• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,094 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:23 PM

Hmm. I tried to find where Obama promised that no lobbyists would serve in the Administration but with no luck. I do remember that he promised to prohibit people from leaving the Administration and then lobbying for a certain amount of time.

Keep making up stuff and I am sure that some of it will stick.

#62 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hmm. I tried to find where Obama promised that no lobbyists would serve in the Administration but with no luck. I do remember that he promised to prohibit people from leaving the Administration and then lobbying for a certain amount of time.

Keep making up stuff and I am sure that some of it will stick.

Hummm ... maybe you haven't tried too hard:

From back in November:

WASHINGTON -- At an afternoon press briefing in the Transition Team offices for President-elect Barack Obama, transition team co-chairman John Podesta said this would be "the most open and transparent transition in history" and released a set of rules that lobbyists working on the team will be required to abide by.

The list of rules include the following: Lobbyists working with the team -- a list of whom will be released -- are prohibited from doing any lobbying during the transition; someone who becomes a lobbyist after working on the transition is prohibited from lobbying the Administration for one year on matters for which they worked; and anyone who has lobbied in the last year is prohibited from working in the policy areas for which they lobbied. Transition team members will be subject to a "gift ban," and Podesta also indicated they would need to sign an ethics code.

"These are the strictest ethics rules ever applied," said Podesta, who served as Bill Clinton's chief of staff for the last two years of his administration. Asked why they would keep lobbyists from working on policy areas for which they're deeply knowledgeable, Podesta said: "I've heard the complaint that we're leaving all these extra people on the side, that we're leaving all the people that know everything out in the cold. So be it. That's a commitment that is one the American people expect and one the President-elect made

#63 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,094 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

I guess that is true then. Unfortunately, these rules were for the transition team. But for the sake of argument lets assume the rules are still in place.

Eric Holder, attorney general nominee, was registered to lobby until 2004 on behalf of clients including Global Crossing, a bankrupt telecommunications firm.

- time limit expired

Tom Vilsack, secretary of agriculture nominee, was registered to lobby as recently as last year on behalf of the National Education Association.

- agriculture and the NEA, meets the guidelines

William Lynn, deputy defense secretary nominee, was registered to lobby as recently as last year for defense contractor Raytheon, where he was a top executive.

- could be a problem

William Corr, deputy health and human services secretary nominee, was registered to lobby until last year for the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, a non-profit that pushes to limit tobacco use.

- hmm, not really a business or anything like that, how can this be bad?

David Hayes, deputy interior secretary nominee, was registered to lobby until 2006 for clients, including the regional utility San Diego Gas & Electric.

- time limit expired

Mark Patterson, chief of staff to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, was registered to lobby as recently as last year for financial giant Goldman Sachs.

- could be a problem

Ron Klain, chief of staff to Vice President Joe Biden, was registered to lobby until 2005 for clients, including the Coalition for Asbestos Resolution, U.S. Airways, Airborne Express and drug-maker ImClone.

- time limit expired

Mona Sutphen, deputy White House chief of staff, was registered to lobby for clients, including Angliss International in 2003.

- time limit expired

Melody Barnes, domestic policy council director, lobbied in 2003 and 2004 for liberal advocacy groups, including the American Civil Liberties Union, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, the American Constitution Society and the Center for Reproductive Rights.

- time limit expired

Cecilia Munoz, White House director of intergovernmental affairs, was a lobbyist as recently as last year for the National Council of La Raza, a Hispanic advocacy group.

- again, unsure if this is really a big deal, a non profit and all

Patrick Gaspard, White House political affairs director, was a lobbyist for the Service Employees International Union.

- no date given, but does not seem to be the same areas of influence

Michael Strautmanis, chief of staff to the president’s assistant for intergovernmental relations, lobbied for the American Association of Justice from 2001 until 2005.

- time limit expired

I am not happy with the two guys who actually cleared the list here. I know that they have been made to sign other ethics contracts but it does not make it right. Count me in on opposing them.

#64 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Guess it WAS just campaign rhetoric, huh?

Is anyone really surprised? Remember the handshake deal he had with McCain regarding the election, which he kept right up to the point where he realized he could bring in 10 times the money McCain could.

Remember how he stood behind Reverend Wright, right up until Reverend Wright made a fresh racist comment? Then he never really knew the man, and threw him under the bus.

Remember how he was against the Surge? Now he says Iraq is strong enough and safe enough for us to pull out. Why is that, BO?

Edited by Sigmund the Sea Monster, 02 February 2009 - 02:37 PM.

#65 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,094 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

Number One I don't blame him for, McCain would have done it in a heartbeat, #2 you are skewing the facts quite a bit, and #3 he did say that the surge thing worked better than he thought it would - but to those of us who are against the Iraq war anyways, the idea was that even without this "surge" beginning to take away troops would have required Iraq to pony up and stop sucking at our teat. You can consider this "stong and safe enough" talk as a bipartisan appeal for common ground. See, he's trying!

#66 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Number One I don't blame him for, McCain would have done it in a heartbeat, #2 you are skewing the facts quite a bit, and #3 he did say that the surge thing worked better than he thought it would - but to those of us who are against the Iraq war anyways, the idea was that even without this "surge" beginning to take away troops would have required Iraq to pony up and stop sucking at our teat. You can consider this "stong and safe enough" talk as a bipartisan appeal for common ground. See, he's trying!

Iraq is strong and safe enough to pull out of because the Surge, the Surge that Obama opposed and to this day won't acknowledge as being successful, worked. To this very day he will not admit he was wrrrrr....he was wrrrrrrr.....he was wrrrrrrrrrrr

#67 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,094 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26550764/

His points are still valid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com