Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama signs executive order to close Gitmo

92 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Just like, according to the article, Bush.

And yes, since I will probably not be in charge of making this policy happen, I will not know until I read it, just like everyone else.

Posted · Report post

But you are sure that not all will be released by a long shot. where is that info coming from?

Posted · Report post

Common sense?

Posted · Report post

That's true, there is no "good" solution. However, keeping people locked up without any charges for the rest of their lives, based on the technicality that Cuba is not "US soil", is as or more messed up than the other options.

There was a good solution that Bush should have used from the beginning. Treat them as Prisoners of War. That way, we could hold them as long as we want to. At very least, the Taliban should have been treated as POW's, since they were the army of Afghanistan.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, you are not supposed to torture POWs. I believe that we got into a bit of a snit when the VC did it to our guys, so instead of following our own rules, lets abandon the Geneva Convention, and come up with sneaky ways to do the same thing to our enemies!

Posted · Report post

I remember when all the Viet Nam vets had nightmares about having their underwear put on their heads. It was a horrible time.

Posted · Report post

Government issue underwear can be quite rough textured.

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately, you are not supposed to torture POWs. I believe that we got into a bit of a snit when the VC did it to our guys, so instead of following our own rules, lets abandon the Geneva Convention, and come up with sneaky ways to do the same thing to our enemies!

Like I said, at very least the Taliban should have been called POW's and treated as such. Then we could probably have a little more leeway in how we treat Al Qaeda members. We could probably treat them as we did German agents caught in the US during WWII.

Or we could have waited a few months and then declared them POW's. The shelf value of Intel is only a few months anyway, so its unlikely that we would have learned anything of value after that time anyway.

Bush handled things completely wrong from the beginning imo.

Posted · Report post

Sounds reasonable to me.

Posted · Report post

Huge step in America restoring its moral high ground in the world.

Awesome day

yea. not very happy with this. the intelligence we gained from guantanamo bay was a lot of the reason why we never got hit again. obama seems to have no problem sacrificing this country's safety

Posted · Report post

sometimes i seriously cannot understand how liberals can be so completely ignorant. all common sense is out the window with these people.