King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

Posted Image

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (AP)—A dapper Cam Newton strolled briskly down the red carpet, smiling and acknowledging adoring fans. He paused momentarily to sign a few autographs, then rushed off to begin collecting some of his postseason hardware.

The Auburn star won the Davey O’Brien Award as the nation’s top quarterback Thursday night, when he also walked away with the Maxwell Award as the best all-around player in the country. His next stop will be New York, where he’s the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy on Saturday.

“No guy would be able to do it without a supporting cast,”
he said to an audience that included his mother, Jackie, and his coach, Gene Chizik.

Dressed in a black suit, white shirt and orange tie, Newton was the next-to-last player introduced on the red carpet for the College Football Awards Show at Disney World—just ahead of Wisconsin offensive tackle Gabe Carimi, the Outland Trophy winner as the nation’s best interior lineman.

The 6-foot-6, 250-pound quarterback led top-ranked Auburn (13-0) to the Southeastern Conference championship and a spot in the Bowl Championship Series national title game against No. 2 Oregon on Jan. 10 in Glendale, Ariz.

“I just take pride in being the person that everybody looks to for leadership and guidance,” said Newton, who answered questions during ESPN’s telecast but wasn’t available to reporters covering the event.

Newton led the SEC in rushing with 1,409 yards, while also completing 67.1 percent of his passes for 2,589 yards and 28 touchdowns. In all, he accounted for 49 TDs, scoring one on a reception and running for 20 to join former Florida star The Golden Calf of Bristol and Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick (also this year) as the only Football Bowl Subdivision players with at least 20 TDs both rushing and passing in a season.

“I think he’s the best player in the country,” said Oregon’s LaMichael James, who won the Doak Walker Award as the nation’s top running back and also is a finalist for the Heisman.

The other Heisman finalists—Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck and Boise State QB Kellen Moore—also were up for the awards Newton swept Thursday night. Earlier in the day, he won the Walter Camp player of the year award as well.

Prior to the show, Newton said in an interview with ESPN that he “did no wrong” during the recruiting process that led to him signing with Auburn.

Speaking hours before the broadcast, Newton told the network that he followed his heart in signing with the Tigers instead of Mississippi State.

“I’m a person that did no wrong,”
Newton said. “I did it the right way.”

He had not spoken publicly about the failed pay-for-play scheme involving his father, Cecil, and former Mississippi State player Kenny Rogers while the star quarterback was being recruited by the Bulldogs. The NCAA ruled that Cam Newton was unaware of the payment scheme.

After the ruling, George Lawson, the Newton family attorney, said that Cecil Newton cooperated with the NCAA.

“Cam’s father participated in the investigation truthfully and honestly in terms of what he knew and what he didn’t know, regardless of the consequences,” Lawson told WSB-TV in Atlanta.

Newton told ESPN he hadn’t directly asked his father what transpired between him and Mississippi State, but “at the end of the day I can look him in the eye and know he has my best interests at heart.”

Newton said it wasn’t for him to say if his father had done anything wrong, but he knows his father is there for him.

“My love for him is unconditional,” Cam Newton said. “This type of situation can split a family but it makes us stronger.”

Cecil Newton, whose access to Auburn athletics has been limited by the university in conjunction with the NCAA findings, said Thursday he will not attend the Heisman ceremony.

In a statement through the family’s Atlanta-based attorney he said his presence might “rob Cam and the event of a sacred moment.”

Cecil Newton said in the statement that he has made an “exhausting attempt to be a good husband, father and generally a good person of integrity.” He added that “the past 60 days have caused all that my family worked to accomplish to come into question.”

On the eve of Thursday’s awards show at Disney World, James was asked if he’d vote for Newton for the Heisman.

“I’d vote for him twice,” the running back said, smiling. “I don’t care what happens off the field. To me, he’s the best player in the country.”

Like Newton, LSU junior cornerback Patrick Peterson was a double winner Thursday night, receiving the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation’s top defensive back and the Chuck Bednarik Award as the best defensive player.

Oklahoma State had two winners, with Justin Blackmon getting the Biletnikoff Award as best receiver and kicker Dan Bailey taking the Lou Groza Award. Florida punter Chas Henry won the Ray Guy Award.

http://rivals.yahoo....collegefbawards

#2 cdandi1

cdandi1

Formerly JerryRich4Pres

• HUDDLER
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:53 AM

How bout PAtrick peterson becoming the first db to win the betnarik since Charles Woodson back in 1997; he also won the Thorpe! Congrats PP7, :claps:

#3 Cavscout

Cavscout

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

Newton 'steals' the show

#4 weyco2000

weyco2000

• HUDDLER
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:02 AM

Posted Image

http://rivals.yahoo....collegefbawards

Newton told ESPN he hadn’t directly asked his father what transpired between him and Mississippi State, but “at the end of the day I can look him in the eye and know he has my best interests at heart.”

Really??? Requesting MSU pay for his services, great dad!!! Cecil will probably have those trophies on ebay tomorrow.

Newton said it wasn’t for him to say if his father had done anything wrong, but he knows his father is there for him.

As long as the money is there, sure. Why won't Cecil attend the Heisman award presentation...because he's ashamed and I can't blame him.

The other Heisman finalists—Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck and Boise State QB Kellen Moore—also were up for the awards Newton swept Thursday night. Earlier in the day, he won the Walter Camp player of the year award as well.

Yeah those guys are white and can't play, Moore is 37-2 as a starter and Luck is projected as the 1st pick in the draft. The Panthers will never draft a guy with Cam's history, JR still retains a bit of class.

#5 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

Yeah those guys are white and can't play, Moore is 37-2 as a starter and Luck is projected as the 1st pick in the draft. The Panthers will never draft a guy with Cam's history, JR still retains a bit of class.

If the Panthers want to settle for second best as far as talent at QB goes thats their businesss. Im sure Cam will be heartbroken if he cant play for a losing franchise like ours. Bad franchises are bad franchises because they make bad decisions. I trust the Panthers to pick the wrong guy.

#6 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

It's not that the Panthers wouldn't draft Cam Newton because of his character issues; they wouldn't draft him because he's not the best QB in the draft.

#7 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

It's not that the Panthers wouldn't draft Cam Newton because of his character issues; they wouldn't draft him because he's not the best QB in the draft.

Cam is easily the best QB in the draft by far which is why he's sweeping the awards. He's also the best fit for the Panthers given his style of play. Unfortunately, Cam is not white so he will be ignored and written off by a huge chunk of our fanbase (like all black QBs are) and doesnt have a chance to be drafted by the Panthers. But the team that does draft him will be very happy and will have a stud of a QB on their hands. Those other QBs are being hyped over "potential" and the hope one day they will become Tom Brady. Even if you give the Panthers the #1 draft pick they still run from the black quarterback. LOL.

#8 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Cam is easily the best QB in the draft by far which is why he's sweeping the awards. He's also the best fit for the Panthers given his style of play. Unfortunately, Cam is not white so he will be ignored and written off by a huge chunk of our fanbase (like all black QBs are) and doesnt have a chance to be drafted by the Panthers. But the team that does draft him will be very happy and will have a stud of a QB on their hands. Those other QBs are being hyped over "potential" and the hope one day they will become Tom Brady. Even if you give the Panthers the #1 draft pick they still run from the black quarterback. LOL.

I just don't understand why you have to keep up with this stuff.
We have chatted before any you have a good head for football, but when you get into racist accusations it really makes me sad.

Cam is a great prospect, Luck is better. If we don't have a chance to get Luck I truely hope we get Cam. Cam, (by all accounts) will take more developement as he doesn't play in a pro-style offense. Not as much as The Golden Calf of Bristol for Cam has a better release by miles. Luck and Newton are the only QB's I would touch in this draft. Mallett is a choker/thug and Locker another measurables guy.

#9 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

I know you're trolling, but I'll play along.

College awards have absolutely no bearing on NFL potential. It's not only why winning a Heisman not only has zero assurances a player will be successful in the pros, it's why most Heisman winners over the past 20 years have done dick after college, particularly QBs.

Cam is the best college QB this year hands down. And he's probably one of the best college players of the past decade. But that has absolutely nothing to do with his NFL potential. Awards are entirely meaningless. No one gives a poo in the NFL what awards you've won. It's why Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Chris Weinke and Carson Palmer are all now considered losers. Because they all suck and are only known for what they did in college.

Most projections note that he'll need several years of coaching and mechanical corrections to get him to adjust to the pro game. Eventually he has the potential to be a great player, but he's not going to step into the game Week 1 like a Luck or Mallett who could come in from Day 1 and compete.

IMO, and many others, he's the 2nd or 3rd best NFL QB prospect in the draft this year, and there's not much real debate about that. If he has an amazing combine or tears Oregon a new one in BCS game, he could pass everyone not named Luck (ala what Vince Young did in the Rose Bowl years ago) in the draft, but currently he's not "easily the best QB in the draft by far" to anyone other than you and your coterie of "woe is the black man" trolls. We'd take Flava Flav and Wesley Snipes' love child in Carolina if they were the best player available. But alas, they're not, and Andrew Luck is,

Posted Image

#10 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

I just don't understand why you have to keep up with this stuff.
We have chatted before any you have a good head for football, but when you get into racist accusations it really makes me sad.

Kurb its the worst kept secret in sports. This team and fanbase doesnt want a black QB. This is common knowledge. Why you guys think nobody sees or understands this is beyond me. Thats the image we project to the rest of the NFL and the rest of NFL fans. We would never draft a player like Cam, no matter how super religious he is. Every black QB gets demonized and potrayed as a character issue here. Its the only way to keep some QBs elevated above others since they're not good enough to do so on the field. I trust this organization to take the wrong guy. They've done it before numerous times. Losing franchises are losing franchises for a reason. It doesnt happen by accident.

Cam is a great prospect, Luck is better. If we don't have a chance to get Luck I truely hope we get Cam. Cam, (by all accounts) will take more developement as he doesn't play in a pro-style offense. Not as much as The Golden Calf of Bristol for Cam has a better release by miles. Luck and Newton are the only QB's I would touch in this draft. Mallett is a choker/thug and Locker another measurables guy.

Kurb you really believe that? Cam is the best fit for our system. This team isnt going anywhere until it gets a mobile QB. The "pro style" argument is so bogus. Jimmy Clausen was in a "pro style" system last year. Not working out too well. Matt Leinart played in a "pro style" system. Tim Couch came from a "pro style" system. I dont doubt Luck will be a good player in the league, and I fully expect him to be our next QB if we get the #1 pick, but to say he's better than Cam or the best QB is laughable. If he were, he'd be winning awards and playing for the national championship.

#11 Vagrant

Vagrant

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

Quarterbacks that win the Heisman are rarely NFL ready prospects. In fact, one could argue that a Heisman is almost a harbinger to overcome in terms of having success in pro style offenses.

Here is the last 10 QB to win the Heisman:

Sam Bradford
The Golden Calf of Bristol
Troy Smith
Matt Leinart
Jason White
Carson Palmer
Eric Crouch
Chris Weinke
Danny Wuerffel
Charlie Ward

#12 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

I know you're trolling, but I'll play along.

I'm really not. I just think its sad just how afraid this fanbase is.

College awards have absolutely no bearing on NFL potential. It's not only why winning a Heisman not only has zero assurances a player will be successful in the pros, it's why most Heisman winners over the past 20 years have done dick after college, particularly QBs.

And if Luck were winning awards it would be used as a case of why he's the best.

Cam is the best college QB this year hands down. And he's probably one of the best college players of the past decade. But that has absolutely nothing to do with his NFL potential. Awards are entirely meaningless. No one gives a poo in the NFL what awards you've won. It's why Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Chris Weinke and Carson Palmer are all now considered losers. Because they all suck and are only known for what they did in college.

Pac-10 defenses are worthless. Vince Young did not win the Heisman, so dont know why you threw his name in there. And call him anything, but loser he is not.

Most projections note that he'll need several years of coaching and mechanical corrections to get him to adjust to the pro game. Eventually he has the potential to be a great player, but he's not going to step into the game Week 1 like a Luck or Mallett who could come in from Day 1 and compete.

Most projections said Alex Smith would take over the league with his arm and mobility in and out of the pocket. Most pundits said The Golden Calf of Bristol wouldnt be drafted til the 3rd round or 2nd day. Those guys are wrong every year.

IMO, and many others, he's the 2nd or 3rd best NFL QB prospect in the draft this year, and there's not much real debate about that. If he has an amazing combine or tears Oregon a new one in BCS game, he could pass everyone not named Luck (ala what Vince Young did in the Rose Bowl years ago) in the draft, but currently he's not "easily the best QB in the draft by far" to anyone other than you and your coterie of "woe is the black man" trolls. We'd take Flava Flav and Wesley Snipes' love child in Carolina if they were the best player available. But alas, they're not, and Andrew Luck is,

"woe is the black man". LMAO. "woe is Carolina". Dude, Im tryna help us out, Cam and the black QBs are fine. Im sure Michael Vick is hurt he's not doing what he's doing as a Panther. If the Panthers arent smart enough to know Cam is their best option, that hurts them. Cam will be drafted and will be a player in this league. Im just astounded how we keep drafting and pinning our hopes on the same type of player over and over and expect different results. Its insanity.

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,598 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

I'm really not. I just think its sad just how afraid this fanbase is.

Now just the other day you were saying that you were only pointing out "certain posters" now here you are AGAIN saying that it's the entire fanbase that doesn't want a black QB... you can't even keep the things you say straight. Nice job King Troll.

#14 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

KT the thing that bothers me is when you say "this fanbase" you are including me.

Me, Kurb, who has wanted Jason Campbell and Troy Smith here this past offseason.
Who would love to have Cam here if Luck wasn't there.

I don't know if you really believe the extremes of what you post.

Anywho, I'm not going to feed into it any more than I have. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

#15 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

Now just the other day you were saying that you were only pointing out "certain posters" now here you are AGAIN saying that it's the entire fanbase that doesn't want a black QB... you can't even keep the things you say straight. Nice job King Troll.

Well let me be clear then. Im sure there are plenty of people in this fanbase who would have no problem with a Cam or a black QB that could help us win games. Im sure there is even a small fraction of us who would prefer a guy like Cam first and foremost. Sadly, those people are dwarfed and clearly outnumbered by the folks in our fanbase who dont want a black QB. Their first preference no matter what will always be a white QB. I expect those fans to portray every black QB as a risk and a project that could ruin our franchise if we select him. As for our organization, most times they will go with "safe" over whats best for them. I trust this organization to pick the guy they find the "safest".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.