Photo
- - - - -

Has an "artists" political views ever caused you to boycott them?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#16 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:49 PM

Yes. I do have the choice to not give an individual or company my money for any reason. Right?

#17 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:52 PM

Yes. I do have the choice to not give an individual or company my money for any reason. Right?

Yeah, I get that. But it just seems absurd to me. I mean Sean Penn may be a douchebag...and for the record I think he is...but I'm not going to stop watching his movies because of that. I think he's a fantastic actor. So what if he's a nutcase?

#18 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

Yeah, I get that. But it just seems absurd to me. I mean Sean Penn may be a douchebag...and for the record I think he is...but I'm not going to stop watching his movies because of that. I think he's a fantastic actor. So what if he's a nutcase?

Got Milk?

#19 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:19 PM

Got Milk?

I actually haven't seen that because he plays a gay character and we all know that gay people are bad for society.

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,387 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:43 PM

Bono annoys me not because of his views, but because people talk about him like he deserves the Nobel Peace Price just because he's "outspoken" about causes.

Jeez, he's a frigging singer who makes a load of money and lives the "rock star" lifestyle. So what if he occasionally talks up causes or spends a day getting his picture taken doing "relief work".

There are people who have devoted their entire lives to helping the disadvantaged who will never see so much as a news article about them, much less an award. Yet people act like a rock singer is a great humanitarian who should be consulted for policy ideas.

People thought USA for Africa was something special too, and it was a nice gesture, but it was still essentially singers...singing. That's no more deserving of special recognition than a rich guy writing a big check to his favorite charity.

Sheesh :rolleyes:

#21 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

I've seen so many over the past several years:
the Dixie Chicks
Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon
Oprah
Bono from U2
the list goes on.

I wouldn't say I choose to boycott these because of their views. If they're a good singer or actor, I would probably still listen to their music or watch their movies. I do, however, wonder why they think they're political experts just because they're celebrities and in the public eye.
Bono (from Dublin, Ireland) can't even vote in an American election, but yet he's an outspoken advocate of the Democratic Party.
I've seen some pro athletes get involved in this, also.

This goes for ALL parties (not just the Dems, as I've listed above). There's some real nuts in all walks of life.

a nice thing about america is that no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you think, you're allowed to tell every person you meet your opinions. you don't have to be a 'qualified' political expert to have an opinion on something, we sure aren't here in the tinderbox.

i'll never get why people begrudge other folks doing that just because they're famous.

being famous doesn't mean you're not allowed to share your opinion. if you've got a platform and something you care about, shout it as loud as you can.

i notice you listed all liberals. if your real problem is their views, man up and say that. don't pretend you disagree with all famous people sharing opinions.

#22 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:58 PM

Rodeo, I think the problem some people have is that their opinions (the artists) shouldn't be worth any more than the average persons. But they do hold some sway over their audience and have the ability to shape others' opinions, especially if the others are young people.

Personally I don't care what an artists' thoughts are on the political process.

#23 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:07 AM

Usually when an artist starts to feel like they should share their beliefs their work starts to become tired and boring, so it might not be a bad idea to stop watching them at that point.

#24 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 4,801 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:07 AM

Eh, I love Ted Nugent, 3 Doors Down, etc, they are total republican but I still jam to their stuff. Most bands don't have a political message in their songs, and if a song has something you don't like, yet you like all the other songs, just skip it.

#25 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,387 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

a nice thing about america is that no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you think, you're allowed to tell every person you meet your opinions. you don't have to be a 'qualified' political expert to have an opinion on something, we sure aren't here in the tinderbox.

i'll never get why people begrudge other folks doing that just because they're famous.

being famous doesn't mean you're not allowed to share your opinion. if you've got a platform and something you care about, shout it as loud as you can.

i notice you listed all liberals. if your real problem is their views, man up and say that. don't pretend you disagree with all famous people sharing opinions.

I have no problem with famous people voicing their opinion (though as a rule, a significant portion of them are idiots) but I'm bugged when they whine about getting a backlash as if the people who dislike them are "restricting their free speech".

People who are consumers of their "product" have every right to express their opinion of celebrities and their ideas, whether it's verbally or by using their wallet.

Likewise, when people lose jobs because they're controversial, that's not an abridgement of anyone's speech either. You're only guaranteed the freedom to speak, not a platform with which to do it.

In short, the constitution offers plenty of protection against the silencing of your ideas. It offers no protection whatsoever against the people who hear your speech thinking that you're an ignorant twit.

#26 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

I have no problem with famous people voicing their opinion (though as a rule, a significant portion of them are idiots) but I'm bugged when they whine about getting a backlash as if the people who dislike them are "restricting their free speech".

People who are consumers of their "product" have every right to express their opinion of celebrities and their ideas, whether it's verbally or by using their wallet.

Likewise, when people lose jobs because they're controversial, that's not an abridgement of anyone's speech either. You're only guaranteed the freedom to speak, not a platform with which to do it.

In short, the constitution offers plenty of protection against the silencing of your ideas. It offers no protection whatsoever against the people who hear your speech thinking that you're an ignorant twit.

So take that, Fat Dixie Chick. :D

#27 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

I can't express my true feelings when I am at work and in front of people because I would be fired.

The same could go for Musicians who express their opinions in lyrics, and print.

Also for actors who in front of the camera express their concerns.

That is their job, and I don't begrudge anyone for "firing" them.

#28 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

i agree that when you're doing it in the context of your job, you deserve what you get. that's why i think reggie white is a POS for putting on his nfl jersey and pretending he was the official bigot of the nfl. when you're representing an organization your freedoms are limited to what the organization allows or not.

but a famous person outside the context of their company or work should have the same freedom you do to discuss their politics.

#29 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

Reggie White was not a bigot. He was a nice man. A very nice man.

#30 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

Kid Rock

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.