Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unicar15

Andrew Luck vs. Jimmy Clausen

157 posts in this topic

i believe any aversion to drafting luck in lieu of clausen illustrates the difference between playing for notre dame v. playing for stanford.

the average nfl fan watches like 3 college games a week. it's not really their fault.

I get it guys

Luck is ranked higher he will always be a better N F L QB

than a 2nd ,3rd or 4th round draft pick ever could be .

Lets Draft Luck

Now you are just trolling...I feel you. It can't possibly be because of what we've seen from Clausen so far.

I get it guys

Luck is ranked higher he will always be a better N F L QB

than a 2nd ,3rd or 4th round draft pick ever could be .

No one said that and you still don't get it.

Let us not forget we stumbled upon Wharton at pick 94 & Kalil at 59. There's no doubt we can find great help beyond the first round in the draft...or in the FA for that matter. What's the problem here?

Don't know about all that draft stuff, but I do know that it's not often you get then number 1 draft pick overall, and it's not often you get to take the top ranked QB. Sure they don't always pan out, but half the battle is taking a chance and doing it. Ask the Rams, Jets, Falcons, Bucs, and Ravens, how the future is looking for them.

1 person likes this

Sadly there isn't anything close to a Jake Long to pick @ #1.

Best prospects are Green,Luck, and the CB duo.

Which we just drafted 2.5 of both in the last draft

A few more thoughts on this subject:

I was watching a Stanford game, they were saying NFL Scouts already think Andrew Luck is better than alot of QB's in the NFL right now.

To me DT is a need on this team but there is no top DT in this years draft and a coaching change could bring a new scheme to the team, so DL should be addressed in later rounds of the draft or via FA.

To me OL is NOT a huge need. IF Jeff Otah injury is serious, then yes OL become a priority but just like DT, there is no top OL in this years draft, so we cant reach.

Top picks arnt usually traded, so its not as easy as some make it sound. I could see someone wanting to trade up though, just because Andrew Luck is such a special prospect, which should make our decision that much easier and just draft Luck.

With a new Head Coach and coaching staff, I feel this team will play better as a whole.

Lastly...

Jimmy Clausen COULD become a franchise QB, Andrew Luck WILL be a franchise QB baring injuries.

1 person likes this

Doesnt matter what chance Clausen has had. I really like the kid, but from all that I have read Luck is the next great QB. No guarantees, but Lucks ceiling is way higher than Clausens.

We have to have 'our' guy. Clausen could be it, but let him battle it out with Luck.

Luck could be a franchise defining type of player, cant pass up on him.

EXACTLY.

This is the point that you bank on. You don't pass up a guy that has the characteristics of Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Ryan to play a guy that is more of a Chad Pennington. Is a guy like Pennington good? Yeah...but he isn't Manning, Ryan, or Rodgers. Its the most important position in all of sports. You don't pass on an elite level talent because you "think" you might have a good QB. Andrew Luck is a sure-fire Pro bowl caliber QB. The type of QB this franchise has never had.

Hell...The freaking Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers when they had Drew Brees on their team. I wouldn't exactly call Jimmy Clausen a Drew Brees caliber QB right now.

For those of you that think that we should "trade down." When was the last time someone traded out of the first pick? Not only is it incredibly difficult to do...its incredibly stupid to do when you don't have a QB entrenched as a starter.

Can you imagine what Falcons fans would have done if Atlanta had traded down to take Glenn Dorsey and passed on Matt Ryan?? Atlanta would still be in the cellar with an overrated Glenn Dorsey and Ryan would be excelling at another franchise. It is just a preposterous idea...

This is the point that you bank on. You don't pass up a guy that has the characteristics of Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Ryan to play a guy that is more of a Chad Pennington. Is a guy like Pennington good? Yeah...but he isn't Manning, Ryan, or Rodgers. Its the most important position in all of sports. You don't pass on an elite level talent because you "think" you might have a good QB. Andrew Luck is a sure-fire Pro bowl caliber QB. The type of QB this franchise has never had.

Not sure what a "sure-fire pro bowl caliber QB" is. Sounds really funny.

If you are trying to say that he is a lock you are wrong, there is no such thing.

If you are trying to say his potential is ridiculous and hasn't been seen for a few years in a QB then you are correct.

There will be risk no matter what and he could be a bust but it'll be hard to pass him up.

Glenn Dorsey is a three technique miscast as a 4-3 end after Haley was hired as HC in KC. He obviously isnt in a position to make as big an impact as he would be had he been drafted by Atlanta.

Glenn Dorsey is a three technique miscast as a 4-3 end after Haley was hired as HC in KC. He obviously isnt in a position to make as big an impact as he would be had he been drafted by Atlanta.

Would you rather have Ryan or Dorsey? That is the point.

Well for that franchise at that time, yes Ryan was obviously the correct choice, but lets be fair to Dorsey and consider the scheme/role he excelled at in college and is built for in the pros before we just label him as "overrated" when he doesnt light the world on fire when he's asked to be a space-eater.