Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has an "artists" political views ever caused you to boycott them?

75 posts in this topic

Posted

david duke may be a "nice man," too, that doesn't make him less of a bigot. reggie white destroyed lives and preached hatred and was the same class of person.

Posted

he was a bigot and a stain on the history of the nfl.

If I was going into battle I'd take Reggie White over you any day. No offense. He was a great guy. So his opinions weren't up to the PC code. fug the PC code.

Posted

david duke may be a "nice man," too, that doesn't make him less of a bigot. reggie white destroyed lives and preached hatred and was the same class of person.

David Duke was a Klan wizard, or whatever you call them. Don't even make that comparison. I met Reggie White. He was a class act.

This gets to the root of the problem in this thread. Reggie White is an athlete. They asked him to speak in front of a crowd of people. Why?

Why are we shunning real preachers and real heroes in our community and paying so much attention to athletes and celebrities. If I want to know about the homeless, I'm going to ask Tattoorhino, not Steve Smith.

You would be very disappointed if you spent five minutes in an NFL locker room, Rodeo. Homophobia runs rampant, for one. Black guys make fun of white guys, and vice versa. Guys make fun of other guys over women. But you know what? It makes most of them closer. It's not like the ninnies on this board who get some kind of self worth out of calling other people bigots and racists. People they've never met.

Posted

Reggie White was a villain in the homosexual community. He took a hard line fire and brimstone fundamentalist christian approach to them very vocally.

Posted

To the original question, no, personal opinions or beliefs have not effected my view on an artist. Of course, being liberal minded, I don't have to worry about it 99% of the time.

Posted

he was a bigot and a stain on the history of the nfl.

He actually was a Christian who in a not so loving way had the stones to tell the world the truth.

Also why is it always said that homophobia runs rampant amongst Christians, i'm not at all a fearer of gays, I do not have nightmares of gays breeding in my rickety old barn and destroying my town, and then me and John Goodman have to go kill the queen.

Posted

He actually was a Christian who in a not so loving way had the stones to tell the world his version of the truth.

fixed

Posted

There are a few that I will not watch...And mostly it has to do with the point Delhommey made about their work becoming boring and unwatchable. But, mostly, I enjoy watching them make asses of themselves because they are such followers. They toe the line because HOLLYWOOD is their workplace and they have no real concept of the issues they trump.

My biggest problem is that they won't appear anywhere and defend their positions. Dennis Miller (conservative) has no problem defending and debating his. They also seem to verbally attack those who differ in opinion (mean-spirited and vitriolic) from them, and it makes them look like complete hypocrits.

Posted

There are a few that I will not watch...And mostly it has to do with the point Delhommey made about their work becoming boring and unwatchable. But, mostly, I enjoy watching them make asses of themselves because they are such followers. They toe the line because HOLLYWOOD is their workplace and they have no real concept of the issues they trump.

My biggest problem is that they won't appear anywhere and defend their positions. Dennis Miller (conservative) has no problem defending and debating his. They also seem to verbally attack those who differ in opinion (mean-spirited and vitriolic) from them, and it makes them look like complete hypocrits.

They ARE complete hypocrites. Bitching about corporate businessmen using private jets, then getting on one themselves as they go to some island in the Caribbean for vacation.

Posted

stalker

Posted

Delhommey touched on this a couple of pages ago when he said as an artist becomes more vocal in their political views, the quality of their work decreases. That's the part I care about. The quality of the work. The ones that truly bug me are the ones that allow their political views and their personal moral code creep into their work. Stephen King is a good example for me. As he got older, more political and more religious (and more publicly expresive of same), the quality of his work suffered. The man is a great teller of horrific tales, but when he allowed (in his case he had to develop them first) his views to seep into his writing, the quality went down the toilet IMO. In the case of a writer it's next to impossible to separate the two worlds (write about what you know), and I don't begrudge him growing into a better human being. I don't buy any of his new stuff though. It's a shadow of what it was.

Another example. I'm pro gun. James Garner isn't. James Garner starred in a bunch of films waving a gun around, etc etc. His anti-gun political views never crept into his work as an actor. That I respect, even if I hold a different opinion than him on the issue.

Posted

Delhommey touched on this a couple of pages ago when he said as an artist becomes more vocal in their political views, the quality of their work decreases. That's the part I care about. The quality of the work. The ones that truly bug me are the ones that allow their political views and their personal moral code creep into their work. Stephen King is a good example for me. As he got older, more political and more religious (and more publicly expresive of same), the quality of his work suffered. The man is a great teller of horrific tales, but when he allowed (in his case he had to develop them first) his views to seep into his writing, the quality went down the toilet IMO. In the case of a writer it's next to impossible to separate the two worlds (write about what you know), and I don't begrudge him growing into a better human being. I don't buy any of his new stuff though. It's a shadow of what it was.

Another example. I'm pro gun. James Garner isn't. James Garner starred in a bunch of films waving a gun around, etc etc. His anti-gun political views never crept into his work as an actor. That I respect, even if I hold a different opinion than him on the issue.[/QUO

Good example...That's kinda my take on it, too...I really don't care what they believe as long as it doesn't become a major talking point for them in everything they do.