• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 NJPanthers12

NJPanthers12

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:36 PM

Looking at this roster right now, what players do you consider to be the core of this team. If we were to be in the Super Bowl a few years from now what players on the current roster would you expect to be there? Just have been taking an in depth look at our roster, and looking through stats and using personal opinion of what positions I think we are good at and who I want this team to keep. Wanted everyone elses opinion as well.

#2 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

Considering how long they have been with the team, the likelihood of remaining with the team for a long period of time, and they're in game presence: Beason, DeAngelo, CJ, & Thomas Davis are honestly the only ones that come to mind for me.

#3 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,443 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:44 PM

Gamble and Gross are locked up, so they have to be in. Guys in the core that need to be re-signed:

Khalil, Williams, Beason (1 more year), CJ, James Anderson, Davis, Connor (depth, unless hes traded, he can't walk)

#4 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,391 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:44 PM

Depends how many years from now, because some of the guys might be up there in age.

I would expect a large part of our offensive line to be in tact; Kalil, Gross(depends on how long we're talking again), Otah (hopefully!), Wharton... after that, kinda not sure. Depending on how many you mean by a few, I would expect Steve Smith to be here, and honestly, Gettis and Lafell the way they've managed despite our offense. I would expect Goodson to be here in 3+ years, but I'm not sure on the others, again, depends on how long (this is no knock on Stew or Dwill, just a comment on running back age).

Kasay will probably have retired. :(

On D, I would expect our linebacking core mostly intact as long as we stick with a 4-3; Anderson, Beason, Davis could be a beasting linebacker group. I also would expect Captain to remain in some capacity and Martin to take on a bigger role. Charles Johnson will likely be an old man on the line by then, and I would expect Hardy to be contributing majorly by then because I think it's clear he has the potential.

Many other big names we have today I wouldn't expect back because of 3+ years means a lot of contracts will come up by then and I would expect us to go in different directions for some of them.

#5 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:50 PM

Considering how long they have been with the team, the likelihood of remaining with the team for a long period of time, and they're in game presence: Beason, DeAngelo, CJ, & Thomas Davis are honestly the only ones that come to mind for me.

Interesting, I would have never put CJ as part of our core. Maybe I am in the minority, but I have never been that impressed with him. Seems to just be a place holder to me.

#6 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,455 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:51 PM

John Kasay

#7 NJPanthers12

NJPanthers12

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

ok i did word this thread wrong, over the next 5 years who do you expect to be our core starters year in and year out. who is going to be our Mike Minter, Mike Rucker, Julius Peppers, Chris Gamble, etc. Players you know will be our starters year in and year out no matter what.

the way i look at it our -line is pretty set for the next 5 years with Gross-Wharton-Kalil-Otah. We do need a RG, but see how the rest of the year plays out with Schwartz.

We are pretty set at RB and hopefully will be set at QB with Luck. After that we will get a better idea next year of how big of an impact Gettis, Edwards, and LaFell will have in the future. It is unfortunate but it doesnt look like Smith will be here when we can make a run. I also love Rosario and hope a new coach finds a spot for him next year.

On defense I see Johnson, Hardy, Beason, Davis, Anderson, Gamble, Martin, and Munnerlyn strictly at the Nickel.

Right now this team still needs 2 DT, offensive line depth, Safety, cornerback, and a WR.

#8 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,443 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

Interesting, I would have never put CJ as part of our core. Maybe I am in the minority, but I have never been that impressed with him. Seems to just be a place holder to me.

??? hes leading the team in sacks

#9 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

I can see him on our team for a long while.

Forgot about Khalil, but was hesitant to put Gamble in there...maybe Wharton but I dunno (he sometimes looks gfreat, sometimes meh)

I'm hoping Martin, Munnerlyn, Anderson, and Gettis can all emerge to become long term solid players here too. They could be real good assets down the road.

#10 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:04 PM

??? hes leading the team in sacks

Leading this team in sacks holds the same weight as leading this team in TD receptions. I personally would not list CJ as a core player, but that is my opinion. If we had a better option at that position, I bet he would go back to a situational player like he was before. Just my two cents.

#11 NJPanthers12

NJPanthers12

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

QB: Andrew Luck 22
RB: DeAngelo Williams 28
FB: Tony Fiammetta 25
WR: Steve Smith 32
WR: David Gettis 24
WR: Brandon LaFell 24
TE: Dante Rosario 26
LT: Jordan Gross 31
LG: Travelle Wharton 30
C: Ryan Kalil 26
RG:
RT: Jeff Otah 25

DE: Charles Johnson 25
DT:
DT:
DE: Greg Hardy 23
SLB: James Anderson 27
MLB: Jon Beason 26
WLB: Thomas Davis 28
CB: Chris Gamble 28
SS:
FS: Sherrod Martin 26
CB:

This is a list of the players I want to be starting next year and how old they will be going into next season. That is a very young and talented team if Andrew Luck is as good as advertised. That is a core that could definitly make a run in the near future.

#12 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

Leading this team in sacks holds the same weight as leading this team in TD receptions. I personally would not list CJ as a core player, but that is my opinion. If we had a better option at that position, I bet he would go back to a situational player like he was before. Just my two cents.

My view of him is that he's been here, showed promise, and if we can finally get a huge f'n DT, he could become a 8+ sack a year type. If not, I still see him staying here a long while eventually becoming an Al Wallace type.

#13 chknwing

chknwing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,474 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

You cant set a core group of players until after the new HC evaluates them. Hes gonna want his own players. The Core of this team, may not be on the roster yet.

#14 NJPanthers12

NJPanthers12

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:10 PM

My view of him is that he's been here, showed promise, and if we can finally get a huge f'n DT, he could become a 8+ sack a year type. If not, I still see him staying here a long while eventually becoming an Al Wallace type.

I dont agree with that I believe that Charles Johnson has a lot more potential than the Principal. I loved Al Wallace rotating with Ruck and Pep but he was not as good as Johnson. I honestly think that Johnson can be as good as Rucker IF we cant get some DTs and if Hardy can create pressure from the other side.

#15 NJPanthers12

NJPanthers12

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

You cant set a core group of players until after the new HC evaluates them. Hes gonna want his own players. The Core of this team, may not be on the roster yet.

I 100% agree with this but all I am is wondering what players the fans, the people who watch every single game a year, believe are good enough to be the future of this team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.