cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

http://www.foxnews.c...,481854,00.html

Girls Basketball Team Wins 100-0, Seeks Forfeit

DALLAS — A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.

Now officials from the winning school say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

In a statement Thursday on The Covenant School's Web site, the head of school said, "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened." He went on to say that Covenant has made "a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss."

Last week Covenant, a private Christian school in Dallas, defeated Dallas Academy 100-0. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes and head of school Kyle Queal did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised "each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner." Civello said he appreciated the gesture and has accepted the apology "with no ill feelings."

At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

#2 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:28 AM

Wonder if their coach knows anything about defensive football.

#3 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:31 AM

Oh man glad I was not drinking milk when I read that

#4 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:35 AM

I don't understand their logic at all.

If State beats Carolina (not gonna happen) by 600 pts, I would be happy.

#5 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

well UNC also has a lot of special needs students, so you make a good point.

#6 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

So if it was a secular private school it wouldn't get this much attention, what Christians can't be competitive? Running up the score in college ranks seems to be common place, if a Christian based college runs up the score do they get hounded?

It's ridiculous to focus on the Christian aspect aside from sportsmanship, they didn't follow their organizations "golden rule". That's the problem if any.

The only reason you posted this and the only reason this is news is to try to somehow exploit Christians, not to feel sorry about some dyslexic girls.

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

Yes, that's true. And 100-0 is "competitive" in high school girls basketball?

And "sportsmanship" is not the thing to be put aside here, since from what I've thought, Christians are all about mercy and compassion.

The head of the school is quoted in the article - she certainly does not feel the competitive juices flowing like you do.

#8 Towelboy

Towelboy

day late & a dollar short

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationCatawba, SC

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:47 AM

when i played church ball in middle school, we beat a team 90 something to 20 something. the officials warned us that if we pressed beyond the three point line, we'd get technical fouls. we stopped playing defense and started taking mid range jumpers. we only guarded the paint which only left them wide open three's and long two's.

it wasn't natural to let them score, but we knew they didn't have a chance. they were small and i think they had some girls on their team. i was left wondering, why field at team if you don't have a chance at winning. does the embarassment outweigh the thrill of playing?

#9 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

And "sportsmanship" is not the thing to be put aside here, since from what I've thought, Christians are all about mercy and compassion.

The head of the school is quoted in the article - she certainly does not feel the competitive juices flowing like you do.

I would fire a coach if they lost by 100, not expect the other school to make me the winner because it's the "right" thing to do.

If I was a player on the losing team I would quit if our school took the win that the other school gave me.

#10 Towelboy

Towelboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationCatawba, SC

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

why show up if you can't win? that can't be good for their self-esteem.

#11 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:51 AM

It's not the kids fault that they want to play and win, in your case the officials could do something about it. In this case, it sounds like the High School refs did not have that responsibility. I'd imagine they were amazed that the coach of the winning team did not ask to end the game or request a forfeit. And yes, I am sure that there must have been some girls on the winning team that felt badly about things.

#12 N1kkadeemuz

N1kkadeemuz

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

There you go, confusing what a sport is to faith, the only reason you do this is to point a finger at a Christian and say "ooh you messed up"

I'm sorry I didn't know becoming a Christian made you perfect, flawless, and no longer human, stupid me.

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,773 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

I would fire a coach if they lost by 100, not expect the other school to make me the winner because it's the "right" thing to do.

If I was a player on the losing team I would quit if our school took the win that the other school gave me.

There's 20 girls at the school and they are all messed up. The coach is probably not even all that into basketball. To them it's just a "normal" activity that they have for these girls to choose to do. It's not the freaking Dean Dome.

#14 Towelboy

Towelboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationCatawba, SC

should there be a mercy rule in public or private school sports?

#15 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,479 posts

Tell those bitches to go get some jump shoes, HGH and a mean-spirited lesbian coach to show them how to ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.