Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onward Christian Soldiers

92 posts in this topic

Posted

I do see your point there and with Haggard I felt like they should have done just that and helped him. I also felt like somewhere down the road he should of had someone he trusted in his church to go to if he felt like he was struggling with something, anything.

I dont like hypocrisy either and I am no saint by far, but I dont come in here and condemn people for everything they do that I dont agree with. I dont start threads that judge people and condemn them. Hey if thats what your into then ok, but I feel like the world might be better served in helping people thru there struggles, Christian or not.But thats just me.

Posted

The lack of grace, and mercy within the Christian community is an epic fail. It sucks, and I hate it. But to belittle a belief over what people do as opposed to the one whos path we say we trust and follow isnt right. Dont belittle Christ because of the Christians. Even if you dont believe he is who he said he was at least you can take something away from his teachings.

Posted

I don't care much about whether or not the team involved was Christian or anything else. Those affiliations are mostly meaningless. I joined a Catholic fraternity, and at the time was Lutheran. My family belongs to the YMCA, and the wife and I are de facto atheists (she still claims 'agnostic'.....meh).

My feeling on this issue is pretty simple. The incident is sorta disgusting, since the beatendown school is for special needs kids.

Gimme a break. I know you play whomever is on your schedule, and I'm glad those girls at least get to compete, learn about sports, get physical exercise, etc.

But their coach needs to schedule games against proper opponents, and the other coach should have pulled the starters in the first half, allowed no run-up, and used the opportunity to teach graciousness and mercy. Maybe even worked on new plays. Combinations of players, etc.

It DOES however, seem odd that two of the strongest concepts of Christianity, some of it's BEST attributes, graciousness and mercy (the stuff I give the Church some credit for as it applies to things like charity) were CLEARLY lost on this coach AND his team.

I'm convinced had I been on the team I would have said something to the coach.

I've hated the people that trounce the defenseless since I was a lad.

It SHOULD be understood that when you represent a faith as a school, institution, etc you WILL be held to a certain standard if you strongly profess this standard of morality to the community.

People LOVE pointing out hypocrisy. I know I do.

Case and point right here.

Excellent post.

Posted

The lack of grace, and mercy within the Christian community is an epic fail. It sucks, and I hate it. But to belittle a belief over what people do as opposed to the one whos path we say we trust and follow isnt right. Dont belittle Christ because of the Christians. Even if you dont believe he is who he said he was at least you can take something away from his teachings.

Agree 100%.

And I do find something of value in the teachings of many philosophers, including JC.

I simply reject his divinity, and the churches and leaders that claim to have a monopoly on what is "right".

If you notice, I DID NOT "belittle" anything in my first post.

I simply pointed out to you WHY non-believers can and will use this incident and others like it as fodder in an attempt to show the faithful that they cannot and should not be able to tell people what to do and how to do it, since they are just as likely to screw things up as a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, a Buddhist, or an Atheist.

Being religious does not make anyone more qualified to pass moral judgment, or codify law. Something atheists take VERY srsly.

Again, you have to understand that the religious have been in charge for a long time, telling everyone that they know what is right and how to behave.

It wasn't that long ago that you could get in BIG trouble if you didn't tow the religious line, and if you dared you could get branded a heretic and end up as tinder.

You might laugh and say that is ancient history, but very recent polling puts non-believers right up there with the scumiest of the scum in the eyes of the brainwashed, and the numbers are staggering.

Religion is ingrained in the psyche and culture of this and many other countries, and that makes the non-believers all the more ready to point out the foibles of the majority.

It hasn't really helped, I must admit. :)

Posted

Thanks Epi for making perfectly clear what I thought was.

Of course it is all about the hypocracy. I know Tattoo seems to be more into the "right" reasons to think the way he does, but to see him fly off the handle with accusations that I just enjoy "bashing Christians"...well that may be my fault for not using the word "hypocracy" in my post -

Posted

we should stop keeping score in sports, that way nobody gets their feelings hurt.

Posted

would have worked for me against the Cards.