Anyone Still Want to Defend Clausen?

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#61 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

While I wouldn't defend Clausen and say that he is a good QB, I still would reserve judgement on his future based upon this years play.

No one on offense and 2/3rds of the D have looked nothing better than horrible all year long.

Kalil is not the future Pro-bowl C he looked like last year. Gross looks like he could be replaced with a half full sack of 'taters. Wharton was a terd when he was in the game. To be honest SS hasn't really looked like he was ever at any time the best WR in the game at one time. Williams was not inspiring and looked like a 3rd string RB, up until this game so did Stewart. King, who used to be reliable at least, is now one of the worst TE's in the league.

These are all guys that HAVE to perform at a higher level if a rookie QB is going to succeed.

I am as excited as anyone about the possibilities that Luck holds. However, if this TEAM doesn't start playing better then Luck will look just as bad or worse than Claussen does right now. You can bank on that.

last year Kalil didn't have revolving doors at both tackle positions. IMO, that is probably the biggest reason Kalil hasn't looked as good.

#62 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,029 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

So who in the f**k do you suggest that we put under center instead of Jimmy?

If you say Armanti you are f**king retard. "Lets put in a QB that ran a single wing option attack at an FBS II school to play QB!"

There is no one out there right now but Jimmy for this year. I feel bad for Luck if he declares because with the way this team is playing right now there is no QB on the face of this planet that is going to win games.

Unless the TEAM starts playing better then no new QB is going to step in and "save the day".

I agree that Clausen should start the rest of this season. There is no upside to putting anyone else in there.

Maybe (long shot) a light goes off and he starts looking and making decisions expected of even a rookie QB....however I would not get my hopes up.

#63 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

What also gets me is that people actually believe this OL has gotten this bad since last year. Gross, Wharton, and Kalil are still in tact. Last year, Schwartz was well regarded and considered an up-and-comer with solid performances in limited action. Bernadeau was well regarded as well with great measureables.

So these guys all the sudden went from that last year to scrubs? All 5 of them? At the same time?

This is my point. People would rather blame 5 guys for one individual's sake because of their homerism.

Clausen doesn't avoid pressure. He steps into it, not away from it.

#64 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Smith just took a subtle shot at Jimmy on the post game radio interview saying the sacks weren't coverage sacks and that receivers were open but not getting thrown the ball.

That's more of a shot at the Oline.

#65 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

What also gets me is that people actually believe this OL has gotten this bad since last year. Gross, Wharton, and Kalil are still in tact. Last year, Schwartz was well regarded and considered an up-and-comer with solid performances in limited action. Bernadeau was well regarded as well with great measureables.

So these guys all the sudden went from that last year to scrubs? All 5 of them? At the same time?

This is my point. People would rather blame 5 guys for one individual's sake because of their homerism.

the OL hasn't been great this year.

that said, not enough people acknowledge how a QB impacts that....especially really bad QB play. It impacts what opponents can throw at OLs and a QB's decisions can also make them look horrible.

#66 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

Smith just took a subtle shot at Jimmy on the post game radio interview saying the sacks weren't coverage sacks and that receivers were open but not getting thrown the ball.

heres what I heard.

announcer/reporter:what happened smith?
Smith: well we just sputtered out in the 2nd half. As a reciever you dont know whats happening behind you since your running downfield, ya we hear the crowd noise and turn around but by that point the refs already blowing the whistle. I will say this tho, Gettis, Lafell, and myself did a good job of getting open. I can tell you those werent coverage sacks.

then his shot at the coaching staff
Smith: we practice hard and earn our money during the week, then on sunday we get to come out and be boys and have fun. go out and draw plays up in the dirt, the plays we were drawing up just werent working.

I think the first shot was open for interpetation. Meaning it could be the o-line or clausens fault. I'm sensing some of both.

#67 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

I agree that Clausen should start the rest of this season. There is no upside to putting anyone else in there.

Maybe (long shot) a light goes off and he starts looking and making decisions expected of even a rookie QB....however I would not get my hopes up.

I have no hopes for Jimmy anymore, at least not for this year. I wouldn't go as far as some and say that he is never going to be good but he is probably more of a project than we expected.

I just get pissed with these idiots who are screaming to "put in someone else!". There is no one else, Armanti is not a pro-style QB and St. Pierre is a 30 some year old backup with absolutely NO upside or even remote potential.

Worst case scenario, we play Jimmy for the rest of the year. He gains some experience and has a friendly cap # so he is a good young back-up QB for the franchise that may develop some trade potential in the future.

#68 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

Last year, Vincent and Otah played on the right side. We ran to the right a lot.

#69 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

the oline doesnt protect him so why should i?

my new stance on the matter

#70 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,672 posts

the OL hasn't been great this year.

that said, not enough people acknowledge how a QB impacts that....especially really bad QB play. It impacts what opponents can throw at OLs and a QB's decisions can also make them look horrible.

Well, in all fairness, the OL isn't AS good as they were last year, but there's no way they are as bad as people are trying to make them look this year.

So, you did a better job of saying what I was alluding to, the QB has a bigger effect on an entire team than anyone. The offense wasn't great with Moore in there either, but they looked better. Clausen has had a ripple effect and is making the OL and WRs look bad, when in fact his inability to recognize and avoid pressure and refusal to throw downfield once he takes a hit is the real problem.

#71 jdogg66

jdogg66

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

What is funny to me is at the beginning of the season all of you were screaming to not play Clausen because our horrible coaching staff and offensive line will ruin his career. We dont have a coach on this team that could develop a qb and all of you know it. You say Clausen cant sell a play action to save his life, ok well how good of a job did Jake do of selling the play action??? He was horrible at it when he was here, but if you go back and look at the game last week all of the sudden he can sell it. Now that Jimmy is starting every week it is all his fault and has nothing to do with the fact that our coaches or OL sucks. All of you people do is jump on the bandwagon of the flavor of the month no matter what the situation is. Luck will not save this franchise, and I dont want a hyped college coach to come in here either. Since you cant yell and scream fire Fox anymore because he is all but gone we have to jump on the next best thing, which happens to be Jimmy. Its obvious that no qb will do good in the offense we have now, period. Clausen will be a good nfl qb whether its with us or someone else. Look at his freshman season at notre dame, he was hideous, and it took him time to adjust to the next level but all you people want is 15 completions and for all of them to be for 40 yards or more and nothing less

#72 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

In college Clausen got rattled really quick in games, he took alot of sacks in college .clausen just got bad pocket presents

did you see Clausen College Oline? they were terrible...

Clausen has not been playing great but seriously if anyone thinks St. Pierre was better needs to get some help.lol

#73 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

heres what I heard.

announcer/reporter:what happened smith?
Smith: well we just sputtered out in the 2nd half. As a reciever you dont know whats happening behind you since your running downfield, ya we hear the crowd noise and turn around but by that point the refs already blowing the whistle. I will say this tho, Gettis, Lafell, and myself did a good job of getting open. I can tell you those werent coverage sacks.

then his shot at the coaching staff
Smith: we practice hard and earn our money during the week, then on sunday we get to come out and be boys and have fun. go out and draw plays up in the dirt, the plays we were drawing up just werent working.

I think the first shot was open for interpetation. Meaning it could be the o-line or clausens fault. I'm sensing some of both.

I think Smitty is just saying the issue isn't the talent at WR and what they are doing. I think he wants the rest fixed and probably could blame everyone one from Fox, Jimmy, and the waterboy. WRs have been open all season. Moore missed them, Clausen doesn't step up in the pocket and try to him them. Clausen makes two plays....a check down or a throw to the sideline when it is his first read. That's it. Other than that he just scrambles instead of doing what he is suppose to.

#74 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Go back and watch every game from the NYG's game on (if you can stomach it), and tell me that this OL didn't just step off into the poo-heap.

I don't know how in the hell it happened but it did. They really aren't the OL they were last year. I couldn't tell you how but I will tell you they aren't.

No more proof is probably needed than Moore. The OL was giving him a ton of time last year and he looked like a decent QB. The OL suddenly started sucking ass and Moore has no time what-so-ever and looks like a pile of poo, practice squad QB.

#75 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

did you see Clausen College Oline? they were terrible...

Clausen has not been playing great but seriously if anyone thinks St. Pierre was better needs to get some help.lol

I was talking some trash for the fun of it there, but in all seriousness, Clausen really has looked like the worst QB we have played at anytime this season. St. Pierre didn't look bad until that 4th quarter, and that was against one of the best defenses in football.

I would've hated to see what Clausen would've looked like against that defense with all their blitzes and disguises.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.