23 replies to this topic

#1 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

The answer to that question depends in part on whom you ask and on which religion is being considered. On Tuesday, for instance, voters in Oklahoma passed State Question 755, aka the "Shariah law amendment," which changed the state constitution so that Oklahoma courts are now forbidden from "considering or using" both international law and Shariah law when making their decisions.

Constitutional scholars say that the way the law singles out a particular religion violates the establishment clause of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, but also point out that Shariah law has never been used in Oklahoma court decisions anyway.

"This measure is not about these hot-button issues," CAIR's press release stated. "No one has or will ever propose anything to do with criminal punishments often associated with Shariah. If the sponsors of this measure wished to ban these practices, they could have offered specific language. They did not. Instead, they exploited the growing anti-Islam sentiment in American society to demonize Islam and marginalize Oklahoma's Muslim community."

http://www.aolnews.c...ndment/19702172

I can't believe politicians ever thought this was a good idea.

Oh, wait, yeah I can. It was a fantastic way to get the rednecks to the polls, and I doubt many of them were voting Democrat.

#2 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,133 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

Hey buddy someone's gotta stand up to non-existent threats.

#3 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 24,951 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:22 AM

Yes sharia law is ridiculous but to have voters vote on this is more ridiculous.

#4 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,322 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:31 AM

I'm sure that the pressure to use international law is a really important issue in Oklahoma.

Because international law is so much more lenient on meth labs and crack trailers.

#5 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:52 AM

What about interplanetary law?

Where ya goin', cwg?

#6 James T. Kirk

James T. Kirk

Who Shat?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:55 AM

What about interplanetary law?

Where ya goin', cwg?

I got some interplanetary law for you. Torpedo all their asses back to the stone age.

#7 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,133 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

What a ridiculous waste of taxpayer dollars it was even having such a nonsensical and utterly irrelevant measure on the ballot in the first place. I'm sure we'll be hearing the GOP and Tea Party issuing statements over what an outrage this is any day now.

#8 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,322 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:23 AM

It's funny how the GOP is all about telling us how we have more important issues to look at in these "dire times" than, say, health care, then trot out this crap.

#9 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:46 AM

Personally, I like Sharia law, at least when it comes to divorce. :)

#10 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

Agreed. It's insane. I was in the booth voting and reading thru the bullshit laws they try to pass and see this one. I voted no just because of it's sheer stupidity and i don't want the blood on my hands of some asshole standing up grandstanding about his "record" of keeping Sharia Law out of our state.

An utter fuging joke of a state i live in. Not to mention, there was another one on the ballot that would've raised money per student up to the average of our bordering states. Needless to say our voters DID NOT pass it!!

As it stands, 20k per year per prisoner....7k per year per public ed student.

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,026 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

Seriously, IMO this thing will get overturned very fast. They are singling out a religion, and they are usurping federal power irt treaties and international law.

#12 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:56 AM

The same state that is trying like hell to pass some bullshit abortion deal about FORCING the mother to see a sonogram, hear the heartbeat etc....

It's a fuging LEGAL surgery!! fugers!

#13 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,133 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh the other day praising the passage of this State Question as a sign o' the times regarding the permanent paradigm shift to the hard right we just got our asses rocked off with and what not. As a big gay liberal homo I had poo running down my leg over it.

Yes ultra conservative Oklahoma voting in something that basically exists solely as a big fat middle finger to OK Muslims (estimated population per 2000 survey: 6145) is an indication of a greater trend.

Edited by london67, 05 November 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#14 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Sith Bewbie Padawan....

• HUDDLER
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:33 PM

See, first we allow them (muslims) to become mods and now this crap......:D
Just playin' Salty!

#15 CLTPanther

CLTPanther

This Space for Rent

• HUDDLER
  • 4,946 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

The same state that is trying like hell to pass some bullpoo abortion deal about FORCING the mother to see a sonogram, hear the heartbeat etc....

It's a fuging LEGAL surgery!! fugers!

So you support killing babies?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com