Photo
- - - - -

SDD/ultamobile laptops

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,712 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Tell me all about them. The good, the bad, the ugly. I need a new laptop to run linux/ubuntu for work software. Nothing fancy to play games with/not a desktop replacement. Guy I know has an Asus EEE and it looks pretty cool.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, I'll kill you and ban you and then punch your pet.

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,475 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

I want an EEE, for a similar reason as you; to have a linux computer that's mobile.

I don't know a whole lot about them, though. I know they have bad resolution on the monitors and their hard drive space isn't good because it basically has a flash drive for an hdd.

But it does make them quiet and cool. Fast for file operations.

I wouldn't expect much from it if your work software needs much in the way of resources.

But for web and word processing it would be great.

Edit: I think some of them might come with traditional hard drives. Not sure, though.

Edited by Jase, 21 January 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#3 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,712 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

3D graphical protein folding/mapping software a bit too strenuous...I thought the same thing, but it's what he uses for that. I'll keep on keepin' on.

#4 phidelt649

phidelt649

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:46 AM

I wouldn't buy anything with SSD yet. The technology is unproven and was rushed into market well ahead of its schedule. For instance, attempting to defrag a SSD can permanently ruin it. For the price of most EEE pcs, they aren't worth it.

However, if you find yourself just chomping at the bit to get one, try this EEE:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220443

It is under $400, has 1GB of ram and 160GB HD. It also comes with XP and a ridiculously-long 7 hour battery.

#5 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,712 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:50 AM

That's the exact one I was looking at. Thanks.

#6 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

Bringin dat Gamecock swag

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

I've got a Dell Inspiron 910 (Mini 9) and I love it.

I can't speak personally on the SSD, but mine so far has been quick and flawless.

Head over to www.mydellmini.com and check out some of the threads. I read up a lot there before I bought mine.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com