• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#76 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

With 2 more regular season games, is it safe to assume we are going to a 2-game preseason? If so, and since preseason tickets are the same as reg season tickets, then is it safe to assume that increased revenues would be from tv contracts? If so, would not an expanded playoff format offer the same benefits to the league and owners, since the only difference would be national vs regional telecasts? Finally, would this not provide more bang for the buck since (I assume) playoff games get better ratings than regular season games? I am sure it is not this simple. However, playoff games offer the players more money and it means that fewer games would be played, diminishing the overall risk of injury- the players' main beef, and a legitimate one. Enlighten me. I really don't follow this CBA stuff as closely as ANYBODYHOME or some of you others.

#77 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,933 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

The issues being discussed in conjunction with the 18-game schedule:
* Increased roster size (2-3 game day actives)
* Increased practice squad size (2-3 more players)
* Changes in health coverage (apparently there's a difference in what is covered/paid during training camp and regular season)

No changes to current playoff structure, although I have read somewhere adding yet another wildcard team per conference (2 more total).

Anticipated start date would not be until 2012 earliest.

#78 1989

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Sounds very likely that we will have NFL football in 2011! Seems like as a majority owners really dont want to take off a year.

#79 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

The issues being discussed in conjunction with the 18-game schedule:
* Increased roster size (2-3 game day actives)
* Increased practice squad size (2-3 more players)
* Changes in health coverage (apparently there's a difference in what is covered/paid during training camp and regular season)

No changes to current playoff structure, although I have read somewhere adding yet another wildcard team per conference (2 more total).

Anticipated start date would not be until 2012 earliest.

a couple more issues being discussed is less practices (or at least mandatory offseason workouts) and less contact in practices.

#80 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

I see it as progress that they are still talking...

#81 DR_DIGH

DR_DIGH

Insta-poop!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

a couple more issues being discussed is less practices (or at least mandatory offseason workouts) and less contact in practices.

I would be fine with less practices and less contact in practices.........just as long as they make up for it during the games.

#82 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,302 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

yeah, the things the players are asking for are pretty reasonable, imo.

#83 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Sounds like Jeff Pash is doing a great job.

#84 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

With 2 more regular season games, is it safe to assume we are going to a 2-game preseason? If so, and since preseason tickets are the same as reg season tickets, then is it safe to assume that increased revenues would be from tv contracts? If so, would not an expanded playoff format offer the same benefits to the league and owners, since the only difference would be national vs regional telecasts? Finally, would this not provide more bang for the buck since (I assume) playoff games get better ratings than regular season games? I am sure it is not this simple. However, playoff games offer the players more money and it means that fewer games would be played, diminishing the overall risk of injury- the players' main beef, and a legitimate one. Enlighten me. I really don't follow this CBA stuff as closely as ANYBODYHOME or some of you others.

With PSls preseason games costing as much as regular season and with 60000 of the 72000 being PSl tickets for Richardson the money will be similar. But for many teams the preseason tickets are cheaper and few games are sold out. Plus most stadiums don't sell out juxury boxes for preseason.
But you are right that the TV revenues would be much bigger with national coverage and heavier advertising versus regional coverage and less advertising.
Expanding the playoff system could mean more revenue if you allowed 4 wildcards and no first round byes but it isn't something I have heard discussed much. It would be an interesting idea but would water down the importance of having the best records and getting first round byes. I am not sure the owners would support that given it allows the best 2 teams to rest and get healthy and make wildcards play another game.

#85 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:13 AM

Not much new here. That article is one sided giving the owners' point of view. It doesn't say much about the players' point of view except that they expect a lockout. Still sounds like they're not close to an agreement at all.

#86 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,933 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

Kevin Mawae, NFLPA President and former All-Pro center for the Seahawks, Jets and Titans was on Colin Cowherd's radio show today.

Mawae says the players union tried to get a deal done before the holidays and, since that has failed miserably, they are now targeting March 4 as a date to have everything done.

Issue #1: 18-Game Schedule
The biggest sticking point right now, in Mawae's words, is the 18-game schedule. He called it an "impossible sell" to the players and said it would likely never get an affirmative vote from the players. Cowherd posed the question if the owners would concede additional insurance, additional compensation and an added bye week then the players might vote positively for it.

But, Mawae added, there has to be "a lot of give from the owners and the NFL" that would include "lifelong medical care." Then went on to say "health care well beyond playing days."

Issue #2: Financial State of the Game
Mawae claims the NFL was a $9B industry last year and that every team in the NFL realized an increase in franchise value.

He also stated the salary cap has remained "stagnant the last couple years" and the teams are seeing increased revenue as a result.

Then went on to rhetorically ask how a financial deal is supposed to be worked out when the owners are "afraid to show us your books."
---------------------------------

My two cents on this goes as follows:
1. The owners and the league want an 18-game schedule, which I do not believe for a minute is the single major sticking point in the negotiations. The 18-game schedule just came up a couple months ago and the owners decided they wanted out of the CBA over a year ago. And, by the way, if the owners want an 18-game schedule and the union says, "No," guess what, there's a lockout. So the union better get off the high horse because they have zero bargaining power in this deal.

2. "Lifelong medical care" or "health care well beyond playing days." Really? Seriously? Who in this country gets "lifelong medical care" besides retired military guys like me (I pay for my own health insurance for my own reasons). How many of you on this board will get health care from your employer well beyond your working days? These guys have no concept of reality, in my opinion. Aren't NFL players really independent contractors? They each negotiate their own contracts and have the freedom to work wherever they want with a negotiated compensation package. How many independent contractors have their health care managed by the person or entity they are currently under contract to? You want helathcare- pay for it like the rest of us.

3. How does he know the NFL was a $9B industry last year if the owners don't open their books? Is this a union-conceptualized number- probably.

4. The salary cap has been far from "stagnant" as he put it. I'll call BS all day and night for that stupid comment.
Salary cap since 2005-
2005: $85.5M
2006: $102M (+19.3%)
2007: $109M (+6.8%)
2008: $116M (+6.4%)
2009: $127M (+9.4%)
This is a 48.5% increase in 5 years. Stagnant? Is that what you call this in this economy? The rest of the country is tanking financially and you call a 48.5% increase in salary base over a five-year period "stagnant?" You, sir, are a fool.

Let's clear the air on one other thing while we're at it. Aside from the publicly owned Green Bay Packers, all other NFL teams are privately owned. Privately owned businesses are not listed on the NYSE or NASDAQ or whatever and they don't have to show their books to anyone. I dare anyone here to go in and ask your boss, if you work for a privately owned company or corporation, to see the books so you can decide what kind of compensation package you want.

Look, the owners are holding all the cards and the players are not going to get a sympathetic ear from anyone. The owners are simply going to dictate the terms and if, for one split second, the players union even looks like they're going to say, "no" the owners will get up from the table and walk away, chaining up and padlocking the gates to the players' parking lots along the way and we will see no football in 2011.

#87 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

these topics should be turned into a sticky.

#88 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,609 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

Anyone know how health insurance currently works in the NFL?

What about conditions caused by play but that arise after the player retires?

Just curious if anyone knows the answer.

I am beginning to think a lockout is more and more likely, because I think the players and owners are just on two totally different pages...

#89 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,001 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

2. "Lifelong medical care" or "health care well beyond playing days." Really? Seriously? Who in this country gets "lifelong medical care" besides retired military guys like me?

actually laughed out loud here.

#90 err456

err456

err456

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

It's looking more and more like JR had good reason to worry and do some of the things he did this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com