Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Obama Presidency Will End in Tears"

40 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Muslims don't count, they aren't real people apparently.

Posted · Report post

uh

yes?

Aren't they both of the same ethnicity? I don't know. I'm asking.

Posted · Report post

the schism between shia and sunni originally formed due to political reasons. there are some differences in the actual faith itself, but I would say the differences between evangelicals and catholics in this country is a good example. The basic idea is the same and would appear very similar to an outside observer, but to those practicing the faith, those differences (mary, saints, etc) make all the difference in the world.

the schism led to sort of a geographic balkanization. over the centuries, culture, language, religious belief, genetic makeup (due to different migrations etc) made for great difference between the arab shia and sunni groups, and they were basically forced to live together after the british mandate after ww1.

now, in their ethnicity isn't as different as say germans v jews, bosnians v kosovars, or shia v kurds (also any kurds that had remained in the south were forced to migrate north), so in that sense i guess you could argue that it's not ethnic cleansing. However, the sunnis were wiped out in baghdad. call it whatever you want, that's undeniable, as is that it was probably desired by the us government, and almost certainly had more to do with the decline in violence than did the surge.

Posted · Report post

It is most easily compared to The Troubles.