Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When being prepared for the worst, you can survive almost anything...

49 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm like many of you. I have bag in my truck with all the stuff I need in it. Canned food, bottled water, 380 pistol with 150 rounds....might need to add more.....

trade the can food for meal bars, some thing like mayday or datrex (I prefer the latter). 5 year shelf life and light weight.

Posted

trade the can food for meal bars, some thing like mayday or datrex (I prefer the latter). 5 year shelf life and light weight.

i didn't know that. thanks for the tip friend..

Posted

I'd still have to use cans... since I am so effing allergic to stuff they put in those meal bars...

Again though, cans can last decades beyond their "best by" date... But I get what you are saying from a weight standpoint...

Posted

and when i said i might need to add more.....i meant ammo. :)

Posted

Great ideas guys...

I see a few that I could use/update to my own gear.

I want to extend an offer to everyone who reads this that I've already offered to a few of you. I have some pretty hard-core survival guides that are straight from Brittish SAS and US Marines training manuals as well as some other pretty useful documents. I'm making a weather proof book outta mine by printing and laminating them. I can send these to anyone who wants them...just PM me.

Wilderness survival:

..........................Medicine

..........................Shelter Types

..........................Survival Techniques and Tips

..........................Guide to Outdoor Living & Wilderness Survival

Native American Health Recipes (cookbook)

Winter Survival

Medicinal Plants

Special Forces Survival Guides and CQC

Army Cold-weather Survival Guide

Also, if you need food of every type for survival, I recommend this place to start out.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Survival-Disaster-C1934.aspx

Posted

you also have to treat this type stuff much like a confined space issue. they teach you for SCBA and confined space entry emergency stuff to make sure YOU are prepped and ready to go BEFORE you go help a person down in a plant.

same can be applied here. sure some look at this thread and chuckle and shuffle on but those same folks are gonna be begging to find many of us for help.

there wont be a huddle pm working or the snazzy iphone and all it's apps wont call.

at the end of the day it will be hands and feet kinda stuff. when it gets to the brass tacks you better know how to handle yourself and keep moving.

but aside from that i just want to throw this out there. being a contrarian helps. get your gear and junk together but even the most prepared of us has to keep their wits and think differently than anybody else.

you can hole up for a good 6 months to a year but after that, it's gut check time. self reliance goes to uber levels.

but a word of caution. you might survive but its dealing with others who have also stuck around that you will have to out fox to make it.

natural resources, much like we have seen in Mad Max type movies will be crucial. so you might have to do a move to obscurity and hiding THEN back towards the ocean.

in some ways, you hope there is no grid because that adds to your cover.

yeah yeah, crackpot tinfoil hat stuff. but chance favors the prepared man....

Posted

Great ideas guys...

I see a few that I could use/update to my own gear.

I want to extend an offer to everyone who reads this that I've already offered to a few of you. I have some pretty hard-core survival guides that are straight from Brittish SAS and US Marines training manuals as well as some other pretty useful documents. I'm making a weather proof book outta mine by printing and laminating them. I can send these to anyone who wants them...just PM me.

Wilderness survival:

..........................Medicine

..........................Shelter Types

..........................Survival Techniques and Tips

..........................Guide to Outdoor Living & Wilderness Survival

Native American Health Recipes (cookbook)

Winter Survival

Medicinal Plants

Special Forces Survival Guides and CQC

Army Cold-weather Survival Guide

Also, if you need food of every type for survival, I recommend this place to start out.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Survival-Disaster-C1934.aspx

Alot of good info. I lived the Cold weather survival guide. Alot of basics stuff but interesting stuff too.

Posted

Excellent tips!

Only things I can think to add are don't forget to hit the range at least a few times a year to keep your weapons familiar & to use your older ammo. (yea, its not gonna go bad in that time but if you get the rare bad batch its better to find out while shooting at paper.)

Also learning how to smoke & cure meat is a good idea. Oh! if you have the land, learn how to farm! (not grow a garden, FARM.)

If you have the space, a few 200 gallon water tanks with one as a filter, (my FiL has 8 in his garage) that stay filled at all times due to the flow between the main source & the tap, & can be cut off from the main source in seconds is a lot of fresh water.

Posted

How many of you survivalists have at least three months salary in a savings account in case you somehow can't work?

Posted

del at one point i had 9. when i left Wachovia it went much faster than you think. i think folks need to get to at least a years worth of savings and right now that's very hard, but possible, to do.

Posted

It is probably no surprise to most here that I am somewhat of a "prepper" or a "survivalist," in that I try to be prepared for any situation that may happen...

tin-foil-hat.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

How many of you survivalists have at least three months salary in a savings account in case you somehow can't work?

Would be better in cash, banks will be closed when the EMP/Nukes/Aliens/Zombies attack.:spam: