#167 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,375 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

I don't know that Luck, or Harbaugh for that matter, would be smart moves for us...

If so, you might as well get rid of Hurney for drafting Clausen... I don't want to go into a season with Clausen and Luck (or another rookie QB for that matter) fighting it out... The loser of that battle will pretty much be seen as a busted pick, and will carry little to zero trade value...

The smart thing to do would be fix the parts around our QB that are more broken... Start with the OL, maybe get another WR who is a solid #1 (there are a few in this draft)... Get our backs healthy... Get rid of Davidson... Then give Clausen the reigns and tell him that there are no excuses... Bring in a veteran as an insurance policy to at least keep us respectable if Clausen sinks...

Also, we need to get some LB depth and a solid DT...

Fix the bad play calling and the lack of protection, and the offense looks exponentially better... Patch the defense up a little and keep them hungry, and we'll be back in contention... regardless of who the QB is... If we can win games with Jake Delhomme as the QB, we can win them with anyone...

No way that you pass on a QB prospect the calibre of Andrew Luck and go into the season with Clausen.

Clausen looks completely lost behind center. He just looks terrible....all he does is check down to a RB. He looks GOD AWFUL.

A franchise who has NEVER had an elite QB has the chance to pick one...and you want to build your team aroudn Jimmy "Check Down" Clausen? No thanks.

#168 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,375 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

I just started reading this thread, but I don't need to read any further as this is the thread-ender. Spot on, SLJ. It is the Patriots modus operandi and it is showing to be the winning way.

That being said, if Harbaugh is on board, you have to believe that he'd want to get his guy.

The Patriots are in a position to do that....because they already have a franchise QB.

If Clausen had shown me anything as a starting QB, I would be for this strategy. As it stands, Clausen looks less like a starting QB than Hunter Cantwell did.

#169 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

I just started reading this thread, but I don't need to read any further as this is the thread-ender. Spot on, SLJ. It is the Patriots modus operandi and it is showing to be the winning way.

That being said, if Harbaugh is on board, you have to believe that he'd want to get his guy.

There is one HUGE flaw in this scenario

Tom Brady vs. Jimmy Clausen

If we have Tom Brady then you are able to make trades b/c he is going to work with whatever he's got. Hell...the guy is throwing for 300 yards with two TEs and Brandon Tate as his main deep threats. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that David Gettis, Brandon LaFell, and Steve Smith are as good as what Brady has to work with yet he is still phenomenal.

If you think that you can build a team with role players (everyone outside of the QB) and not have the impact guy (the QB) then you are building a losing team. He is the only player on the field that impacts every single play that he is out there. It starts before the ball is even snapped and he has to audible to a different play or call out the defense of the other team. That position is BY FAR the most important position in all of sports and some of you want to trade away a chance at getting one of the most talented prospects in recent memory for some depth at cornerback and defensive line. You can hope and pray for it all you want to...it aint happening. IF we have the #1 pick and Luck has declared he will be in a Panthers uniform. IF he's not it will be because we traded him for a ridiculous amount of value due to him refusing to be in Charlotte.

However...If we get Harbaugh (which we better thrown the bank at him) then you fix any worries about Luck not coming to Carolina.

#170 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Colin Cowherd knows squat. whats his track record on predictions?

#171 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,375 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

lol he's a damn rookie on a crappy team, bro... Plus, Smitty is basically our leader right now, and how is a rookie supposed to come in and lead someone with Smitty's ego?

Clausen has all the tools, but our inept front office and personnel have not given him the ability to use them...

Colt McCoy...rookie on a crappy team, but looks like a legit QB
Bradford....rookie on a crappy team, but looks like a legit QB
Ryan...was a rookie on a crappy team, but made the plays that great QB's do

Clausen...rookie on a crappy team, but looks like he has never played QB before.

clausen has no leadership skills (was questioned by everyone)...cannot go through his progressions....plays scared in the pocket....can do NOTHING but check down to a RB after 1-2 seconds.

Sorry, but that is not the future QB of a successful franchise.

Every other team saw it last year (and passed on him TWICE during the draft)....we have just figured out what the rest of the coaching and scouting staffs already knew....that Clausen IS NOT an elite (or even above avg) QB prospect.

#172 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,730 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

blind squirrels...

#173 GreatPoupon

GreatPoupon

pardon me

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

i dont agree with the logic that adding another QB ruins trade value for the backup.

1. clausen is young and COULD develop into a solid player (whether backup or starter)
2. keeping him around might ruin his trade value if he stinks - in which case adding another Rook would be smart
3. losing playing time to a great player doesn't hurt the player's value behind him on the depth chart if that back up is a good player. (matt schaub, kolb, rodgers)
and...
4. what better way to ensure you've got a solid player at a position is there than to add competition?

the main reason clausen's value would deminish would be if he stinks while he's playing.

#174 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

Ryan's "crappy team" went 11-5 into the playoffs
Bradford's "crappy team" is competitive week to week and is still in the playoff hunt. his coach isn't a lame duck, and the staff around him is competent.

Colt McCoy " " not to mention they beat the SB champs and the Patriots.

Edited by Dpantherman, 01 December 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#175 Jbro

Jbro

BBW GFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:45 PM

Pretty damn good

#176 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,730 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

i dont agree with the logic that adding another QB ruins trade value for the backup.

1. clausen is young and COULD develop into a solid player (whether backup or starter)
2. keeping him around might ruin his trade value if he stinks - in which case adding another Rook would be smart
3. losing playing time to a great player doesn't hurt the player's value behind him on the depth chart if that back up is a good player. (matt schaub, kolb, rodgers)
and...
4. what better way to ensure you've got a solid player at a position is there than to add competition?

the main reason clausen's value would deminish would be if he stinks while he's playing.

there are a whole lot of teams that are going to be looking for an upgrade at QB this coming year. the demand is going to be pretty high which makes me think that some teams would be willing to pay a pretty penny for clausen based on potential and "no QB could do well with that team".

#177 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Pretty damn good

excuse me i didn't know...care to fill me in? :D

#178 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,375 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

Ryan's "crappy team" went 11-5 into the playoffs
Bradford's "crappy team" is competitive week to week and is still in the playoff hunt. his coach isn't a lame duck, and the staff around him is competent.

Colt McCoy " " not to mention they beat the SB champs and the Patriots.

Maybe these rookie QB's are good enough to make a crappy team decent.

Clausen is bad enough to make a crappy team look even crappier.

Every one of the teams that you talk about were GOD AWFUL before they drafted their QB. All of them are making plays and making their teams better.

Clausen is just finding new ways to look even more pitiful.

#179 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

ive said it before, and ill say it again. how anyone can single anyone out on this horrible team is beyond me. When you go into the season with a coach that doesn't give a poo, you're team is set up for failure to being with. ZERO history of success with rookie QBs. ZERO. What's new??

#180 GreatPoupon

GreatPoupon

pardon me

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:54 PM

there are a whole lot of teams that are going to be looking for an upgrade at QB this coming year. the demand is going to be pretty high which makes me think that some teams would be willing to pay a pretty penny for clausen based on potential and "no QB could do well with that team".

sure, and why not, there arent a plethora of promising young QB's out there.

i also agree with something you've said previously: try and move him to get into the 2nd round with a later pick package.
but even if you couldnt do this and had to keep jimmy on the roster, i'd be alright with drafting another rookie QB... odds are at least improved that one pick would pan out. and if they are both good, then that's a nice little problem to have. in this case you'd have some serious trade ammo to bolster some other positions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.