Photo
- - - - -

Are any of you IT guys?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:34 PM

Esp from a developer standpoint? I am needing a career change and have been told SQL Administration then learn some dev work

#2 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:22 AM

I'm in IT, but on infrastructure support side of things. ASP and .NET developing would be good to get into. However, I would say IT is a hard field to get in right now, especially entry level.

#3 TheSaint

TheSaint

Lengthy Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

*Moved to Nerdvana*

#4 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 6,232 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:38 AM

*Moved to Nerdvana*

My thoughts excactly.

#5 djshinodalp

djshinodalp

Huddle Curry King

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

I'm a developer and manage a dev team @ a bank in Charlotte.

If programming is a serious interest, then get into coding (Java, .NET, .ASP, etc). If not, you'll get frustrated pretty fast and have a very hard time getting an entry level job.

For breaking into IT, I will suggest one of the following -

• Learn SQL and get an Oracle certification. Buy a book on data warehousing and learn to use an ETL tool - Informatica, SSIS, etc... any. Many companies hire folks with entry level knowledge in this field and will not be as tough to break into.
  • Networking. Certify and apply everywhere.
  • Focus solely on databases - get multiple oracle certifications and work on free/part-time database jobs that you can show on your resume as work done.

#6 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

If you're talking web development, I always find people who are complete novices pickup Drupal in a few months. It is completely modular so there is little to no actual programming needed. Although, PHP is the base language it uses.

Again, if you are talking web dev - php is my language of choice. In fact, I would look into a LAMP style package that includes mySQL (as you mentioned in the OP) as the preferred database.

Anything .NET is a pretty easy learning curve, although I try to stay away from ASP.

Anything Java too is a good starting point - and I would recommend it over .NET any day.

There are tons of resources out there that will lay it all out for you - giving you an easy choice on what you might prefer.

Check out:

http://www.wrox.com/

It is basically a p2p site for all developers.

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:02 PM

If you look like a decent human being that can dress themselves and talk to people about technical issues, IT Security is a pretty good way to go.

A good DBA is always hard to find to me. If you can get SQL and Oracle in equal amounts there are probably companies that could use you.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com