• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

Was it MLK? Muhammad Ali? BHO? Steve Smith? State your choice and post your argument here.

#2 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

Fredrick Douglas

#3 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

Was it MLK? Muhammad Ali? BHO? Steve Smith? State your choice and post your argument here.

George Washington Carver. He was an African American version of Thomas Edison. A brilliant man who contributed a great deal to Southern agriculture and society.

#4 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 18,314 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

To avoid some obvious names I will go with Garrett Augustus Morgan. The inventor of the "modern" traffic light.
/

#5 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,892 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

Big Daddy Kane.

#6 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

too broad of a question. too many great things by too many great people. could you pick the greatest white person? that's kind of a silly question isn't it?

neil degrasse tyson and cornell west are on my list of favorite living people in general.

#7 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

too broad of a question. too many great things by too many great people. could you pick the greatest white person? that's kind of a silly question isn't it?

neil degrasse tyson and cornell west are on my list of favorite living people in general.

I could pick the greatest white American. Ronald Wilson Reagan, baby.

I gotta go with my homeboy, Cassius Clay. So sad that Parkinson's has taken away his ability to speak. He really is a great guy, and not just a great athlete. I don't think he had anything for Tyson, though. Ali in his prime and Tyson in his prime? TKO in three.

#8 Coach C

Coach C

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

George Washington Carver. He was an African American version of Thomas Edison. A brilliant man who contributed a great deal to Southern agriculture and society.

I agree with this assessment.

#9 jabbo420

jabbo420

on the ragged edge

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

bill clinton

#10 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

I dont think a sports figure should be in the running for greatest African American, there are so many others that have done a lot for the advancement of their people. MLK has to be up near the top for me.

#11 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

IMO, the only sports figure who should be considered is Jackie Robinson. My vote would go to either Marcus Garvey or MLK. The greatest black man in history is the real King Taharqa. :cool:

#12 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 22,297 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

Booker T or Michael Winslow

#13 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 15,967 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

IMO, the only sports figure who should be considered is Jackie Robinson. My vote would go to either Marcus Garvey or MLK. The greatest black man in history is the real King Taharqa. :cool:

I would add Jesse Owens to the list of sports figures considered.

#14 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

I dont think a sports figure should be in the running for greatest African American, there are so many others that have done a lot for the advancement of their people. MLK has to be up near the top for me.

Ali transcended sports.

#15 StepandFetch

StepandFetch

............chicken wire?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

its funny how we still use racial labels when talking about many of the men and women who worked their whole lives to promote a world where people would be described according to character, not with labels of color or ethnic origin.... African American/ black/ *****/ gay... over American.. or human being...

labeling is simply the naming of groups of people. Seeing a population as a variety of groups is collectivism- it holds the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups- rather than individuals- and collectivism encourages the judgement of large numbers of people, and this often leads to the ugly form of collectivism- racism. When humans are seen in groups and not as individuals, they can not be judged in the context of character or any ethic or virtue. America was founded as a republic of individuals. Men like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton encourage the group mentality... and they aren't alone, but they are often the most vocal. These advocates of so- called "diversity" actually perpetuate ( and profit) from racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist.

I'm just saying, if you are going to use the labeling of different people, then you should
know that you yourself are perpetuating the problems that men like MLK and Frederick Douglass devoted their lives to stop.

by the way, Obama, himself, stated that "We are no longer a collection of individuals."
:)

Edited by StepandFetch, 20 January 2009 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.