Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What can cause my laptop to do this

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Wasn't it - Acer told me to take it to Best Buy for service and Best Buy told me that it was most likely a loose connection to the mother board, mother board going bad, or a graphics problem but that yes indeed it is covered by warranty. They also told me that this is not common for Acers, but when I mentioned to the guy that I could still purchase an extended warranty for my computer for as little as $99 and I thought I might do that as extra assurance, he agreed it might be a good thing. Now for the sad part - my computer has to be sent off for service and it could be gone for 4 weeks. We've got a desktop, but who wants to use that. I might just die. I'm on my husband's laptop now.

Posted

flickering and splotches sounds like it may possibly be a graphical problem, either with the driver or the hardware. What are the specs of your computer? brand? (assuming Acer) I can probably troubleshoot it since I had to go through something similiar with my Dell laptop late last year. (ended up having to change the graphics card, but some laptops use on-board graphics thus why I asked for the pc specs.) a link to your laptops specs would be helpful.

...my first post after re-registering is about a PC, this is like being at work :/

-DP

welcome back deadpool

Posted

I got my e-mail response back from them - they told me to try re-installing my video card driver. When I restarted my computer after that, I had no flickering or blotches. I think it's still too soon to tell though, but it would be wonderful if that was it. I've even tried doing some of the things that would trigger it before - like moving the screen, and it's been ok.

If the problem returns, could be a loose connection where the LCD plugs into the motherboard. It is a very small connection, and if it is dirty or loose, it will give you intermittent video issues.

Posted

a "loose" connection would cause the monitor to periodically go out, the blotches and such sounds more like a problem with the integrated graphics, which will probably mean the motherboard will be changed to remedy the problem. Word to the wise, changing the motherboard changes your systems configuration, and when you get it back from Best Buy, there is a possibility that your system will blue screen (this means its erroring because something is wrong with the hardware) if it does this, its just a matter of re-installing Windows (or more appropriately, doing a repair on the existing install) A gentleman I work with had to get a new mobo, and when he got it back he had this problem. Best Buy was going to try and charge him $120 to fix the problem, and I advised him to point out that there wouldnt have been a problem if the tech installing the mobo would have used his brain and repaired windows to configure to his newer hardware. needless to say, he didnt have to pay the fee. :)

-DP

Posted

Thanks for the info. We did do a complete backup on the entire computer before we took it in and figured we'd have to restore a few things. I still haven't heard from wherever they were shipping it to tell me officially what was wrong. I'm guessing it hasn't been touched yet. I actually thought it was the connection between the screen and the keyboard - might have been loose. That happened to an old IBM my husband had from work. It was easily fixed.

Posted

Well, now mine won't connect to the internet. Anyone have an idea what's wrong with it now? I have two kids, and now one computer. My son is getting a school laptop tomorrow, but he can't do "fun" stuff on it, so I still want mine.

Posted

How do you connect? do you use broadband and a router? wireless router? as much details as you can will be helpful.

-DP

Posted

Roadrunner and a router.

Posted

Alrighty, do you connect wirelessly or is the pc wired to the router? sometimes my network gets wonky and I have to make my wireless pc's on the network find the network again to reconnect. if its connected wired, I'd suggest unplugging both the modem and the router for 20 seconds, then plug em back in wait a few and see if it'll connect. you can also do this with a wireless router and such too, it resets the MAC address that for some reason once in awhile gets booshy.

-DP

Posted

It's a wireless. I'll try that tomorrow afternoon.

Next question. What is a flash drive and why do I need to buy one for the school lap top?

Posted

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0504010&type=category

Flash drives are also called Thumb Drives, they're basically mini-hard drives used for transporting Data from one pc to another easily. they're not all that expensive, for a school laptop I wouldn't get anything over 1 gig, unless your son is gonna be doing video editing, which unless things have changed a crap ton in 11 years, I highly doubt.

-DP

Posted

Thanks!!

He already thinks I'm computer stupid, so I didn't want to ask him what it was.