Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unicar15

NC State/UNC Game Week

99 posts in this topic

I also agree with Panthro about Butch. There are more fans than you know that are fed up with Butch and the way that he essentially tied their hands up to give him contract extensions and raises while there were infractions happening under his watch.

So you two are plugged into the UNC fan base are ya? I suppose it wasn't the same one where at Kenan over half of the crowd had "I Support Butch" shirts on.

Also if the guy is overated, what does that make Tom O'Brien? C'mon...no need to dish out completely ignorant statements. While Butch has this over his head, he has clearly accomplished more in his career than Tommy O.

So you two are plugged into the UNC fan base are ya? I suppose it wasn't the same one where at Kenan over half of the crowd had "I Support Butch" shirts on.

Also if the guy is overated, what does that make Tom O'Brien? C'mon...no need to dish out completely ignorant statements. While Butch has this over his head, he has clearly accomplished more in his career than Tommy O.

Since Tom O'brien gets national attention. Learn the meaning of "overrated."

As far as the "I support Butch" shirts go...thats a wonderful gesture by some of the fans but fans don't write checks. Boosters do and the AD does. From what I have heard, they are less than ecstatic with Butch ruining their squeaky clean image over a sport that has always been an afterthought in Chapel Hill.

I have no problem with Butch Davis being the coach at Carolina. NCSU and TOB are one game away from matching UNCs best ever record under Butch Davis and the win could come in a fourth straight victory over BMFD. What will Carolina fans say then?? Oh yeah...Recruiting.

Honestly, I think that Carolina fans are going to be pretty disappointed in the next year or so with what is going to happen. Lets face facts...He employed a runner for an agent as his assistant coach. It doesn't get much worse than that.

1 person likes this

Since Tom O'brien gets national attention. Learn the meaning of "overrated."

As far as the "I support Butch" shirts go...thats a wonderful gesture by some of the fans but fans don't write checks. Boosters do and the AD does. From what I have heard, they are less than ecstatic with Butch ruining their squeaky clean image over a sport that has always been an afterthought in Chapel Hill.

I have no problem with Butch Davis being the coach at Carolina. NCSU and TOB are one game away from matching UNCs best ever record under Butch Davis and the win could come in a fourth straight victory over BMFD. What will Carolina fans say then?? Oh yeah...Recruiting.

Honestly, I think that Carolina fans are going to be pretty disappointed in the next year or so with what is going to happen. Lets face facts...He employed a runner for an agent as his assistant coach. It doesn't get much worse than that.

I still can't help but chuckle at the notion that you "hear this" or "hear that". I'm pretty sure all you hear is a bunch of nervous Pack fans who don't want to worry about the UNC threat...especially considering UNC owns this state in recruiting.

Any probation dealt out will be handled with class and the school will get through it. Butch Davis has cleaned up a few messes before and now he'll have to clean up his own mess.

I mean this weekend he has a chance to beat the Wolfpack with a team full of young players and walk-ons. Should he pull it off he'll basically earn another 5 years no matter what.

....oh and ha at Tom O'Brien's National Attention. You mean the National Attention created in Raleigh? I haven't seen or heard of him mentioned in any of my weekly College Football shows I watch. No one outside of the ACC cares about Tom O'Brien. Until he wins a Bowl Game in Raleigh or a Championship it'll stay that way.

....oh and ha at Tom O'Brien's National Attention. You mean the National Attention created in Raleigh? I haven't seen or heard of him mentioned in any of my weekly College Football shows I watch. No one outside of the ACC cares about Tom O'Brien. Until he wins a Bowl Game in Raleigh or a Championship it'll stay that way.

Somebody doesn't understand sarcastic statements.

So what he said was inaccurate?

I wonder how actual UNC fans feel about Butchie and the dark cloud his team has cast over the school. I get the fact that the Walmart Carolina fans don't care about cheating or academic infractions because they never had anything to do with the college itself....so they'll keep on defending him while the true fans want him out on the street.

Me personally he is like the football equivalent of Matt Doherty and I wish UNC would sign him to an extension. Have fun watching us in the ACC Championship. All your 8 win seasons never got you this close.

Just wait 'til the Carolina folk realize that the NCAA investigation is going to be carried over into basketball. They used the same "tutors".

Somebody doesn't understand sarcastic statements.

Or how about somebody doesn't understand how to present to others. :P

I mean this weekend he has a chance to beat the Wolfpack with a team full of young players and walk-ons. Should he pull it off he'll basically earn another 5 years no matter what.

This is laughable.

What if TOB wins again, only another 4 years?

Again, its probably not hard recruiting when you have Black Santa.

T.O.B. = Tom Owns Butch

I still don't get how it was a slight at Carolina?? Please explain...

Now that Toms "presser" is being discussed at the national level and you ask why?

1) Well first of all, a HC shouldn't be talking about an ongoing investigation. (For obvious reasons.)

2) While the members of the press came to hear some serious football talk about Saturday's game, Tom begins to rant about what's happening "over there", then speaks for his AD to take a shot at UNC's AD and then finally compares the ACC title game to a "carrot", all to the delight of the media.

3) The delivery was cocky and arrogant but at the same time, comparing a ACC Championship to a "carrot"? I've heard a "reward" called many things but never a carrot.

4) Could it be he was making the UNC game seem more important than an ACC title, because that's all he has on his resume and he feels his team has no shot, or is he just that confident in himself and/or his team.

When I read this article on Tuesday morning, I couldn't believe what he was saying. Although, UNC and NCSU are rivals it's not the "Iron Bowl" for Christ's sake, wished it was but it's not. Tom is trying to convince everyone that this game means more from a rivalry standpoint, than a shot at a ACC Championship and that's not a carrot, thats insane.

I'm sure our "resident scholars" will use the "liar, liar, pants on fire" defense or the old Walmart fan/never been to college angle as a reply..:beatdeadhorse5:

Now that Toms "presser" is being discussed at the national level and you ask why?

1) Well first of all, a HC shouldn't be talking about an ongoing investigation. (For obvious reasons.)

2) While the members of the press came to hear some serious football talk about Saturday's game, Tom begins to rant about what's happening "over there", then speaks for his AD to take a shot at UNC's AD and then finally compares the ACC title game to a "carrot", all to the delight of the media.

3) The delivery was cocky and arrogant but at the same time, comparing a ACC Championship to a "carrot"? I've heard a "reward" called many things but never a carrot.

4) Could it be he was making the UNC game seem more important than an ACC title, because that's all he has on his resume and he feels his team has no shot, or is he just that confident in himself and/or his team.

When I read this article on Tuesday morning, I couldn't believe what he was saying. Although, UNC and NCSU are rivals it's not the "Iron Bowl" for Christ's sake, wished it was but it's not. Tom is trying to convince everyone that this game means more from a rivalry standpoint, than a shot at a ACC Championship and that's not a carrot, thats insane.

I'm sure our "resident scholars" will use the "liar, liar, pants on fire" defense or the old Walmart fan/never been to college angle as a reply..:beatdeadhorse5:

No..what he is saying is that THIS WEEK it means more. Not every coach is like BMFD in saying that "every game counts the same." TOB came into this job saying that we had three goals.

1) Ranked in the top 20 every year

2) Build an ACC Championship team

3) Beat Carolina

That is one of the perks of having a coach that acknowledges THIS GAME as our rivalry and not some game against a big-time school like LSU. If you asked Davis what the most important game on the schedule was he'd say it was LSU b/c of national attention. If you asked TOB, he'd say the Carolina game because of he rivalry. That is the difference between the two coaches and IMO that is the reason we have won the last 3 in a row. Maybe Butch has woken up a bit and realized that UNC fans WANT THIS GAME. But up until this point he refused to acknowledge the game's meaning and his players sank to his level.

But up until this point he refused to acknowledge the game's meaning and his players sank to his level.

Well perhaps that's just a take on coaching philosophies? Perhaps "BMFD" looks at the bigger picture while Tom O'Brien looks local? It is a double-edge sword, both coaches lose if they think either way.

tarheel fans measure the season's success in wins and losses. state fans measure success by beating the tar heels. thus defining your own inferiority.

1 person likes this

The last three seasons State has won, and we are inferior?

WMUNC fans.