Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest African American in history

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

IMO, the only sports figure who should be considered is Jackie Robinson. My vote would go to either Marcus Garvey or MLK. The greatest black man in history is the real King Taharqa. :cool:

I would add Jesse Owens to the list of sports figures considered.

Posted · Report post

I dont think a sports figure should be in the running for greatest African American, there are so many others that have done a lot for the advancement of their people. MLK has to be up near the top for me.

Ali transcended sports.

Posted · Report post

its funny how we still use racial labels when talking about many of the men and women who worked their whole lives to promote a world where people would be described according to character, not with labels of color or ethnic origin.... African American/ black/ *****/ gay... over American.. or human being...

labeling is simply the naming of groups of people. Seeing a population as a variety of groups is collectivism- it holds the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups- rather than individuals- and collectivism encourages the judgement of large numbers of people, and this often leads to the ugly form of collectivism- racism. When humans are seen in groups and not as individuals, they can not be judged in the context of character or any ethic or virtue. America was founded as a republic of individuals. Men like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton encourage the group mentality... and they aren't alone, but they are often the most vocal. These advocates of so- called "diversity" actually perpetuate ( and profit) from racism. Their obsession with racial group identity is inherently racist.

I'm just saying, if you are going to use the labeling of different people, then you should

know that you yourself are perpetuating the problems that men like MLK and Frederick Douglass devoted their lives to stop.

by the way, Obama, himself, stated that "We are no longer a collection of individuals."

:)

Posted · Report post

its funny how we still use racial labels when talking about many of the men and women who worked their whole lives to promote a world where people would be described according to character, not with labels of color or ethnic origin.... African American/ black/ *****... over American.. or human...

labels are a tool of division.

In and of themselves, labels are not a tool of division. Its the intentions behind them that can be seen as divisive.

For many years, Blacks were treated as second class citizens, so I don't see anything wrong with granting special recognition to those who overcame odds that were stacked against them.

Take the man I voted for, George Washington Carver. His accomplishments would have great for a white person with all the advantages that whites had in Southern society had at that time. Him being black, and having to endure segregation and some of the other ills that afflicted our society at the time makes his accomplishments extradordinary.

Posted · Report post

In and of themselves, labels are not a tool of division. Its the intentions behind them that can be seen as divisive.

For many years, Blacks were treated as second class citizens, so I don't see anything wrong with granting special recognition to those who overcame odds that were stacked against them.

Take the man I voted for, George Washington Carver. His accomplishments would have great for a white person with all the advantages that whites had in Southern society had at that time. Him being black, and having to endure segregation and some of the other ills that afflicted our society at the time makes his accomplishments extradordinary.

Yeah, but....I HATE peanut butter...

Posted · Report post

I'll agree with that... there is a very slippery slope, though..

Posted · Report post

I'd say Enoch the Ethiopian, or Christopher Wallace... It's a neck and neck race though....

Oh, and I'm back, motherfugers...

Posted · Report post

I'd say Enoch the Ethiopian, or Christopher Wallace... It's a neck and neck race though....

Oh, and I'm back, motherf*ckers...

Welcome back.

How about smoothest African American?

340x.jpg

Posted · Report post

One more:

geoff.Arthur%20Ashe%20and%20trophy.jpg

Posted · Report post

Tyrone Bigums

Posted · Report post

Can I nominate myself?

Posted · Report post

I could pick the greatest white American. Ronald Wilson Reagan, baby.

I gotta go with my homeboy, Cassius Clay. So sad that Parkinson's has taken away his ability to speak. He really is a great guy, and not just a great athlete. I don't think he had anything for Tyson, though. Ali in his prime and Tyson in his prime? TKO in three.

I assume you mean Ali would have crushed a hack like Tyson. He would have toyed with Mike, snapping his head back with a jab as he tried to come in.