Seamonk

kekekekekeke

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Va

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

we're not going to run the tampa-2

We probably aren't, but even Tampa-2 teams don't run Tampa 2 coverage all the time. We'll probably have a package associated with it.

#18 Peppermint9030

Peppermint9030

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

We probably aren't, but even Tampa-2 teams don't run Tampa 2 coverage all the time. We'll probably have a package associated with it.

no i agree with you a %100 our lbs are fine, and our secondary is, but no matter what d we run, this line wont cut it.

#19 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Why not? We already run alot of cover 2 and the only big diifference is putting the middle linebacker further back in coverage. Beason has the ability to play in space as well as crash the line.

I am not a great proponent of the cover 2/Tampa 2 unless we can get a lot of pressure. Still there are some teams that do very well with it. Perhaps Meeks can do what Lewis could not which is to teach our secondary how to play zone. If we could be as consistent on defense as Tampa, I am sure I could learn to like it. It has always been said that it doesn't take as good an athlete to play in a system like a Tampa 2 compared to a man scheme. They are good tacklers and hitters but not great cover guys.

#20 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,775 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

cover 2 is not a package, it's a whole system.

Fox would be foolish to not run it and just make Meeks (who has actually been a better defensive coordinator than he was) call his plays.

#21 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

There is no chance in hell we a running Tampa-2. That formation is weak against the run, so you need outstanding run stuffing DTs. The Colts can play Tampa-2 without run stuffers because they score a sh*tload of points and opposing teams MUST throw to keep up. We're not running Tampa-2 without Peyton Manning, or big changes at the DT postion.

#22 Peppermint9030

Peppermint9030

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

so we brought in meeks to call foxs plays?

#23 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,505 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

There is no chance in hell we a running Tampa-2. That formation is weak against the run, so you need outstanding run stuffing DTs. The Colts can play Tampa-2 without run stuffers because they score a sh*tload of points and opposing teams MUST throw to keep up. We're not running Tampa-2 without Peyton Manning, or big changes at the DT postion.

The Tampa 2 doesn't have to be weak against the run. Tampa has been close to us in run defense for the past 4 or 5 years. Plus their passing defense has been better. Teams run against them because they struggle to pass against them not because it is easy. It is true that the middle linebacker plays deeper in coverage but it just means he has to be mobile and quick which Beason surely is.

If we keep some big guys on the Dline we can be good against the run and the pass. Might be an opportunity for a little guy Like Hillee Taylor to get some PT. He should be around 255 by the time the season starts next year.

#24 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:04 PM

I'll be happy to see the Tampa-2 when we get a LB faster than Diggs, and DT better than Lewis. Even then I don't like Tampa-2. I just don't like it lol. Yes it's better verses the deep pass.

#25 panthersphan

panthersphan

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

well in the fox era..i cant think of one big free agent signing...

Keyshawn!

#26 Peppermint9030

Peppermint9030

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:08 PM

ken lucas, mike whale, nail diggs,

#27 bryn10

bryn10

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

ken lucas, mike whale, nail diggs,

Yeah I was about to say Mike Whale, he was the top rate Free Agent O Line player that year

#28 Mesmer

Mesmer

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

I guess everyone forgot about Stephen Davis. :( That was huge.

#29 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,823 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

so we brought in meeks to call foxs plays?

yes.

catch up.

one thing that i keep hearing, though, is this word "teacher" used to describe meeks.

one of the complaints i kept hearing from the players and some coaches is that the problem was with the players making mistakes.

if meeks is a good teacher and trgo was incapable of teaching them how to work the defense then meeks might do some good.

we'll see.

#30 Mesmer

Mesmer

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:37 PM

yes.

catch up.

one thing that i keep hearing, though, is this word "teacher" used to describe meeks.

one of the complaints i kept hearing from the players and some coaches is that the problem was with the players making mistakes.

if meeks is a good teacher and trgo was incapable of teaching them how to work the defense then meeks might do some good.

we'll see.

That's on positional coaches a lot more than it is on the defensive coordinator. Oh well, at least they'll all be new faces too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.