Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Rooney Rule....

168 posts in this topic

Posted

Actually the men are the minority in the US. Its like gender apartheid.

Posted

You make some good points here. But my thing is, if an owner already has some predisposed bias against black coaches, do you really think an interview is going to change his opinion?

they cant force the owner to hire anyone but the NFL can at least make sure that minority coaches get a interview. About 70 percent of the NFL players is black..when only about 20 percent of the NFL head coaches are black..now the percents maybe a lil higher or lower but not by much and clearly show i need for the rule

Posted

Is the league 70% female?

Maybe white NBA players, since they're the minority, deserve more consideration for roster spots.

Posted

John Fox never even played in the NFL.

Clearly, experience as an NFL player is only a fraction of the overall picture in hiring a coach.

No?

Posted

they cant force the owner to hire anyone but the NFL can at least make sure that minority coaches get a interview. About 70 percent of the NFL players is black..when only about 20 percent of the NFL head coaches are black..now the percents maybe a lil higher or lower but not by much and clearly show i need for the rule

The % of players who are black in the NFL is completely irrelevant.

If someone is not hiring an African American coach because of his race, then that is wrong.

But, forcing teams to hire someone because of his race is equally wrong.

Posted

No one forces teams to hire anyone.

Posted

I've never really agreed with the percentage argument... if you're going to argue that if70% of the players are minority, then an equal number of coaches should be, why can't you argue that the players percentages should match that of the general population? Because neither argument makes sense, you want the best players out there not just a certain percentage of any group... same with coaches.

Posted

Maybe white NBA players, since they're the minority, deserve more consideration for roster spots.

Kiki Vandeweghe

John Paxson

Jim Paxson

Steve Kerr

Danny Ferry

Danny Ainge

Kevin McHale

Larry Bird

Mitch Kupchak

Chris Mullin

There's 10 former white NBA players who are current GMs in the league. Now give me the names of 10 former black NFL players who are GMs in the NFL. Ill even go further and allow you to include ones who arent current. Give me 10. LOL.

Posted

Before the Rooney Rule you had what? 2 black head coaches in a league that is 70% black? Its the truth. Look at NCAA football, their track record of hiring black head coaches is HORRIBLE. 119 schools, thousands of black athletes, but only 4 black head coaches. Its a joke. The NBA doesnt have a Rooney Rule. You know why? Because there's a plethora of black NBA head coaches hired and given opportunities every year. The owners dont need to police themselves because they dont have a problem finding black head coaches. NFL owners did, thats why they all (yes all 30 teams) agreed this needed to be put in place.

So because someone is black they're entitled to a shot at a job regardless of anything else? That's flat out racist and that makes me sick. How many black people are trying to compete for these coaching jobs? You do realize only 13.4% of the US is black right? What about the fact that there are no Asian or Mexican coaches?

Tony Dungy would have been an NFL head coach regardless of whether or not he was black. Same for Lovie Smith, same for Mike Tomlin, etc. Just getting an interview doesn't really do much if someone isn't willing to hire a black coach to begin with. This really does nothing to solve he issue of racism, only a problem with perception from the outside.

In fact your point about the NBA only proves what the rest of us are saying whether you want to believe it or not. Owners are gonna hire the person who is going to make them the most money or going to give them the best chance of winning.

Posted

Kiki Vandeweghe

John Paxson

Jim Paxson

Steve Kerr

Danny Ferry

Danny Ainge

Kevin McHale

Larry Bird

Mitch Kupchak

Chris Mullin

There's 10 former white NBA players who are current GMs in the league. Now give me the names of 10 former black NFL players who are GMs in the NFL. Ill even go further and allow you to include ones who arent current. Give me 10. LOL.

Give me a list of all current starting white cornerbacks, halfbacks, etc. Just because a certain race happens to be more prominent means nothing in this day and age.

Instead of straw manning, why don't you actually address the point?

Posted

Give me a list of all current starting white cornerbacks, halfbacks, etc. Just because a certain race happens to be more prominent means nothing in this day and age.

Instead of straw manning, why don't you actually address the point?

We're not talking about opportunities on the field in this discussion. We're talking about opportunities and diversity in leadership and management. And how when it comes to that, the NBA is kicking the NFLs ass literally.

Posted

I would love to have midgets coaching. The only problem would be if he wins the Superbowl or even a conference championship, he may drown from having the giant cooler of gatorade dumped on him. They'd have to bring in a thermos I guess.

But if he survives that, and in that moment of victory gets a ride on his teams shoulders he would finally know what life is like not sniffing others crotches all day long.

As far as the Rooney rule, I'm OK with it. But in fairness they should invite more white athletes to the Combine so they would have a fair shot at playing in the NFL. After all, the black athlete makes most of the money in the League.