinator

Banned

• PipPipPipPip
Banned

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:30 AM

Long time reader and first time poster, I didnt see this anywhere but we currently have a top 10 defense in total yards allowed and ranked 4th in passing yards allowed. Granted we are still giving up over 21 points a game but if our offense can start staying on the field for more than 2 minutes a series like we saw against San Francisco, I believe our ranking could improve in that area as well. Just thought I'd point out the hard work of the secondary this season and see what you all thought.

I love our Defense.