Photo
- - - - -

remember when mike vick ASKED to be on the panthers?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#46 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:18 PM

I was responding to Ladypanthers comments...

This sounds like a person who thinks Vick is beneath them..now try to connect that to my high horse pic and maybe you will get it

There are some things that threaten our humanity. Being entertained by and promoting torture and abuse is one of them. That is not a mistake. That is a deep seeded a pervasive character disorder. I have never considered anyone beneath me. There are things that sadden me. And there are things I know because of my experience. I have spent my career helping people overcome obstacles to live a better life. I have learned some hard truths. You do not like them so you try to trivialize me. There are some things people can change, and some they can't. Not my fault.

#47 Debil

Debil

Stop the insanity

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:23 PM

Real life.

http://www.carolinah...37&postcount=92

I have an extensive background in counseling as well, for what it's worth, and with all due respect, I must disagree.

Certainly, what Vick did was heinous, and I am not defending that at all. But you've not even talked with the man (I am assuming), much less worked with him, so categorically diagnosing him with any disorder based solely on your own past experience is premature at best.

Of course, you are human, with your own background and history, and you have a right to an opinion of the man and to feel the way you do towards him. And he may be, in fact, "playing the game", as you indicated. But it is not very professional to corroborate your feelings about the man by simply using the "background in mental health" rubber stamp.

#48 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

I appreciate Vick wanting to play here. It was a nice sentiment.

That does not change the fact he is not the sort of person I want on this team.

If he has indeed changed, I will soften to him. I am glad he is finding success and hope that it keeps him on the straight and narrow. However, what he did is not something I easily forget in favor of having a better football team. You can say what you want about me for it, but I just feel that such a person is not who I want to be rooting for on Sundays right now. I feel I should support all Panther players, and I don't want to support him right now.

Oh I get it! You obviously haven't had enough life experiences to forgive someone that has paid his debt to society, and turned his life around. Isn't that what this Country is about?

#49 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

Oh I get it! You obviously haven't had enough life experiences to forgive someone that has paid his debt to society, and turned his life around. Isn't that what this Country is about?

Yeah, there's a good one. Just because I don't want to root for someone who did something heinous means I haven't had enough life experiences.

Or maybe I have, and I realize that not all crimes are created equal, and we're all able to formulate our own opinions about convicted felons as we see fit. I'm not saying deny the man a job. I'm not even saying keep him out of the NFL. All I'm saying is I would rather have other quarterbacks than him who have less baggage.

If he truly has changed, he'll show it, and I'll be glad. Forgive me if I'm leery right now and would rather he not play for us.

#50 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:32 PM

I have an extensive background in counseling as well, for what it's worth, and with all due respect, I must disagree.

Certainly, what Vick did was heinous, and I am not defending that at all. But you've not even talked with the man (I am assuming), much less worked with him, so categorically diagnosing him with any disorder based solely on your own past experience is premature at best.

Of course, you are human, with your own background and history, and you have a right to an opinion of the man and to feel the way you do towards him. And he may be, in fact, "playing the game", as you indicated. But it is not very professional to corroborate your feelings about the man by simply using the "background in mental health" rubber stamp.

It is not my "feeling." My feelings want everyone to be successful. It is my experience about people who are capable of this level of a abuse and torture. It is an incredibly deep problem. Vick may be able to manage his behavior at this time. But he is not a changed man. I hope he is motivated to and able to manage it for a very long time. Never going to count on it.

#51 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,273 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:38 PM

Fixed for you.

As a person, he is scum...even if he can now play the PR game. Somethings are not worth it. We can do better and we are better than that.

"we are better than that" :rolleyes: He's made some mistakes, just like we all have. Nobody on this Earth is perfect

"If I could play for any team in the league, it would probably be two teams, but if I had to pick one, it would probably be the Carolina Panthers."

"It's close to home. I like the uniforms. You get to play against Atlanta twice a year. Ain't nothing better than playing against your former team, right? So, yeah, that would be a good look."

After all the hate and negativity this fanbase has given Vick over the years he could've pooted on us. But he one upped his haters and gave us the ultimate compliment. I think he said what he said to let all his haters in this fanbase know he loves them and appreciates them doubting him all these years.

+ Rep
It's good to see him out there proving all the haters and doubters wrong. He's played a damn near perfect game out there tonight. 6 TD's tonight!(2 rushing) That's 11 TD passes on the season and 0 INT's. Folks on here and other places said he couldnt get better. LOL at that..

#52 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

It is not my "feeling." My feelings want everyone to be successful. It is my experience about people who are capable of this level of a abuse and torture. It is an incredibly deep problem. Vick may be able to manage his behavior at this time. But he is not a changed man. I hope he is motivated to and able to manage it for a very long time. Never going to count on it.

So you have never once counseled Vick yet you can tell because of your degree that he can never change?

I agree with Debil this sounds like your feelings talking.

#53 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:54 PM

Id personally like to thank the OP for another BRILLIANT Vick thread. Thanks.

#54 Debil

Debil

Stop the insanity

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:59 PM

Again, with all due respect, you did call the man "scum" in another post - which is what prompted my comments regarding the validation of your opinion about the man based solely on your background in mental health - which, other than reports by the media, is really all that you have to go on with Vick. That doesn't seem to me to be consistent with wanting everyone to be successful.

You say you have worked with a lot of criminals, and you keep referring to Vick as an "abuser", which is interesting. I am curious as to how many people you have worked with that have been convicted of dog fighting? Or even cock fighting? (no jokes, guys). I think you will find that not all convicted of those types of crimes can be categorically diagnosed as "abusers", at least in the sense that you are portraying Vick.

Once again, this is not a defense for Vick. And without having worked with the man myself, I cannot even say for certain what motivated him, or diagnose him with any particular "character flaw". Nor can I say that the man will never be able to change. Only time will tell that.

#55 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

So you have never once counseled Vick yet you can tell because of your degree that he can never change?

I agree with Debil this sounds like your feelings talking.

So, you have never met me but you have decided that I am lying when I say that my feelings are that I would love for Vick to be successful (meaning changing his ways) and that my opinion about his poor likelihood of change is a professional one.

#56 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

so, in a change of subject... are we going to have a new Vick thread every time he plays from now until he retires, or will people finally give it up once this season is over?

#57 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:06 AM

Vick paid his debt to society. He was in jail longer than both Ray Lewis and Donte Stallworth combined and they killed PEOPLE. Yeah what he did was bad but people seriously need to get over it.

#58 Debil

Debil

Stop the insanity

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:07 AM

so, in a change of subject... are we going to have a new Vick thread every time he plays from now until he retires, or will people finally give it up once this season is over?

Nah... just on days when he's in the only game of the day, and running up a score that looks like it should be on a basketball scoreboard in the first half. :lol:

#59 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:09 AM

That doesn't explain last weeks, Debil... :(

#60 Cover2

Cover2

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

Wow just wow a lot teams that needed qb's look foolish right now and eagles management look like geniuses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com