<

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Still Want to Defend Clausen?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
328 replies to this topic

#316 Third Degree

Third Degree

Socks are for your feet, silly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Exactly. I was reading an article I think from Monday's Observer where they dissected the 4th down sack. They discussed it with him and he admitted that he didn't throw the ball because he was afraid to throw an Int. First of all it was fourth down, how is an Int worse than a sack or incompletion when you are going to turn the ball over on downs if you don't make the pass. Secondly how can you be successful when instead of trying to make a play you are focused on not making a mistake. Sure if you are up 14 points then caution is appropriate, but when you are behind you have to take chances and make things happen.

This just reinforced what many folks are seeing. He is afraid to throw it down the field and doesn't trust he can make the hard throws unless a guy is wide open or it is in desperation. Anyone who has played sports at any level knows you can't be afraid to make mistakes. It just makes things worse not better and kills your confidence. Just like David Carr.

I agree but the same people here who tell him to throw it into double coverage call him an idiot after he throws into double coverage.

#317 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

I agree but the same people here who tell him to throw it into double coverage call him an idiot after he throws into double coverage.

The thing is that even with the cautious approach he has thrown 7 picks so it isn't like it is working for him anyway. No one is saying throw it into double coverage unless it is Smitty who always seems doubled up. But he won't throw it in single coverage or anytime a defender is close to the ball. He needs to throw it down the field and see what happens. He could actually make some throws and gain some confidence from it. It isn't like if he screws up we are going to jerk him out of the game. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain including messing up the Luck sweepstakes.

#318 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

at some point he needs to have faith that his receivers will make plays on balls if it's single coverage, I think. He just is afraid to make mistakes. I think yanking Moore so early really fuged him up, because his first NFL experience was that after a game and a half you get yanked if you throw INTs.

#319 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

Exactly. I was reading an article I think from Monday's Observer where they dissected the 4th down sack. They discussed it with him and he admitted that he didn't throw the ball because he was afraid to throw an Int. First of all it was fourth down, how is an Int worse than a sack or incompletion when you are going to turn the ball over on downs if you don't make the pass. Secondly how can you be successful when instead of trying to make a play you are focused on not making a mistake. Sure if you are up 14 points then caution is appropriate, but when you are behind you have to take chances and make things happen.

This just reinforced what many folks are seeing. He is afraid to throw it down the field and doesn't trust he can make the hard throws unless a guy is wide open or it is in desperation. Anyone who has played sports at any level knows you can't be afraid to make mistakes. It just makes things worse not better and kills your confidence. Just like David Carr.

He's so afraid of being the reason that we lose the game that he's not trying to be the reason that we win the game. I'm not a Moore fan but at least his motto was 'grip it and rip it'. He wasn't afraid to throw the ball to any point on the field.

#320 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

32 yards in 3 quarters isn't exactly better.

up until midway in the 4th he looked clearly better. If you recall, BSP actually looked decent until very late....he had WRs, RBs, and TE dropping easy stuff that entire game. If you watched you should have seen that or heard the announcers going on about it.

Jimmy sucks that bad. Jimmy is so bad you can compare really bad QBs to him and they look better.

Give it up dude. He is what he is.

Edited by CRA, 17 December 2010 - 09:46 AM.

#321 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:06 AM

yep, that is another reason Clausen takes the best playmaker he has out of the game. Clausen knows Smitty gets coverage......and therefore he doesn't even look that way.

#322 communist

communist

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:22 PM

Moore won a game....Moore wins games. It is really an insult to most QBs, even bad ones, to compare Clausen to them at this point.

moore won that one b/c carr had thrown an unnecessary int...

First of all it was fourth down, how is an Int worse than a sack or incompletion when you are going to turn the ball over on downs if you don't make the pass. Secondly how can you be successful when instead of trying to make a play you are focused on not making a mistake. Sure if you are up 14 points then caution is appropriate, but when you are behind you have to take chances and make things happen.

that's an absolute crap...there is a BIG difference between a sack and an interception which could be returned for a TD...

yes, in general you have to take chancec which could result in bad outcomes...but fox has stolen some part of his confidence at the beginning of the season when he named clausen to start at QB and pulled him in the same game though clausen wasn't THAT bad...

Edited by communist, 19 December 2010 - 09:29 PM.

#323 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

that's an absolute crap...there is a BIG difference between a sack and an interception which could be returned for a TD...

yes, in general you have to take chancec which could result in bad outcomes...but fox has stolen some part of his confidence at the beginning of the season when he named clausen to start at QB and pulled him in the same game though clausen wasn't THAT bad...

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. But I will toss you in with the rest of the Clausen apologists. But what will you say when he is no longer a rookie and keeps making mistakes. What will you say when Luck or Newton come in here and operate the offense better than Clausen does although he has much more experience.

Confidence comes when you try something and have success not based on how someone feels about you or what they tell you. Most of our mamas told us we were great and could do anything. But if the feedback from the world was that you weren't great or couldn't do everything then your self esteem and confidence was low. Fox isn't the reason Clausen has poor confidence, lack of success and poor play is the reason he has low confidence as well as the reason that everyone has low confidence in him as well.

#324 scpanther22

scpanther22

HUDDLER

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. But I will toss you in with the rest of the Clausen apologists. But what will you say when he is no longer a rookie and keeps making mistakes. What will you say when Luck or Newton come in here and operate the offense better than Clausen does although he has much more experience.

Confidence comes when you try something and have success not based on how someone feels about you or what they tell you. Most of our mamas told us we were great and could do anything. But if the feedback from the world was that you weren't great or couldn't do everything then your self esteem and confidence was low. Fox isn't the reason Clausen has poor confidence, lack of success and poor play is the reason he has low confidence as well as the reason that everyone has low confidence in him as well.

If we draft a guy like Newton then I dont think he will see the field in his first year...

Luck could come and start now..

#325 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:58 AM

You could fumble on a sack and have it returned for a TD, no different than an INT returned for a TD

#326 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

If we draft a guy like Newton then I dont think he will see the field in his first year...

Luck could come and start now..

That is likely true if you are trying to make him an NFL passer and want him to learn the defenses and footwork before you play him. If you do like Denver did with The Golden Calf of Bristol and let him do his thing, he could play right away as well. The trick is not do what Atlanta did with Vick though which is to never teach him how to play the offense and develop the ability to read defenses and throw the ball.

#327 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

You could fumble on a sack and have it returned for a TD, no different than an INT returned for a TD

Truth is we have shown that we can fumble the ball without the sack, just fail to catch the snap. LOL

#328 MWCarolina

MWCarolina

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

If we draft a guy like Newton then I dont think he will see the field in his first year...Luck could come and start now..

agreed, honestly, i think Clausen is a better prospect (next year) than Newton because he knows the NFL and will only improve, Newton comes from a college offense and that college offense doesnt work in the NFL, i rather stick with Clausen than gamble the number one pick on a high risk player like Newton. I think Luck is ready to start and (if we get Harbaugh as the coach) that's more reason to get him.

#329 MWCarolina

MWCarolina

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

That is likely true if you are trying to make him an NFL passer and want him to learn the defenses and footwork before you play him. If you do like Denver did with The Golden Calf of Bristol and let him do his thing, he could play right away as well. The trick is not do what Atlanta did with Vick though which is to never teach him how to play the offense and develop the ability to read defenses and throw the ball.

agree, BUT the problem is, who is going to come in and start if they draft Newton???? it cant be Newton if you want him to learn which means it's either Pike or a free agent off the street.