Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Honest Thoughts On The Draft.

88 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

1. We are set at WR. The passing game has looked so crappy this season because of QB play and play calling, not WR depth. Both LaFell and Gettis have #2 caliber for a run heavy team like us.

2. Another young QB wont help. We need a QB to grow and get comfortable before we can decide he sucks. That means you, Clausen haters.

3. We need to pick up a washed up veteran QB in the offseason as a backup and a mentor.

4. Our first draft choice should be used on the O-Line or the D-Line, because, quite frankly, they have not played well enough this season. The O-Line has sucked, and the D-Line hasn't been dominant enough. [See #5]

4.5. Obviously the one above needs an edit, because it wasn't clear. When I said "our first draft pick", that doesn't necessarily mean the top 5 pick we will have. Trade down a round, get up 2/3 more picks.

5. We need a dominant DT in this draft. These no name guys we've got have played okay, but we aren't putting enough pressure on the opposing QB.

6. We need to fire Jeff Davidson. Just that right there will solve half of our problems.

Posted · Report post

dont care

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Fiz']dont care[/QUOTE]

As a Panthers fan, you should.

Posted · Report post

Drafting for need over BPA usually ends in disaster.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SmittyIsOurSavior']

2. Another young QB wont help. We need a QB to grow and get comfortable before we can decide he sucks. [b]That means you, Clausen haters[/b][/QUOTE]

how to construct a straw man

step 1. take a strong side

step 2. falsely characterize anyone who would argue with any part of your opinion

step 3. attack that false characterization with easy to remember and type little names

step 4. accuse anyone that disagrees as being this false characterization, then refer them back to your previous posts
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Saltman']Drafting for need over BPA usually ends in disaster.[/QUOTE]

Because, in almost every case of drafting for need, we have drafted a receiver.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Saltman']Drafting for need over BPA usually ends in disaster.[/QUOTE]

We dont have to worry about that this draft because everything is a need.

Posted · Report post

Unless u can trade down u don't draft an OL or DT. Why waste the first overall pick including the crazy amount of compensation for a player that is not worth that pick.

Posted · Report post

Smith is not getting any younger and you will soon need a #1 WR. If you pass on the next Larry Fitzgerald(AJ Green) you should be shot!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Saltman']Unless u can trade down u don't draft an OL or DT. Why waste the first overall pick including the crazy amount of compensation for a player that is not worth that pick.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We trade down, get some extra picks, and give someone else (Arizona) the chance to take the big named QBs.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='caddieman']Smith is not getting any younger and you will soon need a #1 WR. If you pass on the next Larry Fitzgerald(AJ Green) you should be shot![/QUOTE]

Who is going to throw him the ball? John Fox on the couch?

Posted · Report post

If we take another WR early in the draft, or anywhere in the draft for that matter, then we deserve to be the NFL's worst team.

Posted · Report post

i read someone said they wanted the panthers to draft AJ green because he's shown he can make any quarterback look good.

that seems like putting the cart ahead of the horse to me.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Saltman']Who is going to throw him the ball? John Fox on the couch?[/QUOTE]

Pickles!..........all he has to do it get it near him(see megatron in Detroit) lol!

Posted · Report post

lol I would pick any of the qbs on Detroit over Jimmy Clausen.

Posted · Report post

is kitna's contract expiring? I've always liked him minus his bible thumping ways. he's good with young QBs and is a good starter in a pinch. he's my vote for back up journey man QB old guy

Posted · Report post

Gettis could be the next Fitz if he had a QB like Kurt Warner. And for all we know, Clausen could be the next Kurt Warner if we gave him time to grow.

Posted · Report post

I still like AJ Greene. I know we need a QB but if you're going by draft best talent rather than need I like AJ better than Luck. I know all they say about Luck but he was just a Freshman. Another reason I like AJ is becasue Qbs like Clausen can grow where as our #1 Smitty is going downhill, WR is still a strong need. I am not comfortable with any WR being #1 as of now.

Luck or AJ I will be happy though. However with Hurney in charge I suspect a trade down and neither. Niether of them have 'value'.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='The Saltman']lol I would pick any of the qbs on Detroit over Jimmy Clausen.[/QUOTE]

You Guys need to Draft AJ Green and get a vet QB who can get him the ball.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='kinderfeld11'] However with Hurney in charge I suspect a trade down.[/QUOTE]

Is there any precedence where a gm traded the first overall pick for the first overall pick in the next years draft?

Posted · Report post

My thread has gone from "Let's stay away from drafting young receivers or QBs" to "Should we take a young receiver or a QB with our top 5 overall pick?"

Posted · Report post

Look for Carolina to swing multiple trades come draft day. Goodson or Deangelo will not be here next year. The next coach, cowher, is going to want to get his type of players quick. Carolina may continually trade down until the 3rd round and stock up. Since they will have the cap room to sign free agents, its not 100% necessary to use that 1st round pick.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='chknwing']Look for Carolina to swing multiple trades come draft day. Goodson or Deangelo will not be here next year. The next coach, cowher, is going to want to get his type of players quick. Carolina may continually trade down until the 3rd round and stock up. Since they will have the cap room to sign free agents, its not 100% necessary to use that 1st round pick.[/QUOTE]

whelp, this is the worst post

Posted · Report post

[quote name='chknwing']Look for Carolina to swing multiple trades come draft day. Goodson or Deangelo will not be here next year. The next coach, cowher, is going to want to get his type of players quick. Carolina may continually trade down until the 3rd round and stock up. Since they will have the cap room to sign free agents, its not 100% necessary to use that 1st round pick.[/QUOTE]

I'm liking this plan, minus the DeAngelo trade. But hell, I'd take Cowher in a heartbeat over any other coach.

Posted · Report post

If you Guys truly have the 1st pick in the draft next year it will depend if there is a Rookie cap in place. If there is a cap you might come out very well doing that. If there is still no cap the #1 pick is almost impossible to trade out of!