Photo
- - - - -

Prediction:The 2009 Carolina Panthers will have a losing record and Fox will be fired

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

Haven't seen anyone state the obvious yet, so here goes:

- We have the second hardest schedule in the league next year. No more playing the AFC and NFC West like we've been able to do the past two seasons to make our teams look better than they are with their final win total for the season. Brutal games all over the place. At New England with Tom Brady, at the Giants, at the Cowboys, at the NFC Champs, home games against the Eagles/Vikings/Dolphins (playoff teams all), a game against the Skins (a team we historically struggle playing against), AND our division games. We were 12-5 this season, but only 4-5 against teams that ended with winning records. And that was with the supposed "greatest Panther team of all-time".

- Our quarterback is only going to get worse as the years go by. He's 34. You might not realize it, but that's going to make him younger than only the starting QBs for the Jets, Bucs, Titans, and Cards. And there's a chance that Favre, Garcia, and Collins will all be retiring this offseason. Think about that. Jake Delhomme could be the second oldest starting QB in the NFL next season. He had 16 touchdowns to 17 interceptions on the season. That isn't exactly great. He was at his worst late in the season too. He threw eight picks in the final five games of the season. Oh and did I mention his six fumbles?

His defenders will point out his 4th quarter comebacks, but I think it's obvious that most of those comebacks wouldn't have happened without Smith on the team. He's an aging quarterback that doesn't have much left.

- I think we're having more turnover amongst the assistant coaches than we've ever had. New defensive line coach, new linebackers coach, new QB coach...and we might not be done yet. Not good for continuity.

- We're losing our franchise defensive player. I'm not a big Peppers fan, but replacing 14 sacks is going to be hard to do, especially when your other ends are Brayton and Johnson.

- To top it all off, we don't even have a first-round pick right now. Hopefully that will change with a Peppers trade, but who knows if Hurney will even be able to trade him. Hurney was the genius that got us into the mess of having half of our Pro Bowlers having their contracts expire in the same offseason, so who knows what this mental giant will do with the Peppers situation.
---------------------------------------
This rosy prediction has been brought to you by SMF! :D

#2 Randyfloyd

Randyfloyd

Resurrected

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

I would say that history alone will prove your theory. NFC South teams don't make back-to-back playoff runs do they?

And with our offense that's sad if it turns out to be the case.

#3 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:27 PM

i think that is a completely reasonable prediction

#4 Section 505

Section 505

LadyCats Liason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:28 PM

A losing record may be a bit harsh, so I predict 8-8. This is based on the FACT that the Panthes have NEVER had back-to-back winning seasons in their history. Look it up.

#5 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,998 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:29 PM

Never underestimate what a solid run game can do.

#6 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

I respect your honest opinion

It will be a extremely tough 2009

#7 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

I didn't even mention the fact that Gross might not be back. If and when Hangartner leaves, he'll be a bigger loss than people realize too.

#8 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

Good grief...this board is full of drama queens. The Panthers just went 12-4 and have one of the best running games in the league.

Quit acting like a bunch of damn babies already.

#9 TheJza

TheJza

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

I'll reserve judgment until AFTER the free agency period, and the draft. The latter, by the way, has been quite strong the last few years.

#10 Cuttinedge

Cuttinedge

• ALL-PRO
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

Very true ..This is what I predict will happen ALOT we'll have a 10 or 12 play drive that take 5 or 6 mins off the clock then it will stall and Kasay will kick a 25 yard FG then with Trgo's:dita: great defensive play calling in a 1:27 we'll be down 7-3:mad: but hopefully he's been holding back the last couple years, gonna show what he can really do this time:D

Fox...." No $hit we're really all in this time"

#11 ckad79

ckad79

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

A solid run game changes things... I agree BUT nobody knows if DeAngelio & Stewart will come out dominating next year like they did during the second half of this season.

I agree with others --- let's see what comes of the Peppers issue, free agency, the draft, etc, before we start suggestion what will happen next year.

I know that looking at our past, you can't help but things will fall apart. We don't have a great history of repreating sucess but at the same time, I think this organization has to be more demanding. If Fox was told to make the playoffs this year or loose this job, then the standards have to be raised next season. We can't keep expecting so little of this team --- year in and year out.

#12 goodlay

goodlay

Moore than a backup

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

A losing record may be a bit harsh, so I predict 8-8. This is based on the FACT that the Panthes have NEVER had back-to-back winning seasons in their history. Look it up.

So? History also said that every time we were in the playoffs we at least made it to the conference title game. How'd that work out this year?

#13 StepandFetch

StepandFetch

............chicken wire?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

great... Firefox logos again....

#14 panthers1789

panthers1789

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

The only way we have a losing record is if D-Will or Smitty get injured.
As much as people like to bash Delhomme he always finds a way to win games.

#15 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

QFT

Quit acting like a bunch of damn pussies

Fixed. You need to call it like it is.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com