53 replies to this topic

#16 MattB

MattB

Project QB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

The thing is if we end up with the first pick it probably means Clausen has not played well, so then it becomes an easy question to answer. You build your team around a franchise QB.

#17 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:21 PM

I take Luck, pick up a nice Vet backup QB, and keep Jimmy on to keep learning if he shows any sort of promise this year. Pike, not sold on... but then again, I admit that I haven't seen him either, so could be wrong on him.

One of the two should pan out for us, especially if we get rid of Mr. "I don't like to develop rookie QBs", and the Cleveland reject squad (aka Davidson and Rip) is a bad memory around here.

If we don't get Luck, I'll agree it's prolly smart to trade down a little and get an explosive force at the DT spot (Darius maybe?) to help stop the run and rush the passer. The guys we have atm can't manage to do that, and we need one badly.

#18 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:42 PM

Keep in mind folks, when the Chargers drafted Rivers in 2004, they still kept Brees around and kept him as the starting quarterback. You don't pass on quarterbacks like Luck.

Nothing against Clausen either; I think he has a lot of potential. Just my opinion that you cannot and should not pass on a quarterback like Luck.

#19 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

If we pass on Luck because of Clausen then I'll be pissed. I know he's a rookie but you have to show some type of progress and IMO he hasn't. He has a 54 passer rating and has thrown 1 TD in 4 games compared to 4 picks. Bring in Luck and sign a damn FA at WR to shore up that deficit. You don't pass on a franchise QB from Stanford of all places to draft a WR. Its not like Luck is in a pass happy spread offense. He plays in a pro style offense, has a pro body as a junior in college, and plays for a pro coach. He looks like Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, and Ben Roethlisberger when they came out. He is a TRUE franchise QB.

#20 Seamonk

Seamonk

kekekekekeke

• HUDDLER
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Va

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Between those two.. I'd pick Luck. New coaching staff is gonna want better choices around them. Better to have Clausen and Luck and Pike to choose from than Clausen and Pike and Incumbent

I think we'll see our trade offers leading into the draft too. we might also get the top pick 2 years in a row with AMPLE cap room after seeing how next year works out.

I'd love to get a late first round Guard and a QB in the second though. We gotta face it.. after 1-15, we didn't really -rebuild- all that much, we just sort of built for a few years and it bit us.

#21 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:54 PM

AJ Green.

A good coach and a solid vet QB can give you a good offense if you have legit talent.

#22 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:55 PM

dez bryant was that once in a decade receiver, but we got E. Brown instead!

#23 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,546 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

Patrick Peterson.

#24 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 11,133 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

luck.

#25 SteveSmithOwns

SteveSmithOwns

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

Luck. and if we have the 1st overall and trade down for a late round first and a 2nd, the GM, be that Hurney or the new guy should immediately be fired. With what looks to be a rookie pay scale, the #1 overall should be worth two late round firsts easy, especially if a team is in love with a guy.

#26 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

Looooooooonnnnnggggg way till April, fellas.

#27 CAVSS

CAVSS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

A.J. had a hard time getting decent separation from Auburns corners. Even when he got the ball he was barely open. Auburns DB's are pretty awful btw. Not impressed at all. I saw nothing elite from him. Decent yes. Elite no. I haven't watched Luck play at all so I can't comment.

#28 Rags

Rags

help

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,228 posts
  • LocationButtsville, NC

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:14 AM

Luck.

This is a QB League. We need one. Unless Clausen impresses everyone the next 7 games I don't see why we shouldn't take him. Bring in a vet to help him grow, maybe start until Luck feels comfortable to start, but if we have a chance to get a QB of the future, we shouldn't pass it up.

If Luck stays another year, I'm torn between helping our offense with Green, slightly because LaFell and Gettis are growing, or buffing up our D more.

Also, where is Bradford's and McCoy's big name supporting cast?

Edited by Rags, 15 November 2010 - 07:16 AM.

#29 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,420 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Drafting Luck is the obvious choice if we have the #1 overall pick. Trade Clausen for a 3rd if we can get it. A great Qb can make WRs look like All Stars. Look at Peyton.. he makes Pierre Garcon and Austen Collie look insane. I guarantee those guys would be nothing on the Carolina Panthers. QB is the answer.. the QB can improve our defense too.. keeping them off the field and keeping them fresh. Everything goes through the QB.

#30 Lite4Nite

Lite4Nite

Crossover!

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Vick will be a free agent...somehow convince philly to give him to us as well as other future draft picks(maybe trade our 1st pick?) and then do a little trading with our 3 STUD RBs and get a pick somewhere from 5-10 and grab AJ. Possible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com