Photo
- - - - -

Who is the core?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#31 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

QB: Andrew Luck 22
RB: DeAngelo Williams 28
FB: Tony Fiammetta 25
WR: Steve Smith 32
WR: David Gettis 24
WR: Brandon LaFell 24
TE: Dante Rosario 26
LT: Jordan Gross 31
LG: Travelle Wharton 30
C: Ryan Kalil 26
RG:
RT: Jeff Otah 25

DE: Charles Johnson 25
DT:
DT:
DE: Greg Hardy 23
SLB: James Anderson 27
MLB: Jon Beason 26
WLB: Thomas Davis 28
CB: Chris Gamble 28
SS:
FS: Sherrod Martin 26
CB:

This is a list of the players I want to be starting next year and how old they will be going into next season. That is a very young and talented team if Andrew Luck is as good as advertised. That is a core that could definitly make a run in the near future.

agreed. not sure i would call that the "core" of the team, but it ins't a bad team at all. you consider that this team also has one of the best RB corbs an LB corps in the league as is and that is pretty dynamic. holes are appropriate. huge question marks at SS, CB (though i like munnerlynn), RG, and DT. RG and DT can be fixed in FA. SS and CB...i don't know. that might be something i would want to make a couple trades for.

#32 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Are you serious?!

Charles Johnson in 10 starts (pre-Browns game)
*578 snaps (273 against run plays, 288 against pass plays, 17 plays in coverage)
*33 Tackles - 2nd amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*5 sacks - Tied 18th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*3 QB Hits - Tied 36th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*33 QB Pressures - 6th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*32 Defensive Stops - 2nd amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL
*1 Batted Pass - Tied 14th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL

His cumulative pass rush amounts to generating pressure once every 7 pass plays, which is 8th in the NFL for 4-3 DE's (14.2% of his pass rushes results in pressure).

What this is essentially saying is that he is playing in the top 10 of 4-3 De's when pass rushing AND in the top 10 when playing the run. Combined he is having one of the most complete seasons for a 4-3 De in the NFL.

The sad thing is he is constantly beating his blocker, but due to lack of pressure across the rest of the line, when he forces the QB to move there is no one taking advantage of this. If we can get any form of consistent pressure from the RE spot or the DT position, then Johnson's pressure will either result in him completing more sacks as the QB has no where to move, or someone else taking advantage of his good play.

Note - Pressures constitute forcing the QB to move in the pocket, however this does not count when the QB simply 'steps up' into the pocket

well said/argued.