31 replies to this topic

#16 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:12 PM

Leading this team in sacks holds the same weight as leading this team in TD receptions. I personally would not list CJ as a core player, but that is my opinion. If we had a better option at that position, I bet he would go back to a situational player like he was before. Just my two cents.

what???

#17 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:13 PM

I can see him on our team for a long while.

Forgot about Khalil, but was hesitant to put Gamble in there...maybe Wharton but I dunno (he sometimes looks gfreat, sometimes meh)

I'm hoping Martin, Munnerlyn, Anderson, and Gettis can all emerge to become long term solid players here too. They could be real good assets down the road.

the only reason i put Gamble is because he signed a 6 year deal last year (or 2008, i forget when.)

#18 WCABBall

WCABBall

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

Offensively the core is our two young receivers (lafell and gettis), d willy and goodsen, kalil, otah, gross, and Wharton. Defensively we have to keep beason long term and I wanna pair him with Anderson and conner as a depth guy. CJ and hardy are keys to the line and I love captain as a nickel and Martin at safety.

Build around this core and get a qb and we can build something quick

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

Who is the core?

He's one of those moronic nimrods from "Jersey Shore", isn't he? :sosp:

(wrong guy?) :confused:

#20 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:39 PM

haha @ Scot's spot

I dont agree with that I believe that Charles Johnson has a lot more potential than the Principal. I loved Al Wallace rotating with Ruck and Pep but he was not as good as Johnson. I honestly think that Johnson can be as good as Rucker IF we cant get some DTs and if Hardy can create pressure from the other side.

I was using Wallace as an example of someone who I felt CJ at the very least can contribute similarly to. But of course he has the potential to do a lot more. all positive

#21 NJPanthers12

NJPanthers12

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

probably the most respected and best writer on these boards in my opinion, and I am actually looking forward to what you had to say on this topic, but rather another New Jersey comment. When I first came on these boards all my topics and threads were serious and about the Panthers, but people constantly would write stuff like this so I started to be ridiculous and annoy people, but I havent done that recently was just trying to start a good topic. Oh well good input mr. scott here is some pie for your quick witted and funny comment. i guess.

#22 brandon_87

brandon_87

ooh wee mayne he dat deal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:51 PM

I say:

Williams
Beason
Kalil
Anderson
Davis
Johnson

Are all for sure players we need to keep at all costs, other players with short contracts like gettis, stewart, munnerlyn, martin, and hardy should all be made long term deals as well by the end of next year. And as bad as he has played this year, I still think Moore is valuable to this team as a backup

Edited by brandon_87, 30 November 2010 - 11:55 PM.

#23 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,408 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

When Snooki comes up to the door of a top nightclub: "Here's your $10,000 check for your appearance, Snooki"

When Mr. Scot comes up to the door of a top nightclub: "Sir, get rid of those sweatpants and come back with a pair of jeans, and it's $40 to get in"

#24 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

When Snooki comes up to the door of a top nightclub: "Here's your $10,000 check for your appearance, Snooki"

When Mr. Scot comes up to the door of a top nightclub: "Sir, get rid of those sweatpants and come back with a pair of jeans, and it's $40 to get in"

That only happened once :sosp:

(actually, I have no interest in nightclubs; and while I make as many New Jersey jokes as the next guy, this wasn't meant as one))

As far as the topic, I'm a "build from the foundations" guy (OL/DL) but I don't see those units as set yet.

#25 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:14 AM

Leading this team in sacks holds the same weight as leading this team in TD receptions. I personally would not list CJ as a core player, but that is my opinion. If we had a better option at that position, I bet he would go back to a situational player like he was before. Just my two cents.

Are you serious?!

Charles Johnson in 10 starts (pre-Browns game)
*578 snaps (273 against run plays, 288 against pass plays, 17 plays in coverage)
*33 Tackles - 2nd amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*5 sacks - Tied 18th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*3 QB Hits - Tied 36th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*33 QB Pressures - 6th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*32 Defensive Stops - 2nd amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*1 Batted Pass - Tied 14th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL

His cumulative pass rush amounts to generating pressure once every 7 pass plays, which is 8th in the NFL for 4-3 DE's (14.2% of his pass rushes results in pressure).

What this is essentially saying is that he is playing in the top 10 of 4-3 De's when pass rushing AND in the top 10 when playing the run. Combined he is having one of the most complete seasons for a 4-3 De in the NFL.

The sad thing is he is constantly beating his blocker, but due to lack of pressure across the rest of the line, when he forces the QB to move there is no one taking advantage of this. If we can get any form of consistent pressure from the RE spot or the DT position, then Johnson's pressure will either result in him completing more sacks as the QB has no where to move, or someone else taking advantage of his good play.

Note - Pressures constitute forcing the QB to move in the pocket, however this does not count when the QB simply 'steps up' into the pocket

Edited by Urrymonster, 01 December 2010 - 07:16 AM.

#26 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:36 AM

what???

Meaning the number is only 5, so not much to brag about. That was my point.

#27 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 07:43 AM

What about the other things he has to brag about, such as his tackles, pressures and defensive stops?

#28 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

and? look around him. situational pass rushers? are sacks the only measure of a DE? do you realize how foolish you sound?

#29 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:53 AM

and? look around him. situational pass rushers? are sacks the only measure of a DE? do you realize how foolish you sound?

People asked my opinion so I gave it. When I think about the Panthers core, CJ is not on my list. He is having a decent year, but I don't think he is the long-term answer. Seems like we waited for a long time for CJ to have his coming out year. I guess this is the year, but it isn't as "coming out" as I would imagine. I am not saying he is not talented, but just not part of "my core." That was my point. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

And yes, there is more to what a DE does than just sacks. Having said that, pressure has to come from somewhere and typically DE's are the ones tasked with this duty. It isn't the only thing a DE must do, but it is certainly one of the most important. Part of the problem our D has had this year is the lack of pressure. People jump on our corners, but the reality is no one can cover a pro receiver forever.

Is CJ doing fine for now - Yes. Will he be the long-term option for the Panthers - time will tell but I think not. Do you really think opposing teams are game planning against CJ? Do you think opposing teams are game planning against Beason, DWill, TD (when healthy), etc? Of course they are. Those are the types of players I consider "core."

#30 weyco2000

weyco2000

• HUDDLER
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Clausen - Hard to judge his abilities behind our line. But he will be kept if only as a backup
Williams
Goodson
Kalil
Gettis
Rosario
Barnidge
Johnson - He hasn't quit playing, I once thought he was a wasted pick.
Beason
Conner
Anderson
Godfrey - Yes he takes bad angles and yes he gets beat sometimes, but look who he's playing behind.
Martin

Gross - should be moved back to the RS or traded.
OL - Needs help
T. Davis - Great athlete but injury prone, would it be wise to invest a huge contract on a player who has had, what 3 knee surgeries?
Marshall - Gone
Gamble - This guy made over 14 million last year? Dear god, is Cecil Newton his agent?
Kasay - Love ya and thanks for the memories.
Lloyd - No comment!
DT - Big concern
Brayton - Gone
Matt Moore - Depends on new coach, probably gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com