#91 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,608 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

I hate the union.. "If the NFC South would have won we would have had it made".

#92 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,263 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

I don't know if you know this or not, but both sides are throwing out their conjecture to draw lines in the sand..

you may not agree with it, but the owners aren't exactly shining down with purity either..

#93 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 10,502 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

I hate the union.. "If the NFC South would have won we would have had it made".

fixed pet peeve

#94 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,940 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

1. The owners and the league want an 18-game schedule,

If this is really the main sticking point then this is good news

2. "Lifelong medical care" or "health care well beyond playing days."

Yes but...how many of us work in an industry where we get the crap beat out of us every week, 150 of our associates have had one or more concussions this year, the injury rate is 100% and some of our former coworkers are debilitated beyond repair?

3. How does he know the NFL was a $9B industry last year if the owners don't open their books? Is this a union-conceptualized number- probably.

Forbes puts out balance sheet and net worth statement for every team in the league. Panther had $15M in net income. these are great stats for high level discussion however the audited financials for any team is likely hundreds of pages long.

http://www.forbes.co...tions_Rank.html

I dare anyone here to go in and ask your boss, if you work for a privately owned company or corporation, to see the books so you can decide what kind of compensation package you want.

I've done it twice in compensation negotiations. Both were fine with it.

#95 Pimpdaddy

Pimpdaddy

takin it as it comes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

The players should get some extra care in the medical arena because their bodies are subjected to some horrific abuse and its getting worse every year. You can say that it is of the players own volition but the owners are making a swell buck off of them. I'll bet if Mark Richardson played football 20 years ago and isn't now able to ask for a bowl of soup because of head trauma sustained thru the years that JR would feel different.... but then again he did fire his @ss. OK bad analogy. :D

#96 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

There are two things that have surprised me that the NFLPA have not asked for:

1. an increase to roster. 52 players for 16 games +4 exhibition games is brutal for this sport; it should be at least 60 players.

2. weight limits, yes weight limits on players. The human physiology was not meant to sustain the weight that some of these players carry; the impacts on the endocrine system almost assures diables; the joints can't handle it; nor can the cardiovascular system. And really, if linemen were restricted to 260 lbs vs allowing them to balloon up past 340, and if all teams had to do it, how could it hurt. It would help tremendously, particularly if all teams were forced to do it.

#97 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• HUDDLER
  • 12,608 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

fixed pet peeve

Hank Williams Jr.

#98 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,324 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

I don't know if you know this or not, but both sides are throwing out their conjecture to draw lines in the sand..

you may not agree with it, but the owners aren't exactly shining down with purity either..

Whether or not I agree is immaterial. I do have my opinions and I would voice them with the owner's side of this if they were to speak publicly like the players continue to do. The owners and the league have pretty much closed ranks and closed their mouths. I'd love for the owners to leak something ....

#99 DR_DIGH

DR_DIGH

Insta-poop!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Yes but...how many of us work in an industry where we get the crap beat out of us every week, 150 of our associates have had one or more concussions this year, the injury rate is 100% and some of our former coworkers are debilitated beyond repair?

As the players have stated over and over in dealing with being fined for aggressive hits, they chose to play this sport. They choose to get the crap beat out of themselves every week and get paid darn well for it.

Edited by DR_DIGH, 15 December 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#100 Rhys

Rhys

Not Rhys Lloyd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

Look, the owners are holding all the cards and the players are not going to get a sympathetic ear from anyone. The owners are simply going to dictate the terms and if, for one split second, the players union even looks like they're going to say, "no" the owners will get up from the table and walk away, chaining up and padlocking the gates to the players' parking lots along the way and we will see no football in 2011.

There has to be concessions on both sides.

As much as the NFL likes to consider itself just a regular American business, it's not. It may be when you're looking at a sheet of paper, but in actuality, it isn't just a business.

As much as you all hate the NFLPA, it has to exist. Without it, the NFL would turn into a ridiculous profit machine for the Owners at the very top of their gigantic pyramid and players would sacrifice themselves physically for comparatively little in return. Just like nearly every capitalistic venture thats too big for it's own good, the ones at the very top will milk every dime out of the thing to line their own pockets.

Really it's sickening on both sides. Millionaires squabbling with billionaires on how to carve up the last sliver of pie. They're all sickeningly rich, and both sides should be f*cking ashamed that they can't reach an agreement considering how the rest of the country is fairing.

Are NFL players overpaid? Sure. Are NFL owners overpaid? Damn sure. Work a f*cking deal out you over-paid clowns, geez, do you have no humility?

#101 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,940 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

As the players have stated over and over in dealing with being fined for aggressive hits, they chose to play this sport. They choose to get the crap beat out of themselves every week and get paid darn well for it.

Silly response

Let me try to explain it more slowly.

The players did choose this sport. And the players are getting hurt more than they used to. And the owners are demanding that they play 2 more game than they used to.

Why would they not ask for some health concessions. Would be dumb not to.

I chose my profession. If something changes within my profession that makes we much worse off should my attitude be "Oh well i chose this?"

Even if I get paid well?

And also keep in mind this isn't about Peyton Manning. this is about the guy making minimum for 2 years with a foggy head and a noticeable limp for the rest of his life. Good luck getting that CFO spot with Wachovia.

#102 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

I hope they get this done before the Superbowl

#103 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

This is honestly really bad news... they won't even have discussed anything at all probably before the deadline for underclassman to declare... Likelihood of Luck staying in school just went up quite a bit...

#104 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,940 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

If you are Luck/Newton or any of the top 10 would it make sense to decalre but not hire an agent? because then you can go back to school if you want, right?

#105 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

I hope they get this done before the Superbowl

I want it done before underclassmen have to declare. Don't want this as an excuse for Luck not to declare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.