Photo
- - - - -

Has an "artists" political views ever caused you to boycott them?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

A friend of mine is a pretty conservative guy, straight down the line on just about every issue. We got talking about movies one day and he started going off about this and that. I think the movie was Carlito's Way, and I was just saying how I liked it, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, this guy couldn't get past the fact that Sean Penn was in it. He hated the movie and wouldn't watch it anymore because of Sean Penn. For the record, this guy didn't use to be as wacky as he is now about this sort of thing...and if my memory serves me correctly he used to like Carlito's Way.

And now with Obama getting into office with all these high profile celebrities supporting him, it's making matters worse for this guy. Pretty soon he's not going to be able to listen to a CD or watch a fuging movie.

So I was wondering if there were any more people out there like this guy. Did you used to be a fan of somebody and now refuse to watch or listen to anything having to do with them?

#2 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,599 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

There is a SOuth American artist who starves dogs as part of his concept of "art" Pretty friggin brutal

I would imagine it;d be less annoying now that celebs have someone in office who they arent going to complain about. I wonder what punk bands are going to focus on next...

#3 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

There is a SOuth American artist who starves dogs as part of his concept of "art" Pretty friggin brutal.

Any relation to Michael Vick?

#4 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:47 PM

When I found out Clay Aiken was gay, I burned all his cd's in my back yard.

#5 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

As you should have. He could have been so much better if he weren't gay.

#6 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

i don't really have this problem because there are no good conservative artists (be it music or movies or what-have-you). people with creative talent plus the drive to make it are liberal.

#7 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,806 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

Bill Klemski. He has been a Grip in over 74 films.
His association with the communist party and his perpetual wearing of the lameo Che t-shirt has kept me from watching at least 40 of the greatest films of all time.

#8 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

George Jetson

#9 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

i don't really have this problem because there are no good conservative artists (be it music or movies or what-have-you). people with creative talent plus the drive to make it are liberal.

Mel Gibson? Kid Rock (not totally conservative but does hold a lot of political views that are contrary to liberals)

Edited by stankowalski, 23 January 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#10 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,440 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

I always thought it was the people that bought Clay Aiken CD's that were gay. I might need to rethink this one.

#11 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,599 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

Mel Gibson? Kid Rock (not totally conservative but does hold a lot of political views that are contrary to liberals)

That backs up rodeo's point more than ever lol

Guy samples more music than Puffy Daddy

#12 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,514 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

Mel Gibson's not conservative. He just hates jews, minorities and has a narrow, inflexible, historically inacurate view of Christianity.

Ok maybe I should have thought that through.

Apocolypto was good.

#13 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

That backs up rodeo's point more than ever lol

Guy samples more music than Puffy Daddy

All rappers are pretty much rip offs, but if that dillweed Jay Z is considered to be an artist than so to is Kid Rock.

#14 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,496 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

I boycott Pauly Shore movies because I hate his political views (whatever they are).

Matt LeBlanc once got asked his view of the Iraq war by some news organization. I liked his answer. He essentially said, "I'm in favor if it, but what the hell are you asking me for? I'm a freaking actor."

#15 -Painted Fan-

-Painted Fan-

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:46 PM

I've seen so many over the past several years:
the Dixie Chicks
Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon
Oprah
Bono from U2
the list goes on.

I wouldn't say I choose to boycott these because of their views. If they're a good singer or actor, I would probably still listen to their music or watch their movies. I do, however, wonder why they think they're political experts just because they're celebrities and in the public eye.
Bono (from Dublin, Ireland) can't even vote in an American election, but yet he's an outspoken advocate of the Democratic Party.
I've seen some pro athletes get involved in this, also.

This goes for ALL parties (not just the Dems, as I've listed above). There's some real nuts in all walks of life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.