Photo
- - - - -

What can cause my laptop to do this

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#16 Optimus Deadpool

Optimus Deadpool

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

a "loose" connection would cause the monitor to periodically go out, the blotches and such sounds more like a problem with the integrated graphics, which will probably mean the motherboard will be changed to remedy the problem. Word to the wise, changing the motherboard changes your systems configuration, and when you get it back from Best Buy, there is a possibility that your system will blue screen (this means its erroring because something is wrong with the hardware) if it does this, its just a matter of re-installing Windows (or more appropriately, doing a repair on the existing install) A gentleman I work with had to get a new mobo, and when he got it back he had this problem. Best Buy was going to try and charge him $120 to fix the problem, and I advised him to point out that there wouldnt have been a problem if the tech installing the mobo would have used his brain and repaired windows to configure to his newer hardware. needless to say, he didnt have to pay the fee. :)

-DP

#17 Go To Girl

Go To Girl

Huddle Mom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info. We did do a complete backup on the entire computer before we took it in and figured we'd have to restore a few things. I still haven't heard from wherever they were shipping it to tell me officially what was wrong. I'm guessing it hasn't been touched yet. I actually thought it was the connection between the screen and the keyboard - might have been loose. That happened to an old IBM my husband had from work. It was easily fixed.

#18 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Well, now mine won't connect to the internet. Anyone have an idea what's wrong with it now? I have two kids, and now one computer. My son is getting a school laptop tomorrow, but he can't do "fun" stuff on it, so I still want mine.

#19 Optimus Deadpool

Optimus Deadpool

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

How do you connect? do you use broadband and a router? wireless router? as much details as you can will be helpful.

-DP

#20 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:28 PM

Roadrunner and a router.

#21 Optimus Deadpool

Optimus Deadpool

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:36 PM

Alrighty, do you connect wirelessly or is the pc wired to the router? sometimes my network gets wonky and I have to make my wireless pc's on the network find the network again to reconnect. if its connected wired, I'd suggest unplugging both the modem and the router for 20 seconds, then plug em back in wait a few and see if it'll connect. you can also do this with a wireless router and such too, it resets the MAC address that for some reason once in awhile gets booshy.

-DP

#22 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

It's a wireless. I'll try that tomorrow afternoon.

Next question. What is a flash drive and why do I need to buy one for the school lap top?

#23 Optimus Deadpool

Optimus Deadpool

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:45 PM

http://www.bestbuy.c...0&type=category

Flash drives are also called Thumb Drives, they're basically mini-hard drives used for transporting Data from one pc to another easily. they're not all that expensive, for a school laptop I wouldn't get anything over 1 gig, unless your son is gonna be doing video editing, which unless things have changed a crap ton in 11 years, I highly doubt.

-DP

#24 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:47 PM

Thanks!!

He already thinks I'm computer stupid, so I didn't want to ask him what it was.

#25 Optimus Deadpool

Optimus Deadpool

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

I aim to please. Now I just wish I could use this knowledge in a field more suitable instead of selling crap at Furniture Fair for 7 bucks an hour :/

-DP

#26 phidelt649

phidelt649

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

http://www.bestbuy.c...0&type=category

Flash drives are also called Thumb Drives, they're basically mini-hard drives used for transporting Data from one pc to another easily. they're not all that expensive, for a school laptop I wouldn't get anything over 1 gig, unless your son is gonna be doing video editing, which unless things have changed a crap ton in 11 years, I highly doubt.

-DP

Gah...don't buy one from Best Buy. They are ridiculously expensive. The top result on that link was a 2GB for $15.

Here is a 4GB for $8.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227331

Or a 16GB for $18.99 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227333

#27 Optimus Deadpool

Optimus Deadpool

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

...the link was showing an example of a Flash Drive, not a suggestion to buy said drive from there. As stated, I'd find a nice cheap 1 gb flash drive from the local Wal-mart and such. Newegg is a good suggestion however, but depending on Mrs. Bunny will need said device is the question. But yeah, I wouldn't suggest buying it from BB, just wanted to show what they were, and it was late so my brain was thinking "quick link example" not "cheap prices"

-DP

#28 Go To Girl

Go To Girl

Huddle Mom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:36 AM

The laptop has returned home. The problem - the cable that connects from the screen to the keyboard had to be replaced - exactly what many fo you said it was. Yay.

#29 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:07 PM

Gah...don't buy one from Best Buy. They are ridiculously expensive. The top result on that link was a 2GB for $15.

Here is a 4GB for $8.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227331

Or a 16GB for $18.99 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227333

Skip all that nonsense and go to Big Lots to see what they have especially if you need it quick. I've also been buying all the cables for work from there. I see no sense in spending $20+ for a printer cable. Or more than $8 for an ethernet cable no matter how long.

lol Saw a Miley Cirus (sp) flash drive on clearance at Target once. Just didn't match my office decor (late modular cubby.) :P

#30 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

those "cables" are usually very thin ribbon connectors (makes sense) that seat into their connectors by flimsy pressure locks

Posted Image

Glad they got it sorted out for you and it was nothing major!

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com