Photo
- - - - -

When being prepared for the worst, you can survive almost anything...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Claws

Claws

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

and when i said i might need to add more.....i meant ammo. :)

#17 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:03 PM

Great ideas guys...

I see a few that I could use/update to my own gear.

I want to extend an offer to everyone who reads this that I've already offered to a few of you. I have some pretty hard-core survival guides that are straight from Brittish SAS and US Marines training manuals as well as some other pretty useful documents. I'm making a weather proof book outta mine by printing and laminating them. I can send these to anyone who wants them...just PM me.

Wilderness survival:
..........................Medicine
..........................Shelter Types
..........................Survival Techniques and Tips
..........................Guide to Outdoor Living & Wilderness Survival
Native American Health Recipes (cookbook)
Winter Survival
Medicinal Plants
Special Forces Survival Guides and CQC
Army Cold-weather Survival Guide

Also, if you need food of every type for survival, I recommend this place to start out.

http://www.majorsurp...ster-C1934.aspx

#18 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,296 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

you also have to treat this type stuff much like a confined space issue. they teach you for SCBA and confined space entry emergency stuff to make sure YOU are prepped and ready to go BEFORE you go help a person down in a plant.
same can be applied here. sure some look at this thread and chuckle and shuffle on but those same folks are gonna be begging to find many of us for help.
there wont be a huddle pm working or the snazzy iphone and all it's apps wont call.
at the end of the day it will be hands and feet kinda stuff. when it gets to the brass tacks you better know how to handle yourself and keep moving.

but aside from that i just want to throw this out there. being a contrarian helps. get your gear and junk together but even the most prepared of us has to keep their wits and think differently than anybody else.
you can hole up for a good 6 months to a year but after that, it's gut check time. self reliance goes to uber levels.
but a word of caution. you might survive but its dealing with others who have also stuck around that you will have to out fox to make it.
natural resources, much like we have seen in Mad Max type movies will be crucial. so you might have to do a move to obscurity and hiding THEN back towards the ocean.

in some ways, you hope there is no grid because that adds to your cover.
yeah yeah, crackpot tinfoil hat stuff. but chance favors the prepared man....

#19 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

Great ideas guys...

I see a few that I could use/update to my own gear.

I want to extend an offer to everyone who reads this that I've already offered to a few of you. I have some pretty hard-core survival guides that are straight from Brittish SAS and US Marines training manuals as well as some other pretty useful documents. I'm making a weather proof book outta mine by printing and laminating them. I can send these to anyone who wants them...just PM me.

Wilderness survival:
..........................Medicine
..........................Shelter Types
..........................Survival Techniques and Tips
..........................Guide to Outdoor Living & Wilderness Survival
Native American Health Recipes (cookbook)
Winter Survival
Medicinal Plants
Special Forces Survival Guides and CQC
Army Cold-weather Survival Guide

Also, if you need food of every type for survival, I recommend this place to start out.

http://www.majorsurp...ster-C1934.aspx

Alot of good info. I lived the Cold weather survival guide. Alot of basics stuff but interesting stuff too.

#20 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:33 AM

Excellent tips!

Only things I can think to add are don't forget to hit the range at least a few times a year to keep your weapons familiar & to use your older ammo. (yea, its not gonna go bad in that time but if you get the rare bad batch its better to find out while shooting at paper.)

Also learning how to smoke & cure meat is a good idea. Oh! if you have the land, learn how to farm! (not grow a garden, FARM.)

If you have the space, a few 200 gallon water tanks with one as a filter, (my FiL has 8 in his garage) that stay filled at all times due to the flow between the main source & the tap, & can be cut off from the main source in seconds is a lot of fresh water.

Edited by BBQ&Beer, 20 November 2010 - 12:39 AM.

#21 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,439 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

How many of you survivalists have at least three months salary in a savings account in case you somehow can't work?

#22 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,296 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:54 AM

del at one point i had 9. when i left Wachovia it went much faster than you think. i think folks need to get to at least a years worth of savings and right now that's very hard, but possible, to do.

#23 CatsMeow

CatsMeow

Sweet Soul Sister

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

It is probably no surprise to most here that I am somewhat of a "prepper" or a "survivalist," in that I try to be prepared for any situation that may happen...

Posted Image

#24 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

How many of you survivalists have at least three months salary in a savings account in case you somehow can't work?

Would be better in cash, banks will be closed when the EMP/Nukes/Aliens/Zombies attack.:spam:

#25 robtrox0

robtrox0

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

I collect bottlecaps

#26 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

3 years salary in a savings account. (most of it from when my parents died) 4 months worth in cash hidden @ home. (Most of it is in change... because my dad had one last joke to play... one last joke... $30k in change... )

Edited by BBQ&Beer, 20 November 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#27 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,405 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

me!

It started burning a hole in my pocket about a year or two ago. 2 new cars, ridiculous home theater system, etc... But I regained control of myself. Whew.

#28 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,405 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

3 years salary in a savings account. (most of it from when my parents died) 4 months worth in cash hidden @ home. (Most of it is in change... because my dad had one last joke to play... one last joke... $30k in change... )

$30k is 4 months worth of cash to you? wtf?

#29 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

$30k is 4 months worth of cash to you? wtf?

My wife and I together.

#30 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:35 AM

LOL @ $

My currency is made with gunpowder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.