44 replies to this topic

#1 StompLord

StompLord

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:17 PM

Hey guys,

I'm a Cincinnati Bengals fan, and I have been since 1985, when I was eight years old. The last time the Bengals won a playoff game was 1990. That was 20 years ago. Since then, they have been to the playoffs twice. Both times were huge embarrassing failures.

I've talked about jumping ship on the Bengals, but I've never seriously considered it. Until now. I don't live in Cincinnati. I haven't in 15 years. I don't have family in that city, I have no real connection to that city, and frankly, I kind of hate that city. At this point, the only thing keeping me a Bengals fan is a few fond (but fading) childhood memories, a hat I really love (but is quickly getting worn out), and an Anthony Munoz #78 throwback jersey hanging in my closet.

I can't punt the Bengals. They're in my blood. I'm married to that franchise, better or worse, sicker or poorer. But I have decided to take on a mistress.

I'm seeking a new NFL team to love. Hopefully one that will bring me happiness, not misery.

Loyalty is sacred in my mind, but I honestly don't think I can take any more Cincinnati Bengals football right now. I need a diversion and a second team to love.

My rules are simple: good owner and management that cares about winning, relative proximity to Charlottesville VA (where I currently live), but no long history of success and no Super Bowl wins. I'm not a frontrunner. I also need a good fanbase that will welcome a newcomer.

Life is too short and the NFL is too awesome to waste it waiting around on the sh!tbag Bengals franchise.

It's Mike Brown. And not just Mike Brown, but his entire family. Good people? I don't know, I guess so. Good at running a football franchise? No. I can't keep this source of negativity in my life, it's like poison. I'm in a bad mood every Sunday. And for what? A team whose owner couldn't give two craps about winning or about the product they put on the field for the fans.

I love football too much to abandon the NFL and wait out this latest roster rot Mike Brown invited onto the Bengals. Pacman Jones. Terrell Owens. Ochostinko. Timid Carson Palmer and his noodle arm. Et cetera. And once these players cycle through, we'll just be on to the next batch of scumbags and bad draft picks. Twenty freaking years is a pattern, and it's long enough to stay in an abusive relationship. I've seen all I need to see.

I mean, I'm on my main Bengals message board talking about the Bengals' next coach, and we can't allow ourselves to even think about the team bringing in an established good coach? What kind of life is this? Being the underdog is great, but the Bengals don't play the game to win. Mike Brown doesn't play to win, he just plays to exist. He's stagnated and content to suckle from the teet of the teams that care enough to put a good product on the field. And I can't take it anymore.

I'm afraid my only option is to let the Bengals fanship go into hibernation and find a new franchise to roll with. That tiger-striped "B" is like a scarlet letter, and it's one I never deserved to be branded with. I don't live in Cincinnati, I never visit Cincinnati, I kind of hate Cincinnati. I have zero regional loyalty --- my home is (and will probably always be) in Virginia.

I have two kids now. I don't want them to hate football because they inherited the Bengals from their old man.

But like I said, orange and black is in my blood, so I'm sticking with the Bengals and taking on a #1a, and it has to be from the NFC. And I think I've made my decision on which NFC team to adopt...

Yep, you guessed it. My choice is the Carolina Panthers. Six main reasons:

1) A nice, easy, short 3.5 hour drive from CVille to a beautiful stadium in (what I think is) an awesome little city.

2) I've been completely dialed-in with the NFL since the day the Panthers franchise was conceived in 1993 and created in 1995. I've witnessed the organization's entire history. And I was right there pulling for them along the way when they beat the Steelers in '96, made the playoffs, and knocked off the defending-champion Cowboys. Then again when they went to the Super Bowl in 2003 as the Cardiac Cats. This team has knocked on the door, but it hasn't quite made it in. I like that about them.

3) They are basically at square one right now. The John Fox era is about to end, and at 1-7 and going nowhere fast, I'll be getting in at the beginning of a new era for the franchise. It is very important to me that I'm not portrayed as a cheesed!ck bandwagon jumper as I go through this process of choosing a new team.

4) On a basic, philosophical level, I think the Panthers are about good defense and a strong running game, complemented by an explosive downfield passing game. They are a new franchise with an old-school NFC feel, which I really like.

5) Jerry Richardson is exactly the kind of owner I like. He's an old-school, dyed-in-the-wool type of guy. He's a former player who reveres the game, and he believes in hiring a GM to run the football operations (an area in which long-suffering Bungles fans know the hardship).

So there it is. I am now officially in my infancy as a Carolina Panthers fan.

My question to you guys is simple: Will you have me? Can I join your community here? Will you teach me the ways of being a Panthers fan?

Edited by StompLord, 12 November 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#2 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hey guys,

I'm a Cincinnati Bengals fan, and I have been since 1985, when I was eight years old. The last time the Bengals won a playoff game was 1990. That was 20 years ago. Since then, they have been to the playoffs twice. Both times were huge embarrassing failures.

I've talked about jumping ship on the Bengals, but I've never seriously considered it. Until now. I don't live in Cincinnati. I haven't in 15 years. I don't have family in that city, I have no real connection to that city, and frankly, I kind of hate that city. At this point, the only thing keeping me a Bengals fan is a few fond (but fading) childhood memories, a hat I really love (but is quickly getting worn out), and an Anthony Munoz #78 throwback jersey hanging in my closet.

I can't punt the Bengals. They're in my blood. I'm married to that franchise, better or worse, sicker or poorer. But I have decided to take on a mistress.

I'm seeking a new NFL team to love. Hopefully one that will bring me happiness, not misery.

Loyalty is sacred in my mind, but I honestly don't think I can take any more Cincinnati Bengals football right now. I need a diversion and a second team to love.

My rules are simple: good owner and management that cares about winning, relative proximity to Charlottesville VA (where I currently live), but no long history of success and no Super Bowl wins. I'm not a frontrunner. I also need a good fanbase that will welcome a newcomer.

Life is too short and the NFL is too awesome to waste it waiting around on the sh!tbag Bengals franchise.

It's Mike Brown. And not just Mike Brown, but his entire family. Good people? I don't know, I guess so. Good at running a football franchise? No. I can't keep this source of negativity in my life, it's like poison. I'm in a bad mood every Sunday. And for what? A team whose owner couldn't give two craps about winning or about the product they put on the field for the fans.

I love football too much to abandon the NFL and wait out this latest roster rot Mike Brown invited onto the Bengals. Pacman Jones. Terrell Owens. Ochostinko. Timid Carson Palmer and his noodle arm. Et cetera. And once these players cycle through, we'll just be on to the next batch of scumbags and bad draft picks. Twenty freaking years is a pattern, and it's long enough to stay in an abusive relationship. I've seen all I need to see.

I mean, I'm on my main Bengals message board talking about the Bengals' next coach, and we can't allow ourselves to even think about the team bringing in an established good coach? What kind of life is this? Being the underdog is great, but the Bengals don't play the game to win. Mike Brown doesn't play to win, he just plays to exist. He's stagnated and content to suckle from the teet of the teams that care enough to put a good product on the field. And I can't take it anymore.

I'm afraid my only option is to let the Bengals fanship go into hibernation and find a new franchise to roll with. That tiger-striped "B" is like a scarlet letter, and it's one I never deserved to be branded with. I don't live in Cincinnati, I never visit Cincinnati, I kind of hate Cincinnati. I have zero regional loyalty --- my home is (and will probably always be) in Virginia.

I have two kids now. I don't want them to hate football because they inherited the Bengals from their old man.

But like I said, orange and black is in my blood, so I'm sticking with the Bengals and taking on a #1a, and it has to be from the NFC. And I think I've made my decision on which NFC team to adopt...

Yep, you guessed it. My choice is the Carolina Panthers. Six main reasons:

1) A nice, easy, short 3.5 hour drive from CVille to a beautiful stadium in (what I think is) an awesome little city.

2) I've been completely dialed-in with the NFL since the day the Panthers franchise was conceived in 1993 and created in 1995. I've witnessed the organization's entire history. And I was right there pulling for them along the way when they beat the Steelers in '96, made the playoffs, and knocked off the defending-champion Cowboys. Then again when they went to the Super Bowl in 2003 as the Cardiac Cats. This team has knocked on the door, but it hasn't quite made it in. I like that about them.

3) They are basically at square one right now. The John Fox era is about to end, and at 1-7 and going nowhere fast, I'll be getting in at the beginning of a new era for the franchise. It is very important to me that I'm not portrayed as a cheesed!ck bandwagon jumper as I go through this process of choosing a new team.

4) On a basic, philosophical level, I think the Panthers are about good defense and a strong running game, complemented by an explosive downfield passing game. They are a new franchise with an old-school NFC feel, which I really like.

5) Jerry Richardson is exactly the kind of owner I like. He's an old-school, dyed-in-the-wool type of guy. He's a former player who reveres the game, and he believes in hiring a GM to run the football operations (an area in which long-suffering Bungles fans know the hardship).

So there it is. I am now officially in my infancy as a Carolina Panthers fan.

My question to you guys is simple: Will you have me? Can I join your community here? Will you teach me the ways of being a Panthers fan?

Combine the traits of The_Saltman, Fiz, RT81, and SLJ and you will be well on your way to Super Panthers Fandom! :willy_nilly:

Seriously, One needs to be Meloncholy, Drab, Dark, Pessimistic, ludacris, "It is what it is", 3rd-10 = Draw Play, "**** gives us the best chance to win", JR is cheap, JR is not cheap, JD is the Savior, JD sucks nuts, and Trade our whole team for a bag of doritos and 1 cold beer. All of these are things you will encounter with this team and message board... and dont forget the boobs.

Welcome aboard the ship even though it is taking on water.

Edited by ElkinPanthersFan, 12 November 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#3 StompLord

StompLord

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

Sorry for the long, rambling, stream-of-consciousness post. I just didn't want to saunter in here and portray myself as anything other than what I am: a brand new Panthers fan. I'm literally a noob in every sense of the term.

#4 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

come back after fox is gone, there is literally nothing going for us now until then. The starting offensive unit we are putting out vs the bucs is basically equivalent to the patriots 3rd stringers.

#5 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

I'm not reading all that.

#6 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

I'm not reading all that.

Yeah...anyone got a cliff notes version?

#7 replive

replive

It's a process

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:40 PM

guys a bengals fan, tired of cheap owner, wants team to cheer for near his home, doesn't want to be a bandwagon fan, chooses panthers to cheer for

#8 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

guys a bengals fan, tired of cheap owner, wants team to cheer for near his home, doesn't want to be a bandwagon fan, chooses panthers to cheer for

That's not even possible

#9 StompLord

StompLord

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

Yep, pretty much. Sorry again it was so long. I just started going and couldn't stop.

#10 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

Welcome aboard. Panthers were my first and only team but you will find plenty of former Redskins and Niners fans lurking around :lol:

#11 PanthaSan

PanthaSan

Sith Bewbie Padawan....

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

Combine the traits of The_Saltman, Fiz, RT81, and SLJ and you will be well on your way to Super Panthers Fandom! :willy_nilly:

Seriously, One needs to be Meloncholy, Drab, Dark, Pessimistic, ludacris, "It is what it is", 3rd-10 = Draw Play, "**** gives us the best chance to win", JR is cheap, JR is not cheap, JD is the Savior, JD sucks nuts, and Trade our whole team for a bag of doritos and 1 cold beer. All of these are things you will encounter with this team and message board... and dont forget the boobs.

Welcome aboard the ship even though it is taking on water.

:lol:
Best synopsis regarding teh huddle but you left out the "inbreeding" and "panther nation rebuilding by having kids" programs. Somehow I think those are related....

Welcome aboard and you will be saying cincinatti who? before you know it...

#12 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:49 PM

Yeah...anyone got a cliff notes version?

Originally Posted by StompLord
Hey guys,

I'm a Cincinnati Bengals fan since childhood, and I have been since 1985. Last playoff win 1990. Dam we have sucked since. I can't punt the Bengals they are in my blood.I'm seeking a new NFL team to bring me happiness.

Loyalty is sacred in my mind.

My rules are simple: good owner/management that cares about winning, team close to Charlottesville VA but no long history of success and no Super Bowl wins. I'm not a frontrunner. I also need a good fanbase that will welcome a newcomer.

Life is too short and this post is too long.

Mike Brown, Owner of Bengals, might be a good guy but sucks at being an owner. He is a Debbie downer to my mood. Packman and TO. Ochostinko. Timid Carson Palmer and his noodle arm are bringing us down. 20 more years of sucking, I can't handle it.

On the Bengals message board we believe we cant even bring in a good coach. Our owner just cares about money.

I'm stick with Cinncinnati but I have no ties to them and their terrible ownership/leadership/city/region.

I have two kids now. I don't want them to hate football b/cthey inheritied the Bengals franchise from me.

But like I the Bengals, but I want to be a Panthers fan. Here is why.

2) I've quietly kept up with the Panthers since 1993.

3) John Fox is a dead end coach /w panthers. I'm becoming a fan when they suck and I dont want to be a bandwagon rider when they becomd good.

4) Panthers= Good defense and running game, Hope for hail mary passing game.

5) Jerry Richardson is Legit old school owner. He's a former player who reveres the game, and he believes in hiring a GM.(Something the Bengals dont have).

That's about as short as I can make it.

Edited by ElkinPanthersFan, 12 November 2010 - 03:54 PM.

#13 ryoung

ryoung

Don't Call Me FairWeather

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:54 PM

One thing that I always thought was cool about the Bengals. They are the only professional team that I know of that was created solely for the purpose of giving the bird to another sports team.

Paul Brown gets bounced out of Cleveland from a team named after him "The Browns" and proceeded to move down the road a bit and start anther team "The Bengals" with basically the same team colors and everything and then get it set up so he could play his old team every year. That's a level of pissed off I have never been to in my life.

So the Cincinnati Bengals stands as a giant FU to Cleveland. You gotta respect that!

#14 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

:lol:
Best synopsis regarding teh huddle but you left out the "inbreeding" and "panther nation rebuilding by having kids" programs. Somehow I think those are related....

Welcome aboard and you will be saying cincinatti who? before you know it...

Damn, I can't believe I forgot the inbreeding and ASU Homers/haters!

#15 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,736 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:11 PM

welcome aboard... we all hope you get your first superbowl as a fan with us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com