Photo
- - - - -

Lockout 2011: Another Step Closer to Reality

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#76 Skew

Skew

GOLD PREMIUM MEMBER

Moderators

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

Posted Image

Yes, because elemental-sayings-quotes.com knows more about accounting than GAAP.

:rolleyes:

Wow!

#77 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Nov. 15 (Bloomberg) -- Lowe's Cos., the second-largest U.S. home-improvement retailer, said third-quarter profit increased 17 percent after it controlled labor and other expenses in the housing slump.

This is the company I work for. 3rd quarter profit increased because the company fired a bunch of employees and replaced them with seasonal employees who are not entitled to any benefits from the company. While labor may technically be an expense, most progressive companies and those companies who are of the mindset they will not be successful without a quality workplace see labor as an expense not to be screwed with.

I am curious why you believe that the actions of Lowe's and its employees are at all analogous to the current situation in the NFL.

#78 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

Banned

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

As evidenced by the successes of the Cowboys and Redskins, limitless money = guaranteed success

That was/is with a cap. Without a cap handcuffing the big money owners it would be a very different story.

#79 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:23 PM

That was/is with a cap. Without a cap handcuffing the big money owners it would be a very different story.

The Redskins cap number this year is 196 million dollars.

lol just lol

it's on this guy's twitter who is a beat writer/capologist for the team and is actually a really good person to follow just for nfl stuff

http://twitter.com/#!/SalaryCap101

Edited by Fiz, 23 November 2010 - 08:26 PM.

#80 Lumps

Lumps

Jase is butthurt

HUDDLER

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:57 PM

18 months baaha try 3 years

#81 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

I read all 8 pages and now I want to punch a hole in my wall. I agree with what Fiz is trying to say, but his posts just come across as pretentious and condescending.
This labor dispute is like talking politics or religion, both sides can have well articulated arguments and very valid points, but neither will concede to the others' "truth"...
Get off your pedestal and untie that knot in your panties.
Take a deep breath and enjoy life, the NFLPA isn't going to help you out with your impending stroke.

#82 jayflip

jayflip

vaya con dios

SUPPORTER

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

Also, Fiz, I dig your avatar! (not sarcasm)

#83 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

I Don't Want To Get Off On A Rant Here But....

HUDDLER

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

i would add in to this that the players of the NFL take a bigger beating on their body than any other professional team sport. the studies that are coming out about the long term effects of the hits they take means that they are likely going to have a long lifetime of health problems...and we're not just talking stiff back. we're talking parkinsons disease and early onset dementia. the NFL is acting like they are concerned, and i don't doubt that they are, but the owners are saying that even though they understand more the risks involved to the players, that they want them to play two more games.

the players don't like it, but they are willing to do it, if the owners will do more to help prepare the players for the health problems they are most certainly going to be dealing with and to help out those players who can't find work after their short careers are over.

these aren't a bunch of millionaires either. there are a few players that are able to make a substantial amount of money, but the majority of them don't. sure, it's more than the average american makes in a year, but what are these guys going to do afterwards? they won't be able to take on manual labor jobs for very long beacuse their bodies will probably be shot. when you have brain injuries that show up when you are in your early 40s....what exactly are you going to do? also, all of that comes with a huge medical expense attached. how in the world are you going to pay for the kind of care that you will be needing? they are already going to be having high insurance, and which company is willing to take on that kind of risk? you know how hard it is to find insurance if you have pre-existing conditions?

plus, these are kids, a lot of them dumb kids (like most people in their very early 20's are) who are given huge amounts of money....more money than they or anyone in their family has every seen. the temptation is there to blow it all, not jsut on themselves, but their families. they feel like all of a sudden their families won't have to worry about money anymore. before long, it's all gone. that's their fault, for sure, but the league needs to be doing more to prepare them for life after the NFL, and thats one of the thing that the players want. i don't think thats too much to ask.

Fug 'em. They're roided out gladiators put on the field for my amusement.
Now get out their and perform.

Edited by Kevin Greene, 24 November 2010 - 12:54 AM.

#84 Skew

Skew

GOLD PREMIUM MEMBER

Moderators

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:57 PM

I read all 8 pages and now I want to punch a hole in my wall. I agree with what Fiz is trying to say, but his posts just come across as pretentious and condescending.

Especially if you disagree with his opinion (which he confuses with fact).