24 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,605 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich and his Chief of Staff, John Harris, were arrested today by FBI agents on federal corruption charges alleging that they and others are engaging in ongoing criminal activity: conspiring to obtain personal financial benefits for Blagojevich by leveraging his sole authority to appoint a United States Senator; threatening to withhold substantial state assistance to the Tribune Company in connection with the sale of Wrigley Field to induce the firing of Chicago Tribune editorial board members sharply critical of Blagojevich; and to obtain campaign contributions in exchange for official actions – both historically and now in a push before a new state ethics law takes effect January 1, 2009.

Blagojevich, 51, and Harris, 46, both of Chicago, were each charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and solicitation of bribery. They were charged in a two-count criminal complaint that was sworn out on Sunday and unsealed today following their arrests, which occurred without incident, announced Patrick J. Fitzgerald, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, and Robert D. Grant, Special Agent-in-Charge of the Chicago Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Both men were expected to appear later today before U.S. Magistrate Judge Nan Nolan in U.S. District Court in Chicago.

http://cbs2chicago.c...d.2.883170.html

I'm just grateful Obama has nothing to do with these kind of politics.

#2 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

Only the timing came as a surprise to us locals.

Sad thing is, the Republicans were swept out of office for being dirty, as former gov George Ryan rots in jail this very day.

Business as usual in the People's Republic of Illinois.

Good to know our 10.25 tax rate is being put to good use....and the state is still almost bankrupt.

#3 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,045 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

http://cbs2chicago.c...d.2.883170.html

I'm just grateful Obama has nothing to do with these kind of politics.

;)

#4 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

Only the timing came as a surprise to us locals.

Sad thing is, the Republicans were swept out of office for being dirty, as former gov George Ryan rots in jail this very day.

Business as usual in the People's Republic of Illinois.

Good to know our 10.25 tax rate is being put to good use....and the state is still almost bankrupt.

WOW! 10.25? They can never have enough money...If they had 90.25, they'd still be broke.

#5 Bobby

Bobby

Czar of Czars

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

If you arrest all the corrupt politicians in this country you'll end up with a Libertarian government and a Green opposition. Truth.

#6 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

If you arrest all the corrupt politicians in this country you'll end up with a Libertarian government and a Green opposition. Truth.

For the first 5 months or so.

#7 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

Yes, but Blago is taking this to a whole new level.

Blatant disregard for the law.

And from what I'm hearing, this is just the beginning.
This was done to block him from appointing a serious douchebag, corrupt, in his pocket type to Obama's senate seat.

So in other words, MUCH more to come.
And again, no surprise to anyone here.

If the Republican party wasn't essentially dead here, he never would have been governor.

#8 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,929 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

Lock him up and throw away the key.

#9 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

He'll be joining like 4 former IL govs in the slammer.

It really sickens, but we are almost used to it, which is pretty pathetic.

#10 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,493 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

Posted Image

He should go to jail for those Bama bangs.

ZING!

#11 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,920 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

Some things just don't change in Illinois. ;)

#12 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

For the first 5 months or so.

Agreed

#13 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,493 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

The more stuff that comes out, the more this guy seems like a colossal scumbag...

#14 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

You have NO idea.

Well, you along with the rest of the nation soon will, but the wild thing is, he was SO out in the open about his sleaziness that EVERYBODY here knew it.

It has me thinking, along with a lot of other people, that he was completely delusional about what he was doing.
As if it was no big deal.

In some of the tapes he talks about being the next big thing out of Illinois' Democratic party, gonna make a run at the Presidency in 2016 or somesuch.

Everybody here was thinking "yeah, right, with your 26% approval rating in your home state....please"

Sadly, the ® couldn't beat him last time around because the garbage they ran against him was perceived as WORSE than him.

We need a housecleaning of epic proportions.

#15 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,493 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

They were discussing it a bit this morning on Scarborough (I refuse to call that show "Morning Joe"), and it sounds like everyone knew since as far back as '02 that this cat was shady as hell. Some people, including Axelrod IIRC, refused to even take pictures with him on the stump trail for fear of association. And 26% sounds high. I thought it was in the teens?

Either way, traveling from Chicago to Springfield everyday on taxpayer's money? I think Illinois would function better as an anarchy at this point from what I'm reading...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.